• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Building A Compliant Rifle

Joking aside and an eye roll to the "move to a different state" crowd....

If you're planning on mounting an optic, there is no need for an old school Front Sight Base, so no worry about the evil bayo lug.

Find an upper with a target crown or no threads on the barrel, they exist. Your neighbor at the range will also thank you.

Find a fixed stock. Can never go wrong with an A2 stock.

Grab some pre-ban 20 round mags, better for range use than 30s.

Toss in a good trigger while you're in there and enjoy!

View attachment 693272

Maura and Biden REALLY don't like it when civilians have 'semi automatics'. In the words of our president, "it's just sick". Here - you can have a Troy pump action rifle and make it look as tactical as you want. Just make sure you use the small approved sized magazine.

this is the firearm equivalent of posting disgusting food

Joking aside and an eye roll to the "move to a different state" crowd....

If you're planning on mounting an optic, there is no need for an old school Front Sight Base, so no worry about the evil bayo lug.

Find an upper with a target crown or no threads on the barrel, they exist. Your neighbor at the range will also thank you.

Find a fixed stock. Can never go wrong with an A2 stock.

Grab some pre-ban 20 round mags, better for range use than 30s.

Toss in a good trigger while you're in there and enjoy!
Thanks. Yeah I don’t plan on having the sight post, I’ll do a rail all the way down. If you pin & weld the comp doesn’t that technically eliminate the threads though?

Thanks. Yeah I don’t plan on having the sight post, I’ll do a rail all the way down. If you pin & weld the comp doesn’t that technically eliminate the threads though?

Yes, that's one way. The point I was trying to make is there is no need for a muzzle device. Comps can be annoying to shoot next to, further, aren't really needed for most .223 range blasting needs.

Yes, that's one way. The point I was trying to make is there is no need for a muzzle device. Comps can be annoying to shoot next to, further, aren't really needed for most .223 range blasting needs.
Gotcha. I was planning on just getting a complete upper. Most I’ve seen come with threads and some sort of muzzle device. Suppose I can always swap the barrel.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Very helpful and much appreciated. Now what about lowers, can I get a complete lower?

Just build it pin and weld the brake and pin the stock or replace with a fixed stock. Only use 10 round or preban mags. Injoy your new AR.

Attachments

• 20221030_154850.jpg
    20221030_154850.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 34
Gotcha. I was planning on just getting a complete upper. Most I’ve seen come with threads and some sort of muzzle device. Suppose I can always swap the barrel.

The nice thing about the crown is you can assemble everything at home, and no need to remove the muzzle device to remove a barrel nut, gas block, etc. later. There are some low pro muzzle devices that also don’t need to be removed.

Be aware there are plenty of pre-drilled brakes out there, so you can pin/solder it yourself.
Same with stocks. No need to overthink anything.

The nice thing about the crown is you can assemble everything at home, and no need to remove the muzzle device to remove a barrel nut, gas block, etc. later. There are some low pro muzzle devices that also don’t need to be removed.
That’s good to know, thank you.
Be aware there are plenty of pre-drilled brakes out there, so you can pin/solder it yourself.
Really? I never heard of pre-drilled brakes, I’ll look into it.

To clarify, pin/WELD or 1100*F silver solder. Don’t need the hole for silver solder.

Can’t solder over the pin if you want to meet the ATF guidance for complying with the federal AWB (and basis for MA law).

Of everything you need to do for attaching a brake, drilling it for the pin is probably the easiest part.

Bruen. Build whatever the hell you want and if they ever come screw with you take the whole thing down. Good luck to them finding anything about pistol grips and collapsible stocks in text and history.

Too much trouble. Go see @CrackPot and he will weld that for you.

If your plan is to swap the barrel might as well buy individual parts.

Last edited:
No - a Grande Launcher is fine. Just don't get caught with one in a Dunks - that's a felony in MA.

View attachment 693287
What I actually love is when they say grenade launcher. They don’t mean the grenade launcher you’re thinking Of like the M203..
m203s are completely Massachusetts compliant.. It’s the one your great grandfather used that they don’t like

To clarify, pin/WELD or 1100*F silver solder. Don’t need the hole for silver solder.

Can’t solder over the pin if you want to meet the ATF guidance for complying with the federal AWB (and basis for MA law).

Of everything you need to do for attaching a brake, drilling it for the pin is probably the easiest part.
Thanks. I’ll most likely have it done somewhere, don’t want to mess it up.

Thanks. I think Magpul makes a fixed stock.

Magpul makes a few fixed stocks. This is a quick alternative if you can't stand to drill holes and pound a pin into a new stock.

To me the biggest advantage to an adjustable stock is being able to set it to minimum length so you can use a smaller case.

Magpul makes a few fixed stocks. This is a quick alternative if you can't stand to drill holes and pound a pin into a new stock.

To me the biggest advantage to an adjustable stock is being able to set it to minimum length so you can use a smaller case.
Makes sense. Also to set a comfortable LOP.

Easy.

move to another state

build a rifle.

Not trying to be snarky, in some cases, this is the best option and is an actual option. I am trying to make this my option right now.
Easy? You think the easy solution to building a rifle is to pack up your family and uproot to go somewhere where you can easily build a rifle?

Easy? You think the easy solution to building a rifle is to pack up your family and uproot to go somewhere where you can easily build a rifle?
This.
Not to mention there’s plenty of gun owners in MA who examine the risk (extremely low for many) of getting caught with an evil feature on their AR etc and decide they’ll ignore it. Not advising the OP do this as it’s not good legal advice

Last edited:
I have this Luth stock, fixed. My thought was - if I have to pin it, might as well get a fixed stock that is flexible and comfortable.

It is very light.

View attachment 693609
that works, but, there are simpler ones. this one i think does not sit on the carbine tube, it wants a longer round rifle tube.
and you generally do not want a long rifle buffer and tube on the ar15.

the one that sits on the standard carbine tube, is cheap, lighter and 'MA friendly' would be this one:

but much easier is to get this one, then press the pin out that makes it compliant - it also gets on sale from time to time at $35 level:

or get it with no tube, just a stock.

Back
Top Bottom