• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Identify this old Shotgun

My Wife's cousin has this old shotgun, and I'm looking for help in identifying the maker or finding more information.

It is 12 gauge...

There are absolutely NO markings or stamps I can find on it. I even took the buttplate off to see if there was anything under that - nope.

Barrel is 36" long.
Overall length muzzle to end of buttstock is 53 1/4 " LONG !

update 2/7:

Some info from other forums :

Shotgun World :

"Lo0ks like a Stevens No. 30 introduced in 1873, made first by J. Stevens Co. to 1886 and from 1886 on by J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. up to about 1900."

On Gunboards.com sefveral comments:

- the buttstock was marked by the old method of burning cords wrapped around it. The frame is a brass casting, and it and all the pieces seem machine made. The final fitting with files is typical of the shotgun makers prior to high precision NC equipment. I suspect it was made for the "Hardware Store" trade with the retailer's name to be stamped on it. There are so many old single barrel shotguns there's been little collector interest in organizing and cataloging them. But this one is unique because of the attractive brass frame.

- That`s a Stevens Tip Up, old one too, it is one of the first with the brass receiver.........

shotgun_fullLeft.jpg

shotgun_leftClose.jpg

shotgun_rightstock.jpg

shotgun_rightclose.jpg

Last edited:
No serial number, oh lordy how could you ever register it?/sarcasm

what is this term "register it" that you speak of....do you mean to register it into some historical museum catalog...

???

Fit in the rear window....I don't think so, it's pretty long....maybe in an Old 1960's wide body pickup, but definately not in my 2004 Tacoma !!

Sell it -> Yes, I think our Cousin who owns it is interested in selling it once she finds out more about it.

Last edited:
Can't help with the ID, but it's a cool piece. Especially the buttstock.

Certainly a unique piece. Beautiful stock, even with the cracked wrist. Looks like tiger/curly maple. You may never identify it as it could have been made in a small shop, possibly one of a kind.

Just confirming..nothing at all on the water table? Symbols even?

OK,....what is a "water table"...???

I did take the handguard off the barrel, nothing under there , no markings, nothing.

I've been over this thing with a magnifying glass...no marks.

OK, now I know a new gun term !!!

Checked the "water-table"....nothing, even under the Magnifying glass....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom