Heated Jackets. Who has one?

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Whose got one? What do you think? Do they work well? As good as advertised? Worth the money?

I am considering a battery powered/ heated jacket. Mostly for when I am on the tractor, but for general use as well.
One of my buddies has the Milwaukee jacket, but the reviews are mixed. I like the ideal of a single light weight garmet as opposed to being so bundled up you can barely move.
Google would lead me to believe that the best brands are Orono and Fieldsheer.

My tractor does have a 120v outlet. Should I be looking at one of those, like they make for motorcycles and snowmobiles?
What sayeth the forum? I don't really have a price range but most of the jackets I have seen are $200- $300 bucks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have a 12v milwaukee jacket, didn't buy it, rolled a vendor for it. That said, I wouldn't buy one. They're great with a thin layer underneath, but a sweater...forget it. The heat gets lost between the sweater and your body.. And they eat the battery life

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just a suggestion, but the key to staying warm is hat, gloves, warm socks or boots. Also a balaclava on days when it’s just brutal outside.

Get a decent quality gore Tex outer layer and a thick sweatshirt. Long johns help a lot also even the cheap ones. And dress for your planned activity so you don’t sweat.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Never used them. I use Under Armor underwear, different levels for the temperatures. I will sweat if I use the the wrong one in warmer temps, never been cold with the right one.

RB101

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have the Ororo vest. It’s solid. Wire mesh in the front chest/rib area, neck, and kidney area.
battery lasts about 2 1/2 hours on high, about four on medium or whatever. This is my second season using it. A back up battery would be nice, but they’re not cheap. I find the key is you still need to layer. I wear a long sleeve shirt, then I wear the vest, then I put a hunting jacket over it. I find if the vest is worn alone you really don’t feel a ton of heat. But if you layer it, it does keep you warm.
The battery sits in the back near one of your kidneys, and it’s a heavy sucker. Maybe 2lbs. Noticeable. I’d buy another one based off my use so far.

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Never used them, been out on that NYE game a few years back where the wind was bitter a frost bite possoble if you didn't dress for it.

Under armour cold gear, wool socks, 5.11 boots, a Carhart, a jacket, a gator, and gloves and I was good

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It ain’t cheap, but on the coldest of cold days I can go outside with a t shirt on under this jacket. If I snowboard in it in negative degree weather I end up sweating my ass off.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a heated jacket liner that I wear on the bike. 12v hookup to the battery. Keeps me nice and toasty. I rode a little over 100 miles in the rain @ mid 40 degrees Friday in complete comfort. Gerbing makes good stuff. Connection to the tractor should be a snap.
Good luck

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just a suggestion, but the key to staying warm is hat, gloves, warm socks or boots. Also a balaclava on days when it’s just brutal outside.

Get a decent quality gore Tex outer layer and a thick sweatshirt. Long johns help a lot also even the cheap ones. And dress for your planned activity so you don’t sweat.
Oh, I am no stranger to spending time in the weather, and have the gear necessary to deal with just about anything, but the nice thing about a heated jacket is you can wear a thin layer for max comfort and mobility. Sitting still on a machine is entirely different than shoveling snow or even walking behind a snow blower. If you are moving, you stay warm.
With the heated jacket you can just turn it down/off when jumping off the tractor to clean a walkway etc. Otherwise, you have to shed layers.

They guy I know with the Milwaukee spent hours outside in a freezing rain, basically standing still, and was gtg.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It ain’t cheap, but on the coldest of cold days I can go outside with a t shirt on under this jacket. If I snowboard in it in negative degree weather I end up sweating my ass off.

I'll raise you

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Dave Marshall

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a battery heated lightweight quilted vest that I paid less than $100 for (with an extra battery) on amazon a couple years back.
It gets used as a second layer under my normal winter outerwear. It works quite well at keeping my core warm without adding too much extra bulk. I love it for any times I’ll be out in the cold and not moving around much.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've got a great solution to cold weather - stay inside. ;)

I used to have some insulated winter overalls. I have no idea WHAT I did wit them. They've been gone for 5 years or so. On a cold snowy day, they were nice to snowblow the driveway in. I'm gonna have to get a new set.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Love the brand but for half the money you can get 80-90% of the product quality elsewhere. Except the knee pads. Those things rock... $40 on sale ouch!

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love the brand but for half the money you can get 80-90% of the product quality elsewhere. Except the knee pads. Those things rock... $40 on sale ouch!
I should caveat and say I got mine when I worked at a ski shop, and every employee would get one 50% off wholesale card per season. So I got that jacket for $150.

whalerman69

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Whose got one? What do you think? Do they work well? As good as advertised? Worth the money?

I am considering a battery powered/ heated jacket. Mostly for when I am on the tractor, but for general use as well.
One of my buddies has the Milwaukee jacket, but the reviews are mixed. I like the ideal of a single light weight garmet as opposed to being so bundled up you can barely move.
Google would lead me to believe that the best brands are Orono and Fieldsheer.

My tractor does have a 120v outlet. Should I be looking at one of those, like they make for motorcycles and snowmobiles?
What sayeth the forum? I don't really have a price range but most of the jackets I have seen are $200- $300 bucks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Great now I gotta get a heated jacket??? [rofl]Couple buddies I hunt with have the Milwaukee's and like them.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I got an Ororo vest for Mrs Luvdog a few years ago. She's always cold. She loves it and every time other people shiver because it's cold, she's a happy camper that she can hit a button for warmth.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My wife has a pair of heated pants. She is strange. She wears them in the winter and summer. They aren't real thick at all. And that heater sounds awful loud. I just don't get it. I think they get too warm. Every time she turns them on, she can barely speak.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My wife has a pair of heated pants. She is strange. She wears them in the winter and summer. They aren't real thick at all. And that heater sounds awful loud. I just don't get it. I think they get too warm. Every time she turns them on, she can barely speak.
I've heard that you can get those with bluetooth and then you can control the temperature remotely.

Top Bottom