Heavy Carbine with Ken Allen

AAR 5/20/17
Heavy Carbine with Ken Allen
I first trained with Ken at Sig Sauer academy and now have hadthe pleasure of training with him on his own several times atPelham Fish and Game in Pelham, NH. This class was unique inthat we had the rare opportunity to train with our “heavy” incaliber and weight rifles. The class was more or less dividedbetween AK variants and 308/7.62 x 51 rifles. We started withstrong safety review that is always welcome even with a groupof experienced shooters that are familiar to each other. Thenspent some time examining the variety of rifles and talkingabout when and why a heavy carbine might be a good choice,welcome info for those of us that have one but not 100% clearon when it might be the preferred weapon. Then hit the range fora multitude of drills from short range working on our offset tolonger range and prone for zeroing our optics.The afternoon wedid some shooting from multiple stances and rifle positionsincluding kneeling, speed kneeling, and two knees. My personalfavorite was “junkyard prone” from behind cover, a bit morechallenging with a heavier recoiling rifle but can be done andallows you to reveal a minimal amount of yourself from behindcover. Ken is an excellent instructor and always makes sure eachstudent gets some attention and individual instruction. Eachinstructor I train with I get different aspects of my overalltraining whether its tactics, force on force, edged weapons , etcbut for improving my shooting ability and weapons handling Ihave learned so much from Ken and will continue to train withhim as much as possible. Thanks again Ken for teaching us.George Gordon

Back
Top Bottom