• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help choosing mini-split, installing tubing, pulling vacuum and hooking up to power in Harvard MA

quinnjalan

NES Member
Like the heading says I need help choosing a mini-split (AC and heat), installing the tubing, pulling a vacuum and hooking it up to power. I'm located in Harvard MA and I have started researching units. I would like to go with a brand name and spend more over a no name from HD of Lowes. Space is 21' long by 7' wide by 8' - 2" tall, very well insulated (floor, ceiling and all walls) with an insulated door at either end and two small double hung windows on the 21' NW wall. The other 21' wall on the SE is between me and the garage. So, the space does not get direct sun really any time. Power is installed outside from recent renovation and my electrician said the unit need to draw 30 or under amps. The panel in the garage has two dedicated circuits installed during renovation. I will buy and install both the wall unit and outdoor condenser , drill hole in wall and have everything ready for you to installing the tubing, pull a vacuum, hook it up to power and spin it up. However, I would like you to come take a look before I buy.

I fully expect to part with money as your time is definitely worth it, but I cannot justify spending what I was estimated when we had two other mini-splits installed in the house a few years ago. I have no particular time line but would like it in before Summer hits.

PM or reply here if you are interested in helping. Thanks all.

PS: This is the unit I'm thinking of getting and we have two Mitsubishi in the house.

I put in a Mr. Cool unit this fall, they had very good reviews and are fairly inexpensive. It’s in my over garage office, which is 28x32 with 8’ ceilings and with the 24k btu unit I had no issues for heating, I’ll find out about cooling pretty soon, though on a few of the warm days we’ve had I’ve kicked it over to cool and it cooled down very quickly.

They come with either pre charged or pre vacuumed lines, in 25’ sections. Just connect everything up, open the valves on the outdoor unit, attach the wiring from the wall unit to the outdoor unit and give it 220VAC at the outdoor unit. All in all took me 3 hours to install including running power with zero HVAC experience. I paid $2k plus another 50 for a wall bracket for the outside unit.

I was quoted 8k from a local guy to install one.

Back
Top Bottom