• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help buying a Holster

Core makes a great adjustable click type belt with a ton of options, there’s a bunch of others that are just as good. Being able to adjust your carry belt in 1/4” increments is really nice and being able to adjust on the spot is even better!

remember holsters can be modified easily, basic kydex witch some leather glues to the side against the body, a couple layers of closed cell foam glued as a wedge. one of my favorite holsters is a homebrew kydex made by a member here.I added my own wedge and tweaked the belt clip and it is very comfortable.

Fanny pack. Done.

If you are wearing an untucked shirt or jacket, a leather OWB pancake holster will sufficiently conceal a full size. And it's far more comfortable than kydex. Did this for years with a S&W 59

Fanny pack. Done.

I are disappoint.

HPG Master-Race represent:

The MOST comfortable way I have found to carry is OWB, with a good belt, and skip the belt loop at 3:00.
Like everyone else, I have tried damnnear everything, Cross breeds, Milt Sparks etc. etc. I have tried appendickectomy carry, and just don't care for it.
I'm sure I will get flamed for this by the holster snobs, but I love a Galco Concealable Belt Holster, again skip the loop at 3:00 and you can slide the gun forward for max concealment, slide it aft when you jump in the truck and it's very comfortable.
I'm roughly the size of an NFL Linebacker (retired lol) at about 260ish, and I carried a Sig 229 like this for years with no issues. Obviously, you have to be able to dress untucked.
Leather_holster_OWB_Concealable_1_black.jpg

I also have the Miami Classic II for my Sigs, 1911's and bigger Wheel guns, and they are cool when you can conceal them, this is the most comfortable way to carry a larger handgun, for me.
My EDC is a 365 in a Versa Max and it is comfortable enough and it works

Last edited:
Must be a cheap holster thing. I've carried exclusively in leather, I hate kydex, and have never experienced this.
Nope. I’ve had creaking from expensive custom leather holsters from Milt Sparks, Rusty Sherrick, Lou Alessi, etc. Kydex doesn’t creak when you move around, but it does make noise when you draw.

I only buy Kydex these days.

I'm not sure that a preference for a slower draw and less safety is "old fashioned" but to each his own.
I don’t see how it’s a slower draw or less safe. I’ve never had any problems in that regard. Having been in a few fights over the years where the other guy attempted to snatch my weapon, I can tell you that it’s about a lot more than the holster.

I don’t see how it’s a slower draw or less safe. I’ve never had any problems in that regard. Having been in a few fights over the years where the other guy attempted to snatch my weapon, I can tell you that it’s about a lot more than the holster.
A thumb break is slower and soft holster material is more likely to flex into the trigger guard than a hard material.

What's the best style holster for concealed carry for a full size football player?

Carrying on the hip with the hard plastic hkvp9 holster is painful

I was thinking of options like under the armpit or maybe in front of chest or belly.

Any thoughts , input ?? No clue where to start or what's out there / popular etc

Thanks
Are we talking wide receiver or left tackle body style?

Nope. I’ve had creaking from expensive custom leather holsters from Milt Sparks, Rusty Sherrick, Lou Alessi, etc. Kydex doesn’t creak when you move around, but it does make noise when you draw.

I only buy Kydex these days.
You may have a point there. I buy quality but not custom hand made, you examples are all custom hand made. Maybe they are just not up to the consistency and repeated high quality that a production factory can deliver. Hand made is fine if you want special, I've got some nice hand made stuff and prefer the variety of single malt scotch to whiskey. But when it's all about function and not looks it's hard to beat the large production that has the opportunity to tweak the design to perfection, over a shop that hand makes a small quantity.

You may have a point there. I buy quality but not custom hand made, you examples are all custom hand made. Maybe they are just not up to the consistency and repeated high quality that a production factory can deliver. Hand made is fine if you want special,
[rofl2] [rofl]

I’ve had a number of production leather holsters as well as custom leather holsters. I’ve never found a production holster that can stand up to the quality of a custom holster from a good holster maker. Custom holsters are made from better materials, with better craftsmanship, and fit better than production holsters.

What's the best style holster for concealed carry for a full size football player?

Carrying on the hip with the hard plastic hkvp9 holster is painful

I was thinking of options like under the armpit or maybe in front of chest or belly.

Any thoughts , input ?? No clue where to start or what's out there / popular etc

Thanks
If you have a gut, hip carry is your friend. I prefer inside the waistband for better concealment and it’s comfortable if you get the right holster and wear pants with a little extra room.

For concealment, you may have to go up a size on pants and shirt. You want your shirt to be long enough that it doesn’t flash your piece when you stretch. Duluth long tail tshirts are great for that.

Edit: forgot to mention my holster of choice. Crossbreed Super tuck is the way to go. Not cheap, but worth it. A little stiff at first, but it’s leather. Once you break it in, it’s excellent

Last edited:
[rofl2] [rofl]

I’ve had a number of production leather holsters as well as custom leather holsters. I’ve never found a production holster that can stand up to the quality of a custom holster from a good holster maker. Custom holsters are made from better materials, with better craftsmanship, and fit better than production holsters.
Whatever, I guess I'm just special, or maybe they had it in for you, mine were great and silent, yours were noisy. Whatever.

When you say "on the hip," do you mean at 3 o'clock? If so, have you tried moving it behind your hip, to 4 or 5 o'clock? How about just in front?

Have you tried any of the hybrid holsters, instead of just kydex?

Are you using a good belt? Do you wear it near your natural waist, or are you forcing it to cinch around your hip bones?

WRT risk of shooting your bits off - as long as you use good equipment, it's paranoia.
I second these questions.
I’ve dealt with the same issues as OP in the beginning when I first started carrying, and 10 out of times, it was simply the holster. What holster are you currently using?

research more holsters and find the one that’s most comfortable for you. There’s a trillion options.
I bet the one you’re running has sharp edges, or hard edges in the mold that’s making it uncomfortable.

A thumb break is slower and soft holster material is more likely to flex into the trigger guard than a hard material.

Depends on the design of the holster and so on., But generally speaking, you're right... which is why I never went back from kydex. Kydex is faster and IMHO "produces a safer holster that will stand up better over time" vs a cheap leather holster in the same price class.

One thing I will never buy is hybrids though. f*** those things. Most of them are garbage, gigantic, garbage.... and sometimes even dangerous. There are a lot of NDs and other issues associated with hybrid holsters. Theres also a lot of potential failure points where something can go horribly wrong. All Kydex or All leather (quality) is better than any shitty hybrid.

[rofl2] [rofl]

This... the fastest leather holster I ever owned was a semi custom milt sparks SS clone, that I got not long after I got my P2000. I think someone here karmaed it to me actually, but it was actually handmade. It had great natural retention as well as a reinforced mouth without being oversized.

Depends on the design of the holster and so on., But generally speaking, you're right... which is why I never went back from kydex. Kydex is faster and IMHO "produces a safer holster that will stand up better over time" vs a cheap leather holster in the same price class.

One thing I will never buy is hybrids though. f*** those things. Most of them are garbage, gigantic, garbage.... and sometimes even dangerous. There are a lot of NDs and other issues associated with hybrid holsters. Theres also a lot of potential failure points where something can go horribly wrong. All Kydex or All leather (quality) is better than any shitty hybrid.
so... skinflinting

If you want to waste your money on junk, this looks like hot garbage. But, I’ve seen lots of commercials for it and I’d love to see a 7 page NES rant/flame session on first hand accounts if you wanna be a Guinea pig.

Another vote for Milt Sparks VM2. I also have a ETW jframe leather holster that I like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom