Help Identify My K98 Mauser

I have, to the best of my knowledge, a K98 Mauser. It's chambered in 8mm Mauser. On top of the receiver, the only markings are "dot, u, 1943". On the side of the receiver is "1446, Mod.98". There are no other markings on the firearm at all, and the stock has been cut down at some point. It has the "bent" bolt handle, with the small recess on the stock. I would like to know, if anyone can tell me where/who made the rifle. I am also curious why there are no other markings of any kind. I expected it to have some type of seal, such as a nazi eagle. Thanks.

The rifle was made at the Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka, A.S. (Czechoslovakian Arms Factory, Inc.) Brno, then Czechoslovakia, which the Germans renamed Waffen Werke Brunn when they were in charge, and it was made in 1943.

From your brief description, I would assume the rifle to be a K98K, perhaps a Russian capture/return. Is there an import stamp?

ETA: if the stock is "duffle cut," with no other import markings, then the weapon may be a vet bring-back. There's a great thread on a duffle cut Mauser here:

Last edited:
I am also curious why there are no other markings of any kind. I expected it to have some type of seal, such as a nazi eagle. Thanks.

If they haven't been ground off, you will in fact find several of them.
There should be several "Eagle over WaA63" acceptance marks, though no seal on the top of receiver.
Check the forward r/h side of the receiver for example.

A good reference is "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by Richard Law.

Thanks for all the great information. In response to the questions, no there are no import markings. Also, I have gone over the rifle with a fine tooth come, and can't find any markings, nor can I find any evidence that they may have been ground off.

The stock itself as been shortened and all the markings/wholes have been filled in with some type of crappy epoxy. I want to replace the stock with an original stock. I assume I want to look for German K98 stocks...right?

Your best quality for a replacement stock is a fellow by the name of Mario in Norway. He goes by mei5 on ebay, and has his own web site. He deals in Norweigan captured K98k stocks. For some reason I'm not sure of, Norway destroyed the rifle actions, but the completely matching stocks were preserved and have recently been released. For a premium you can get a completely matching wood and metal stock. I have gotten two from him; one a 1936 WaA63 (Obendorf; this one also had a matching triggerguard and floorplate.), walnut stock for my 1935 S/42G (Obendorf), and a 1943 WaA623 (Steyr) Walnut stock for my 1943 bnz (Steyr). The pair cost me $480, but I made $250 selling my old RC stocks on ebay. You can of course pay less and go the bits and pieces route. If your rifle is a bolt MM bringback, meaning mostly complete, for value purposes, your best bet for authenticity and value would be a Norweigan capture stock.

MS

Back
Top Bottom