Helicopter Spotting....No, Seriously This Time.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just 20 minutes ago I was driving eastbound on I-8 in Yuma. Ahead of me, I saw a helicopter flying towards me straight down the highway at pretty low altitude, maybe 400' AGL. I see Cobras flying around all the time, so I didn't think too much of it, especially when I saw the wings on the side. As it got closer, though, I realized that it didn't have the right rotor mast for a Cobra, and the wings were sloped downward slightly. I then spotted a very distinct characteristic double bubble canopy. Sure as $#!+, it was a Mi-24 and it had ordnance loaded on the wings. Sooooo, is it go time yet?

GPP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's the only thing I can figure. Must be gearing up for the annual WTI training or something.
I bet it was part of the Afghan pilot training program ( I'm not kidding lol). When I was there in 2011, in Wardak province there were US and Polish helos shadowing Afghan MI-24s on missions. I spoke with a few different pilots that said they were training Afghan instructor pilots here in the US. I think the US has committed to doing this until 2024

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it near Goldwater?

Never saw a Hind in all the years I prowled that area.

Edit: I miss that desert every day, loved the A10 gunnery range right by the checkpoint.

Last edited:

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Was it near Goldwater?

Never saw a Hind in all the years I prowled that area.

Edit: I miss that desert every day, loved the A10 gunnery range right by the checkpoint.
Yeah, it was about 3 miles north of BMG. I've actually never seen A-10's out here now that you mention it. I have had the pleasure of using NVG's to watch Cobras make strafing runs on Yodaville on a couple of occasions. THAT was badass.

Top Bottom