• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Heavy Barrel mosin... almost complete (pics)

Well I am almost finished with this little adventure, so I figured i'd post a few pics and my ideas in hope for some feedback from ya'll. A few months back I posted a little cry for help from the board and my cries were answered. After purchasing my heavy barrel from classic arms i found that I did not have the heart to hurt my current mosin , thankfully I was able to find a nice 1932 izzy that had been bubbaded and was only good for wall hanging or a nice club. Ill post the link to that thread instead of going into the whole barrel removal process which was umm fun i must say. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...achine-shop-help!?highlight=machine+shop+helpAs i am no gunsmith I decided it be better for my and others around me to bring this to a gunsmith... No one wanted to touch this ( a few local shops hung up the phone or were just effing aholes), I was getting desperate then a few wonderful members here suggested a local guy practically across the street from me, Mike Pigney... this man is a true artist. Mike not only was willing to take this on but was incredibly professional (wicked cool/nice dude) . When he was finished i rushed to his shop to find that he had not only turned down the barrel as i had wished but he had re crowned the barrel wit a nice target crown and had sleeved the barrel to improve the breach to barrel torque surface at no extra charge (he said he felt better about the reliability of the rifle doing those few things in addition to head-spacing and machining the barrel). Enough of my horrible grammar and punctuation... pics!

IMG_20120303_111209.jpg IMG_20120326_223211.jpg IMG_20120326_224104.jpg 1330732859994.jpg these are just a few dirty poses

IMG_20120326_224359.jpg IMG_20120326_224410.jpg I was able to get it shooting pretty decently at 100yds with 147 grain Russian surplus

I believe any inaccuracy with this rifle is due to the trigger being stock and yes me. I want to purechase the timney trigger asap as well as get a nice stock for it from boyds.Im also trying to decide between finishes, either a nice park job or a duracote/cerakote... thanks for looking please chime in I need direction and ideas!

DUDE, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO ATTACH BAYONET??? [rofl]

very nice, even without fancy shmancy finish or stock, it looks very nice.

Good job. And don't feel bad about "altering history". They made millions of those, and this is one thing surplus guns are great for. I own several deer rifles my granddad sporterized form mil bolt actions. I love 'em.

I got to shoot this the other day, It was a blast. We had a few groups that were nice. I would love to see what this thing will do with handloads.

Hurry up and get that trigger and new stock and lets shoot some groups

im glad you stuck with the full barrel(might not be you, where you looking to machine barrel down to fit stock better? Looks good.

Thanks everbody. The new trigger is BO by brownells at the moment and so is a nice stock from Boyd's, hopefully I can do something with fabricating a new bolt Handel for this beast. And ultimately a nice cerakot finsih and a fancy shmancy piece of glass that holds its zero lol. And yes eventually there will be a bayonet on this fool. I did keep the barrel heavy as I wanted a nice stupid heavy gun and Mr Pigney was kind enough to profile the barrel for me in a functional way. The origanl barrel had a massive upper metal chunk where the Handel for the UK 59 was... And thanks Andrew, hopefully with the trigger we can group nicely at 100 and maybe 300 :D. And if your ever in taunton folks please feel free to shoot it!

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

Zepp I will see you there, what time you thinking? I was hoping my new Creedmore would be in today but it is not looking like it. :(

Ahah timmney trigger showed up last night that thing is wicked pissah , breaks clean and is smooth as glass... Hopefully it improves my groups this Sunday...:)

fap fap fap. i have a 3# timney in my AR and they are great triggers IMO.

i've seen far worse done to mosins, you're doing great work dude.

I was thinking a little earlier on in the day for a range trip, im going to cut up the stock tomorrow night to get the trigger in... Atillaa thanks , oh and i should have a a thnkyou in the mail soon for you and EC's part donations !

Last edited:
Ahah timmney trigger showed up last night that thing is wicked pissah , breaks clean and is smooth as glass... Hopefully it improves my groups this Sunday...:)

Might be heading to there Sunday if I get the time. If I do I will keep an eye out for this monster!

Back
Top Bottom