Help Building A Compliant Rifle

hyemb350

NES Member
Happy Friday all. I’m sure a variation of this has been asked before but all I could find was threads on ARs. I see shops all around MA selling uppers and lowers and people with custom built rifles. I’m aware of the AWB, the “evil” features, copycat and all that. I know you can use a preban lower, I’m curious about building a new rifle.

Am I correct to think that as long as I eliminate enough “evil” features to make it compliant then it’s good to go regardless if it looks like an AR?

Let’s say I pin & weld the comp, pin the stock, not have a grenade launcher or bayonet mount then I’m ok to have a pistol grip and a detachable mag?

I’m either stupid or overthinking it. With that said, if anyone can confirm my understanding or tell me if I’m wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Happy Friday all. I’m sure a variation of this has been asked before but all I could find was threads on ARs. I see shops all around MA selling uppers and lowers and people with custom built rifles. I’m aware of the AWB, the “evil” features, copycat and all that. I know you can use a preban lower, I’m curious about building a new rifle.

Am I correct to think that as long as I eliminate enough “evil” features to make it compliant then it’s good to go regardless if it looks like an AR?

Let’s say I pin & weld the comp, pin the stock, not have a grande launcher or bayonet mount then I’m ok to have a pistol grip and a detachable mag?

I’m either stupid or overthinking it. With that said, if anyone can confirm my understanding or tell me if I’m wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
If you're not building a named firearm, then the feature test is what you defer to.

Easy.

move to another state

build a rifle.

Not trying to be snarky, in some cases, this is the best option and is an actual option. I am trying to make this my option right now.

Last edited:
SSO95661.jpg

Maura and Biden REALLY don't like it when civilians have 'semi automatics'. In the words of our president, "it's just sick". Here - you can have a Troy pump action rifle and make it look as tactical as you want. Just make sure you use the small approved sized magazine.

That’s my first choice but the wife won’t budge haha.
I get it, I am in the same boat. I am trying to push the wait, see what we pay for taxes here vs somewhere else. For me, as I get older, opening Zillow and punching in what $450k gets you for a home in New England vs say SC or GA or Tn or NC is eye opening.

Yeah, but if you can't fix a bayonet, then what's the point?

yes. that is a pun.
A bayonet is not an evil feature
vybrdndj2c051.jpg

(And I am not a lawyer)

I get it, I am in the same boat. I am trying to push the wait, see what we pay for taxes here vs somewhere else. For me, as I get older, opening Zillow and punching in what $450k gets you for a home in New England vs say SC or GA or Tn or NC is eye opening.
Find myself doing that often as well haha.

Let’s say I pin & weld the comp, pin the stock, not have a grande launcher or bayonet mount then I’m ok to have a pistol grip and a detachable mag?

Thanks in advance!

No - a Grande Launcher is fine. Just don't get caught with one in a Dunks - that's a felony in MA.

m16-rifle-with-m203-grande-launcher.jpg

Let’s say I pin & weld the comp, pin the stock, not have a grenade launcher or bayonet mount then I’m ok to have a pistol grip and a detachable mag?
YES.

And @CrackPot can pin and weld the rifle pretty fast for not a lot of $.

You can also buy a fixed stock and a non threaded barrel if you are building a new rifle.

Since you are pinning the stock anyway, going the fixed stock route might make sense and you can probably get a nicer stock. It is up to you.

YES.

And @CrackPot can pin and weld the rifle pretty fast for not a lot of $.

You can also buy a fixed stock and a non threaded barrel if you are building a new rifle.

Since you are pinning the stock anyway, going the fixed stock route might make sense and you can probably get a nicer stock. It is up to you.
Great, thanks! That’s true, a fixed stock would be easier.

Back
Top Bottom