Help finding a butcher

Can anyone suggest a butcher north of Boston who will dress ducks, geese or turkeys.
Maybe phrase your request in a different way: "Anyone north of Boston slaughtering your own turkeys, ducks or geese for the holidays? Would be glad to help in exchange for OJT."

I'd possibly consider such an offer except we're a bit too far away (north-central MA).

I have a very busy schedule and would rather pay someone to dress the carcass.

Yeahhhhh you probably should reasses your hunting dude. If youd rather pay someone, just go to stop and shop, and obtain your bird there.

If the availability of time is the factor, a bird can be breasted within a minute's time. Plucking a bird clean is another story.

It's too easy to butcher birds. Probably take you longer driving to a spot than doing it yourself. My dog loves the left overs. Fry them organs up for him and he is drooling. That's the best part-not wasting anything.

Adams farm in Athol, or Blood Farm in Groton
Not sure Blood Farm is open again yet. Don't know whether either do poultry.

If the availability of time is the factor, a bird can be breasted within a minute's time. Plucking a bird clean is another story.
A third option is skinning. Takes more time than breasting but less than plucking. That's how we process our ducks because we find plucking a duck to be much more work than doing a chicken or turkey. It's just not worth the effort for the amount of meat.

Not sure Blood Farm is open again yet. Don't know whether either do poultry.

A third option is skinning. Takes more time than breasting but less than plucking. That's how we process our ducks because we find plucking a duck to be much more work than doing a chicken or turkey. It's just not worth the effort for the amount of meat.

Here is another vote for skinning. It will take you much less time to skin a bird than to take it to a butcher.

But, But, Gentlemen don't do such activities that is for the peasants and lowly servants to do, Don't you know.

Enough. He asked an honest question. What business is it of anyone's as to why he wants to pay to have it done?

I don't understand how some of you get wrapped around the axle over such trivial shit.

Unless you're chucking a handmade wooden spear around you're not a traditional hunter.

I have a problem getting rid of the carcasses, depending on the size and day of week. Same with fish. Birds or fish a day or two before trash day are fine. Deer not so much. Two of my spots got closed to hunting because of a**holes dumping deer carcasses there.

I have a problem getting rid of the carcasses, depending on the size and day of week. Same with fish. Birds or fish a day or two before trash day are fine. Deer not so much. Two of my spots got closed to hunting because of a**holes dumping deer carcasses there.
You can send the carcass to PETA via UPS. Jack.

The birds, I began putting in the freezer, for a coyote baitcicle during the colder months (Jan-Mar).

Fish, I try to get back into the water/food chain.

Haven't had to deal with a deer yet. What do processors do with them?

I have a very busy schedule and would rather pay someone to dress the carcass.

I'm not being a dick like some of these guys in suggesting you try it yourself. I was hesitant at first too......don't sell yourself short......watch some youtube vids and give it a try. It's actually quite a satisfying experience......and probably doesn't take as long as you think.

I've never hunted any birds, but I can't imagine taking one to a butcher.

"I have a very busy schedule and would rather pay someone to dress the carcass."

Surely you have two spare minutes....

Last edited by a moderator:

"I have a very busy schedule and would rather pay someone to dress the carcass."

2 mins is about 1:15 more than you need too. [grin] After a few it should only take you a minute to do one OP.

You can also do pheasant similar to the way he does the duck.

-kg

Grouse too

Any upland game bird is a snap. The legs and wings have very little meat anyway. Just breast em like in the video and be done with it. Squirrel and rabbit are a little more involved but I was surprised my first time at how easy the skin peals back.......like taking off a sweater :)

Step on the wings, pull hard on the feet. Works great for a variety of smaller birds. Then you rip off the breast plate, nice and clean and fast. I doubt you will find some butcher to do this work for you.

I go deer hunting as much as I can and one day hope to get a deer. Now if that happens I will hope I can find a butcher to cut the deer up and package it for me. I have asked for buther recommendations and most say DIY. That is nice and all but to be honest just getting out and hunting (for me) wipes me for days. Would I have and issue doing it myself if physically able, nope but in my case it is worth it to pay someone to have it done. Sometimes being a para has it's draw backs and that butchering maybe one of them. In the end if I get one I may end up over a friends to do it myself who knows, but for most to only say DIY instead on answering peoples questions is getting old here.

Damn! I've never seen it done like that! Can do that at the marsh before the drive home.

Thanks for the help to those of you who aren't "I skin my game with my own teeth guys"
I was under the assumption that I had to pluck etc. I guess that's not the case.

Thanks for the help to those of you who aren't "I skin my game with my own teeth guys"
I was under the assumption that I had to pluck etc. I guess that's not the case.
If you want to get fancy with it, some poultry shears can come in handy. Bandage shears can also work.

Back
Top Bottom