• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help/Advice - Looking to try IDPA competition

From the moment I bought my M&P40 I was considering attending and participating in IDPA competition/practices. After a few range sessions with an IDPA shooter, I think I am ready to at least spectate at one and line myself up to try one out. Here is where I need your help...

First, I have an M&P40 (bone stock MA model, I know trigger sucks). I also have a 9mm conversion barrel. (I know I should do something about the trigger, which I will, but lets assume for now I have done the work and have a decent 5.5# trigger)
-do you recommend sticking with the 40 (since that is what the gun is designed for)
-do you recommend the 9mm, since it seems to be the preferred round?

Second, i have a soft leather IWB holster and a LEO style leather pancake OWB holster. These are NOT capable of re-holstering without a fight, and in competition I know time is, well, important.
-Since I do not know if this will be something I really like, I want to avoid spending a bunch of money on a competition "blackhawk" type holster. What do you recommend for a starter holster for competition.

Third, I have several mags of the 40 and the 9mm. I was told mag pouches are ideal for ease of reloading.
-what other accessories do you recommend?

Lastly, what is your "competition setup" (gun, mods, accessories, etc). and what do you recommend for a first timer. I already have some advice from my IDPA shooter friend, but wanted to see what everyone thinks and brings.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

From the moment I bought my M&P40 I was considering attending and participating in IDPA competition/practices. After a few range sessions with an IDPA shooter, I think I am ready to at least spectate at one and line myself up to try one out. Here is where I need your help...

If you can safely handle a gun and draw from a holster come and shoot. If you "spectate" you'll wish you shot

First, I have an M&P40 (bone stock MA model, I know trigger sucks). I also have a 9mm conversion barrel. (I know I should do something about the trigger, which I will, but lets assume for now I have done the work and have a decent 5.5# trigger)
-do you recommend sticking with the 40 (since that is what the gun is designed for)
-do you recommend the 9mm, since it seems to be the preferred round?
9mm/or .40 doesn't matter. Many people shoot 9mm because it's cheaper and has less recoil. I don't think a conversion barrel is kosher in IDPA but nobody is going to give you a hard time a local match. Give it a try first and worry about equipment later. If you haven't looked at the APEX M&P parts do so. They'll fix that trigger for short money.

Second, i have a soft leather IWB holster and a LEO style leather pancake OWB holster. These are NOT capable of re-holstering without a fight, and in competition I know time is, well, important.

You WON'T be re-holstering on the clock so don't worry about speed, worry about safely re-holstering.

-Since I do not know if this will be something I really like, I want to avoid spending a bunch of money on a competition "blackhawk" type holster. What do you recommend for a starter holster for competition.
I use a comp-tac kydex OWB holster. It's not the cheapest but you buy it once.

Third, I have several mags of the 40 and the 9mm. I was told mag pouches are ideal for ease of reloading.
3, preferably 4 mags, an OWB holster, 2 mag carriers, a flashlight (don't worry if you don't have one, someone will let you borrow theirs). Some sort of cover garment: I use a $20 photographers vest off of eBay but a un-tucked shirt will get you started.

Lastly, what is your "competition setup" (gun, mods, accessories, etc). and what do you recommend for a first timer. I already have some advice from my IDPA shooter friend, but wanted to see what everyone thinks and brings.
Don't get hung up on equipment. Get the awful stock M&P trigger fixed, get yourself to a match or practice, be safe, and have fun. I see that you're in Lowell: The two closest IDPA clubs are WPRC and Harvard. Worcester has a match Saturday July 10th, I hope to see you there.

You cannot use the 9mm conversion barrel but you can download the .40S&W ammo safely to about 143000 PF.

The vest you buy, or shirt for that matter, must keep the holster and mag pouches covered when the arms are raised to shoulder height sideways.

You can shoot 1 match as a non member of IDPA.

I use a G17 or a G35 and both have tritium sights and light trigger work by me, a Blackhawk CQC holster (not the Serpa) along with Blackhawk mag pouches. I wear a vest made by Woolrich and a home brand from a work warehouse. I have 12 mags too, but you only need 3 but the 4th would be used as a Barney mag.

I have a SpeedTimer 3000 that I use for IDPA, IPSC, USPSA. I've used PACT, CED too but prefer the 3000.

Go shoot a match, have fun and shoot safely.

I appreciate the responses. I was unaware of the long cover garment requirement so I'm glad someone mentioned it. Can I ask what the flashlight is for? I thought you shot the match in daylight. There is a chance that I will be involuntarily previously engaged on the 10th but I am hoping to make it to harvard in a few weeks

What about targets and such? Is everything there ready for you to shoot or do I need to find some appropriate targets to bring with me.

I appreciate the responses. I was unaware of the long cover garment requirement so I'm glad someone mentioned it. Can I ask what the flashlight is for? I thought you shot the match in daylight.
It's for shooting low/no light stages! It's a little unnerving the first time you do it. Take your time and go slow.

