Help: Bad vendors or bad luck?

So I'm relatively new to surplus collecting and figured I would stick with the names I hear commonly. My first purchase was a Chinese SKS from Classic. I didn't do a hand select because consensus was it is a waste of $20. I received an extremely beat up rifle as i expected. I tore it down and found the stock was cracked in half. Oh well, bad luck of the draw. Not more than 2 weeks later they are selling "cracked stock" SKS's at a deep discount, WTF.

Next is a S&W model 10-6 Bull barrel from AIM. Based on the pictures i expected a holster worn slightly pitted but functioning revolver. First off, looks like it sat in the Atlantic for a year. Cylinder wouldn't lock because of bent ejector rod so I ordered a new one and replaced it. Still wont latch. Turns out the barrel is canted over 1/4" so there's no way for the ejector rod to meet up with the latch. More insult to injury, 2 weeks later they came out with shooter grade models again for a deep discount but the pictures of them still looked like show pieces compared to mine. So now I still need to find a smith that can machine and reset the barrel.

Should I not be dealing with these companies? Are there better sources? Or did I just get the luck of the Irish twice in a row? Thank you for your input.

I generally avoid Classic due to what I perceive to be overhyping their stuff and questionably ethical marketing, but I haven't had any problems with AIM. Did you contact them about your Model 10? A friend of mine got one from them in the same batch and his has been fine, I shot it a bunch with no issues.

I generally avoid Classic due to what I perceive to be overhyping their stuff and questionably ethical marketing, but I haven't had any problems with AIM. Did you contact them about your Model 10? A friend of mine got one from them in the same batch and his has been fine, I shot it a bunch with no issues.
I did contact them and they offered a $20 discount or a return but they no longer have any in stock so I'm just going to suck it up and see what its going to take to fix it. I may call S&W to see what they will charge to straighten it out and re-blue it. Probably will cost twice what its worth but cant hurt to ask.

I did contact them and they offered a $20 discount or a return but they no longer have any in stock so I'm just going to suck it up and see what its going to take to fix it. I may call S&W to see what they will charge to straighten it out and re-blue it. Probably will cost twice what its worth but cant hurt to ask.
That's too bad. I have a Model 15 (same as a 10 but with adjustable sights) and I love it. My friend's Model 10 he got from AIM definitely had wear, but it functioned without issue. I've never dealt with S&W warranty, but hopefully they can help.

I did get a surplus Glock from AIM and it needed to go back to Glock but for its age, I wasn't too surprised. Glock took care of it for me for the cost of shipping.

There are only so many sources. Many of the FFL's buy from these same companies. I've only bought a few guns from Classic, and they have all been exactly what they advertise. The same goes for AIM. Finding deals on C&R firearms is not as easy as it was before the last administration took office.

I'll try to remember to look when I get home. I have an SKS stock somewhere. I'll see what it is. I assume yours has a pig sticker since it's Chinese. Or do you even have a bayonet?

Life is too short to screw around. During my 40 years in the biz, unless new guns from a distributer, I've never bought or sold a gun without me or the buyer checking it out. Never had an issue. Jack.

Classic Firearms is really hit or miss. I never had a problem with their rifles i got from them, but i work with a guy who have got non functional rifle from them (I think it was a Lee Enfield). Now i go to Simpson Ltd or Liberty Tree Collectors.

There are only so many sources. Many of the FFL's buy from these same companies. I've only bought a few guns from Classic, and they have all been exactly what they advertise. The same goes for AIM. Finding deals on C&R firearms is not as easy as it was before the last administration took office.

I'll try to remember to look when I get home. I have an SKS stock somewhere. I'll see what it is. I assume yours has a pig sticker since it's Chinese. Or do you even have a bayonet?
That’s awesome, yes it still has a bayo. Thanks for checking just let me know and I’ll send out a money order.
Thanks everyone for your input.

I don't know how many times I have sent back a gun to Classic,or AIM,but when buying from those companies
it's always a toss of the dice. The big problem is you started collecting very late in the game,and there are few places
to get surplus guns.I remember the old days, a C&R,and a Shotgun news.Boy what deals you could get.

That’s awesome, yes it still has a bayo. Thanks for checking just let me know and I’ll send out a money order.

The stock I have is made for the blade

The stock I have is for a blade bayonet. I'm not sure what you got from Classic, but there were some Chinese SKS's with blades. You are welcome to it if you'd like it. Even if yours has a pig sticker you could always remove some material to make it work.

