Hellfire missle takes out terrorists

Nice video!

But did they have to use a very expensive missile to take these guys out? No 50 cal. on the gunship?

Using a missle likely exposes the drone to less return fire. Bear in mind that the capacity of these drones is very limited. Carrying an HMG and a bunch of ammo on board is probably not practical.

-Mike

Last edited:
Nice video!

But did they have to use a very expensive missile to take these guys out? No 50 cal. on the gunship?

Yea I always ask myself the same question. Granted it's a cool fireball but the military generally isn't concerned with how much they cost. A $68,000 missile to blow up a couple of guys, but then again I guess if they didn't use it, it would just sit in storage and soon become outdated and worthless. Either way it's fun to watch [popcorn]

Using a missle likely exposes the drone to less return fire. Bear in mind that the capacity of these drones is very limited. Carrying an HMG and a bunch of ammo on board is probably not practical.

-Mike

I believe it was a helicopter team that took these guys out. Regardless, that "expensive missile" probably just saved the next convoy a whole lot of aggravation. Worth it, IMO. Well done.

-Mike

That wasnt a drone, it was an AH-64. There arnt "HMG equipped drones" in service. Its not a concern about ground fire as to why they employ Hellfire, the Hellfire really isnt as big as one believes, it only has a few pounds of explosive, depending on the model. Its completely the pilot's discretion as to what weapon system he/ she uses. The 30mm cannon on the AH-64 is accurate, but not nearly accurate as the Hellfire. The .50 on the OH-58 is even worse, basically an area weapon. The pilot probably believed he would have a better probability with the Hellfire, plus the potential to eliminate the IED that was also set in.

That wasnt a drone, it was an AH-64.

Point taken, I made the mistake of assuming it was a Predator drone.

There arnt "HMG equipped drones" in service.
Its not a concern about ground fire as to why they employ Hellfire, the Hellfire really isnt as big as one believes, it only has a few pounds of explosive, depending on the model. Its completely the pilot's discretion as to what weapon system he/ she uses. The 30mm cannon on the AH-64 is accurate, but not nearly accurate as the Hellfire. The .50 on the OH-58 is even worse, basically an area weapon. The pilot probably believed he would have a better probability with the Hellfire, plus the potential to eliminate the IED that was also set in.

Don't disagree with any of this. They should use whatever they can get
the job done with.

-Mike

Lovely. Thanks for brightening my day.
I heard talk of building an accurate .50 anti sniper weapon for the predator. I guess running out of munitions with plenty of fuel is an issue. Being able to do one shot one kill, with a couple of hundred rounds of ammo on board could come in handy.

Made my day......[smile]

Two less scumbags..... Doesn't get much better than this....[wink]

3 actually. 1 waste of life in the road and 2 of his worthless sacks of *&($ friends by the roadside.

When considering the cost of the missile, you cannot forget that if that IED blew up a couple trucks, killed a few soldiers and maimed a few more, the cost (ignoring the loss of life alone!) would be higher. Those vehicles aren't cheap and all the medical stuff, until Obama passes his plan and we all get free healthcare, is equally expensive. [grin]

I love these videos. The Hellfire pretty much assures the IED is detonated along with the worthless flesh.

Last edited:
The pilot probably believed he would have a better probability with the Hellfire, plus the potential to eliminate the IED that was also set in.

thats why i figured he used that 1st. not only can he take the IED out he can take out the guy on the raod, and then fire the 30mm at his boyfriend off to the side.

theres no reason to keep IEDs and UXO sitting around the road waiting for EOD when you can just take that mess out yourself...

thats why i figured he used that 1st. not only can he take the IED out he can take out the guy on the raod, and then fire the 30mm at his boyfriend off to the side.

theres no reason to keep IEDs and UXO sitting around the road waiting for EOD when you can just take that mess out yourself...

EOD or a RCP is still gonna have to go clear it but its def a better way to go. The guns are alright, but they dont hit them, they run..can be a pain in the ass to find them again if they jump in a canal or whatever. Makes a long f***ing night. If the Hellfire's actually go off they're pretty spot on. But the Apaches cant compare to having Kdubs go hot with their .50s.. is always an abortion. At least the 30mm is somewhat accurate and looks/ sounds pretty f***ing cool.

Back
Top Bottom