ETA: Shooting with a flashlight isn't all that hard. It's reloading with a flashlight that is the challenge.

There is a chance that I will be involuntarily previously engaged on the 10th but I am hoping to make it to harvard in a few weeks
Just make sure you identify yourself as a new IDPA shooter. They'll partner you up with an experienced shooter. They won't make you go first on a stage and they'll take extra time with you.

What about targets and such? Is everything there ready for you to shoot or do I need to find some appropriate targets to bring with me.
All the targets are provided in the match fee.

Last edited:

!

Get a fobus kydex holster, they are around $20. It is very important that you can re-hoslter one handed, if you have to open your holster to insert the gun, then you are likely to sweep your hand and get DQ'ed

theres a match in Worcester nest saturday 7/10, get or borrow a holster, and some mag
carriers.

i'm not positive, but i don't think they will bust you if you have no cover, but you could
use a shirt that not tucked in.

Will give you a chance to look at what others have a you can go from there. JUST GO.

theres a match in Worcester nest saturday 7/10, get or borrow a holster, and some mag
carriers.

i'm not positive, but i don't think they will bust you if you have no cover, but you could
use a shirt that not tucked in.

Will give you a chance to look at what others have a you can go from there. JUST GO.

We won't bother you about something that doesn't completely conceal the bottom of the holster as long as you make an effort. An unbuttoned hawaiian shirt or jacket works fine.

I have spare M&P mag carriers you can borrow at the worcester match. The blade-tech holster for $30 is a bit nicer than fobus or blackhawk.

What's a Barney mag? I've never heard that term before.

It's the mag you use to load the initial round in the chamber so you can load 10+1 with 10 round mags. The term comes from Barney Fife carrying his one bullet in his pocket.

It's the mag you use to load the initial round in the chamber so you can load 10+1 with 10 round mags. The term comes from Barney Fife carrying his one bullet in his pocket.

Aha. The concept makes sense and baffles me all at the same time. [laugh]

We won't bother you about something that doesn't completely conceal the bottom of the holster as long as you make an effort. An unbuttoned hawaiian shirt or jacket works fine.

I have spare M&P mag carriers you can borrow at the worcester match. The blade-tech holster for $30 is a bit nicer than fobus or blackhawk.

Exactly - make the effort to comply but that will only apply to club level matches, sanctioned you will have to comply. I shot with guys that use baggy T-Shirts not tucked in, and that's no problem either.

Thanks jar, right on target.

Unless your holster completely closes up when you remove the pistol, don't bother wasting money on shit like Fobus.

I shoot IDPA with leather gear about 99% of the time. Some of my holster have a reinforced mouth and will not change shape, others slightly close up. Angling the gun in slightly forces the mouth open and in it goes. On the subject of reholstering, always do it SLOWLY. I always look at what I am doing and use my left hand to remove any garment that may block my view. That goes double with striker fired pistols.

And before all the safety nazis chime in, no, I don't give a shit about anyone's advice about my way of reholstering with some leather being "unsafe". Get over your NRA range safety rules. It isn't.

Unless your holster completely closes up when you remove the pistol, don't bother wasting money on shit like Fobus.

I shoot IDPA with leather gear about 99% of the time. Some of my holster have a reinforced mouth and will not change shape, others slightly close up. Angling the gun in slightly forces the mouth open and in it goes. On the subject of reholstering, always do it SLOWLY. I always look at what I am doing and use my left hand to remove any garment that may block my view. That goes double with striker fired pistols.

And before all the safety nazis chime in, no, I don't give a shit about anyone's advice about my way of reholstering with some leather being "unsafe". Get over your NRA range safety rules. It isn't.

I would only add that I've seen one competitor on my squad in IDPA get disqualified for exactly what you're describing. He was using a leather holster that didn't stay open, and when he angled the gun in slightly to "open" the holster, he was immediately handed a Match DQ for pointing the muzzle in at himself. He wasn't offered an opportunity to voice his opinion about "NRA range safety rules." He was simply told to step off the line and bag his gun.

Although I agree with your overall opinion of Fobus holsters, I'd be hesitant to advise an admitted new shooter to use a leather holster that closes up upon drawing. You're asking to go home early.

Being DQ'd by some dick isn't the end of the world.

I reload an empty gun on the move while outside of cover IF I RUN OUT WHILE EXPOSED because that is what common sense dictates. IDPA rules say you can't do that.

Well, guess what. I do it anyway. If some dude gets a stiffy from giving me a procedural or FTDR, I don't care.

You don't play by the IDPA rules. You're the picture of rebellious manhood. We get that. But this thread was started by someone who wanted advice in how to get started in IDPA. Reread the thread title, then reread your posts, and decide whether or not you're offering valuable advice to a newbie who is "looking to try IDPA competition."

You don't play by the IDPA rules. You're the picture of rebellious manhood. We get that. But this thread was started by someone who wanted advice in how to get started in IDPA. Reread the thread title, then reread your posts, and decide whether or not you're offering valuable advice to a newbie who is "looking to try IDPA competition."