Here's an upside down picture because I didn't flip it when I uploaded it.

8ulqhOR.jpg

and the bayonet side on bottom.

qHLmL2Q.jpg

So I'm relatively new to surplus collecting and figured I would stick with the names I hear commonly. My first purchase was a Chinese SKS from Classic. I didn't do a hand select because consensus was it is a waste of $20. I received an extremely beat up rifle as i expected. I tore it down and found the stock was cracked in half. Oh well, bad luck of the draw. Not more than 2 weeks later they are selling "cracked stock" SKS's at a deep discount, WTF.

Next is a S&W model 10-6 Bull barrel from AIM. Based on the pictures i expected a holster worn slightly pitted but functioning revolver. First off, looks like it sat in the Atlantic for a year. Cylinder wouldn't lock because of bent ejector rod so I ordered a new one and replaced it. Still wont latch. Turns out the barrel is canted over 1/4" so there's no way for the ejector rod to meet up with the latch. More insult to injury, 2 weeks later they came out with shooter grade models again for a deep discount but the pictures of them still looked like show pieces compared to mine. So now I still need to find a smith that can machine and reset the barrel.

Should I not be dealing with these companies? Are there better sources? Or did I just get the luck of the Irish twice in a row? Thank you for your input.
Get over to pack and postal before he runs out or sells out to the big places like Aim, Century, Classic

Springfield Sporters , samco global and the old classic and old Wideners where great....
As far as you lucking out and getting the pre bottom of the barrel scraps BEFORE enough people returned the junk and they dropped prices. That sucks.
Personally this is where a good credit card company shines.
I have had a few vendors change their tune once the CC does a charge back.

Last edited:
Damn nice of you dhuze.
Good karma will follow...

That’s awesome dhuze thank you. Good Karma is real, I literally sent in my green member check last week and it’s people on this forum that make it worth every penny. PM sent.

Crate lottery is crate lottery. Assume the worst and you'll never be disappointed.

There are several vendors that sell individual rifles with good pictures and accurate descriptions. These vendors charge more for all the work involved with this.

Offering a return and refund is pretty good.

Lesson learned- newbie has to start somewhere. A couple members have been helpful at acquiring some very nice pieces to start with.

Sticky at the top of the forum from 11/14/09. I was given an infraction in 2013 for posting a source for a Chilean Mauser stock; it was one of the listed sites in this thread.

t

Last edited:
I don't know how many times I have sent back a gun to Classic,or AIM,but when buying from those companies
it's always a toss of the dice. The big problem is you started collecting very late in the game,and there are few places
to get surplus guns.I remember the old days, a C&R,and a Shotgun news.Boy what deals you could get.
And someday the kids now will be saying that in their old age. I can remember when a mosin was only $400. Lol

Get over to pack and postal before he runs out or sells out to the big places like Aim, Century, Classic

interesting you mention Century. Aim and classic sell retail and are 01s. Century is wholesale only and is an 07 and 08. More than 1/2 the guns people have transferred in from classic arrive in century boxes and tags, etc. Century is the one supplying everyone else.

interesting you mention Century. Aim and classic sell retail and are 01s. Century is wholesale only and is an 07 and 08. More than 1/2 the guns people have transferred in from classic arrive in century boxes and tags, etc. Century is the one supplying everyone else.
i was sad to see Springfield Sporters go. i was trying to order some rear sights before they sold out. Now I will have to wait a year or so to see if CI A will post them or sell them off to someone else.

What is this pack and postal that mac1911 speaks of? I don’t know many of the local places yet.

Pack and Postal:
Address: 210 Mill St, Lancaster, MA 01523
Phone: (978) 368-0910

Best to call ahead and make sure they are open- their days and hours vary a little. A bit like shopping in a Museum sometimes, depending upon what's in stock. Great place to look for milsurps. Probably you want to be there when Joe is there- he's a walking encyclopedia. Real straight up guy, he won't sell you a lemon unless you insist on buying a lemon.

Classic has been hit and miss for me, same as others have mentioned. I bought 2 M39's from them- one was okay looking but the other looked beat to hell. Original wartime stock but it looked like a starving beaver on crack tried to eat it. LOL it was an outstanding shooter (Classic would not have known this) so I sold the one in better shape and kept the ugly one.

IMHO one of the best online milsurp sellers is The Mosin Crate. You have to watch closely as most of his sales are first come, first served; and the guns are usually in smaller batches. I bought a pretty amazing K31 at an excellent price from Mosin Crate.

Back
Top Bottom