hello guys, i have a question for you

Hello, My grandfather had passed down a old antique revolver to me. It's a navy colt 1851 cap and ball .36 cal.

It appears to be in good shape, and i'm very curious to find some information about this piece. I would like to find the history that sits behind this piece and see if this is original or not.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

hey thanks!

Is there a site where we could do serial number search and perhaps a source where we could find out to see if it's original or a reproduction revolver.

I don't know what happened to my original post on this thread, asking if it was a REAL Colt or an Italian repro.

A real Colt will say so; check the barrel and look for the rampant pony on the frame. The repros will say "Made in Italy" on them and have the manufacturer's name also.

Could you post pics? I really like the 1851s. Those are some of the finest handling revolvers and nicest looking revolvers of all time. That is my opinion anyway. Bill Hickock would agree as well.

i guess this is a repro. since there's a engraving says "made in italy".

DSC03213.jpg

DSC03218.jpg

thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Even Better. Looks like a repro of the Confederate Navy model. The rebs had less money and manufacturing capabilities during the civil war, so they used cheaper materials such as brass as opposed to the case hardened steel frames that originally came with the Colt 1851 Navy revolver. It is a cool gun, shoot it, and keep it as a sentimental piece.

oh thanks for the green rep! lol, getting out of the red soon i hope lol. Guess it was my foolishness when i joined not too long ago :(

anyways, thanks for the help about this piece. i'm actually happy that i have something that came from my grandfather and this is my 2nd piece in my collection so far.

i probably wont be back here till after new years. So happy new years every one, hope you all have a good time. ttyl

1851's run from # 1 made in 1850 to # 215348 made in 1873! Anywhere in between is first generation, 2nd generation started in 1971 with # 4201 to 1978 # 23401! Mine is #105*** meaning it was made in 1861 (98,000) to 1862 (118,000) or about late 1861 or early 1862!! Anymore questions just ask, I've got more originals and repro's to compare to!!

Back
Top Bottom