+1 Scott. To the OP- many people use Kydex holsters because they work well for this sport- and yes folks- this aint real life- it's a game. You sweep your hand you get DQ's- that's true in most action shooting sports that I'm aware of fwiw.

I would only add that I've seen one competitor on my squad in IDPA get disqualified for exactly what you're describing. He was using a leather holster that didn't stay open, and when he angled the gun in slightly to "open" the holster, he was immediately handed a Match DQ for pointing the muzzle in at himself.

The way I read what Jose is saying is that you angle the grip of the gun into your body and point the muzzle slightly out to open the holster, which would not be unsafe to the shooter unless (s)he had a remarkable badonkadonk.

You don't play by the IDPA rules. You're the picture of rebellious manhood. We get that.

OK, that's funny. [laugh]

But this thread was started by someone who wanted advice in how to get started in IDPA. Reread the thread title, then reread your posts, and decide whether or not you're offering valuable advice to a newbie who is "looking to try IDPA competition."

I think it's important to note that the newbie asked for advice from everyone. Some of the people responding enjoy playing a game by all the rules to win, others use a game to reinforce practical life saving skills in the correct manner even if that means losing in make believe. The OP didn't specify which kind of shooter he plans to be, altough IMO if he plans on ever playing for realsies he should follow Jose's advice. It was some of the stupid rules that turned me off to competition shooting in general, and a series of common sense posts a few years ago by Jose on the subject that changed my mind.

YMMV.

Yeah....WTF do I know???

Again, for all I know (or care), you may be Tactical Tom Terrific, but the OP is a new shooter looking to stick his toe into IDPA. Does that sound like he needs help selecting equipment, and a basic understanding of the rules and what to expect, or does it sound like he needs Tactical Tom Terrific giving him pointers on how to "rage against the machine" and show "the range Nazi's" how tactical he is(n't)? You tell me.

I appreciate all the feed back and everyone seems to understand where I am coming from. I will be trying to pick up at least a fobus holster and I know a guy that offered some mag pouches if I don't end up picking those up myself. Its like asking what to bring to my very first baseball game, I was just looking for some direction, I am not looking to join swat or be a tactical superstar. I definitely dont want to "rage against the machine" as ScottS so eloquently put it, and I sure as hell dont want to tell any judge/range safety officer that I couldn't give a rats ass what he "claims" is correct because I am very New to IDPA and honestly any HELP i can get would be appreciated!

SO, on that note, thank you for all the advice, if anyone has any other helpful info to provide I will obviously be checking back on this thread prior to my first IDPA match/practice meeting. Thanks

Ok, so my typical stores seem to be lacking in the Fobus for the M&P products and I didn't find any bladetech's either. I checked A&G and Gun Sport North. I have heard that the bladetechs seem to be more widely accepted than the fobus in the competition circles, however, the blade-techs everyone seems to be referring to are the 70-90 holsters though and not the 30 mentioned above. does anyone know if any north shore stores stock these (the $30 holsters)?

Also, I see the IDPA membership fees are around $40/yr, but what does a match fee/or practice match fee run? and is it different/beneficial if you are a member of IDPA?

I have a blackhawk holster for the M&P I would give you if you are interested in it. I shoot at HSC quite often if you were interested in a free "noob" holster and some quick IDPA basic training.

Match Fees vary $15-$20 for club match's (some times a discount for being a club member at certain clubs)
Practice fees are around $5
If you continually show up for match's and are not an IDPA member you will be asked to join IDPA... IMO the benefit you get is a plastic card with a member #/a nice hat/ and a rule book for joining. Also you can shoot larger sanctioned events...

Also, I see the IDPA membership fees are around $40/yr, but what does a match fee/or practice match fee run? and is it different/beneficial if you are a member of IDPA?

Last edited:
Dziner, I have a spare M&P belt holster lying around that I will sell you.

It's a DeSantins Speed Scabbard. PM me if interested.

exactly, what do you know about action pistol shooting? It not like anyone here has shot with you, you're some guy from Ohio on a New England board that thinks tactical is the only way

I know enough to know what is wrong with IDPA. As far as USPSA, I couldn't give a shit less.

Come on guys give it a break! There are rules in place for a good reason and they were set forth to insure to make this a safe and fun activity. Also to make sure the gun grabbers don't have more ammo( no pun intended) against us. Some folks don't agree and don't abide and if thats their view so be it. But when it comes to safety it takes priority over anyones opinion!
This fellow just wanted to get info on IDPA and what was required! Posts like this could very well put him off and we'd lose another fellow shooter! I am new to IDPA and right now only shoot CDP but plan on doing other divisions. But not new to firearms and safety with them. I was in the firearms business for 22 years and have seen it all. If we want to continue to enjoy our firearms and the various aspects it comes down to one word, SAFETY!! So go out there and shoot your guns and enjoy the camarade and friendships but by all means think safety 100% of the time!

Back
Top Bottom