Heavy Parrot Content: So that the large checks thread doesn't get locked

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is one of the best parrot stories ever. The latest info I could find was from 2014 and the bird was still alive. I do know that Macaws can live past 100 and that is why I have made provisions in my will for mine.

Some claim this as urban legend, but most seem to believe it is factual. Who knows? In any event it makes for a good story.

CHURCHILL’S PARROT STILL SQUAWKING AT 104

By Bill Hoffman

January 20, 2004 | 5:00am

Winston Churchill may be long gone, but his beloved pet parrot is still going strong at 104 years old – and spends his days cheerfully spewing out curses at the Nazis.

Charlie, a blue and gold female macaw, lives at a garden center in southeast England and apparently hasn’t forgotten the profane, private utterings of Britain’s legendary prime minister.

“F – – – Hitler! F – – – the Nazis!” the bird reportedly shrieks.

Churchill first bought Charlie in 1937, two years before the outbreak of World War II.

During the war, Churchill would delight visitors to his private chambers by getting Charlie to curse out the Germans – and the bird has apparently kept up the tradition.

Bird experts say parrots have been known to live up to 110 years.

Charlie, seen here with Sylvia Martin, used to be Winston Churchill's pet parrot during the Second World War

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not for nothing, but I am trying to convince the wife to let me have one of these beauties.

Female Vosmaeri Eclectus - Family member had one, along with a Hyacinth Macaw, African Grey and a Moluccan Cockatoo. Those birds loved me, and the Eclectus would hang out in my sweatshirt pouch or hood. She was a great bird!

DSC_0116.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not for nothing, but I am trying to convince the wife to let me have one of these beauties.

Female Vosmaeri Eclectus - Family member had one, along with a Hyacinth Macaw, African Grey and a Moluccan Cockatoo. Those birds loved me, and the Eclectus would hang out in my sweatshirt pouch or hood. She was a great bird!

View attachment 309371
Those are beautiful birds, I hope you can convince the wife.

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Depending on your Pronunciation

upload_2019-10-25_16-18-38.jpeg

Somewhat relevant.

Ol’ Billy looks like he wants to give Ross a wet Willy (in more ways than one).

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sure, why not. Why waste perfectly good baked beans? [banana]
Well it is a tough call. I was getting hungry just looking at the image of these delicious baked beans up there... with a bird walking all over them. Normally I would be all like "yuck, a bird walked on that food? I'm not eating it". But, it is baked beans. A food that is close to perfection, only surpassed by bacon. I have gotten used to cats walking all over us while we are trying to eat, and doing things like jumping up on the counter and stealing food, etc. So, yeah... I might actually have to eat these bird beans.

jct61765

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the best parrot stories ever. The latest info I could find was from 2014 and the bird was still alive. I do know that Macaws can live past 100 and that is why I have made provisions in my will for mine.

Some claim this as urban legend, but most seem to believe it is factual. Who knows? In any event it makes for a good story.

CHURCHILL’S PARROT STILL SQUAWKING AT 104

By Bill Hoffman

January 20, 2004 | 5:00am

Winston Churchill may be long gone, but his beloved pet parrot is still going strong at 104 years old – and spends his days cheerfully spewing out curses at the Nazis.

Charlie, a blue and gold female macaw, lives at a garden center in southeast England and apparently hasn’t forgotten the profane, private utterings of Britain’s legendary prime minister.

“F – – – Hitler! F – – – the Nazis!” the bird reportedly shrieks.

Churchill first bought Charlie in 1937, two years before the outbreak of World War II.

During the war, Churchill would delight visitors to his private chambers by getting Charlie to curse out the Germans – and the bird has apparently kept up the tradition.

Bird experts say parrots have been known to live up to 110 years.

Charlie, seen here with Sylvia Martin, used to be Winston Churchill's pet parrot during the Second World War
That’s a woman? It looks like an old Henry Winkler.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
According to the Presidential Pet Museum:
President Andrew Jackson’s pet parrot started uttering obscenities during the former president’s own funeral and had to be removed.
A quote attributed to the Rev. William Menefee Norment, who was presiding at the service, and found in Volume 3 of Samuel G. Heiskell’s Andrew Jackson and Early Tennessee History:
“Before the sermon and while the crowd was gathering, a wicked parrot that was a household pet got excited and commenced swearing so loud and long as to disturb the people and had to be carried from the house.”
The Rev. Norment goes on to report that the presidential parrot was “excited by the multitude and … let loose perfect gusts of ‘cuss words.’” People were “horrified and awed at the bird’s lack of reverence.”

Top Bottom