• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Heat Resistant Spray Paint

Broc

NES Member
This is not a troll thread.

This is for a fun project, nothing serious / high end.

I know Duracoat and Cerakote exist.

With that out of the way ...

I am looking, and having a hard time finding, GOLD and CHROME heat resistant spray paint. I found a gold meant for engines but doesn't look very shiny and I found some silver paint that looks OK meant for radiators.

I am trying to paint a slide and frame.

I am trying to be a skinflint here and avoid spending $150 on Duracoat. If I have to spend it, I will, but I want to look at my options first.

What do you guys recommend?

It doesn't need to be resistant to 2K degrees, I think 300 or so will be enough, maybe even less than that.

I am looking, and having a hard time finding, GOLD and CHROME heat resistant spray paint. I found a gold meant for engines but doesn't look very shiny and I found some silver paint that looks OK meant for radiators.

I am trying to be a skinflint here and avoid spending $150 on Duracoat. If I have to spend it, I will, but I want to look at my options first.

It doesn't need to be resistant to 2K degrees, I think 300 or so will be enough, maybe even less than that.
Engine block paint will do.

Attachments

• 8864F0D2-B30C-4D0F-BB88-5B923B2320FD.jpeg
    8864F0D2-B30C-4D0F-BB88-5B923B2320FD.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11

what about rub 'n buff, it is a carnauba based wax and I have no idea how it will hold up to heat

I found that one searching last week. Do you have experience using it?

I Googled pics, but people don't take great pictures.
I only done it once on 7.4 v8 of 74 Cuda.
I don’t recall what paint exactly I’ve used, but it’s all about prep work (Cleaned and degreased block)
Do not rush - many thin coats produces best result, if you’re planning to spray.
Now, to properly spray comes with experience. YouTube’s your friend :)

Engine block paint will do.
If they have a color you like and follow the directions it will come out nice.
Since tou skinflint’n buy the color you like and touch it up as needed.
Dont really need “high temp” paint.
Hi temp paints generally are not bright and glossy.

25 sheets of 24k GOLD for $53 bucks...
View attachment 505999
View attachment 506000

Clear VHT to clearcoat it...

View attachment 506004

Silver leaf too... $10.96 for 25 sheets...

View attachment 506008View attachment 506009
Bro, I thought about covering the frame and slide with gold leaf.

But I thought it would look like sh*t. It won't have a nice smooth finish. At least I dont think I will be able to give it a nice smooth finish.

It also won't work with the sick cammo pattern I will be using.

You're never going to get truly good gold or chrome out of a rattle can. You'll get mildly gold and chrome-like, but nothing will end up mirror. On top of that, there are few that are high temp. Rustolium makes a "metallic chrome" radiator paint made for high temps, but if you've ever seen a gray metal radiator, you know what type of finish I'm talking about. It's more gray than chrome.

Bottom line is that you'll never get close to dip or plating via a rattle can.

But I thought it would look like sh*t. It won't have a nice smooth finish. At least I dont think I will be able to give it a nice smooth finish.

Not sure if the stuff enbloc showed is thick enough, but at Least some of the gold leaf used for signs, striping, and lettering can be burnished into different finishes.

Just splash it VHT Chrome Plate paint. Its as good as your gonna get skinflint’n
Any wear from heat it will look “battle worn”

You're never going to get truly good gold or chrome out of a rattle can. You'll get mildly gold and chrome-like, but nothing will end up mirror. On top of that, there are few that are high temp. Rustolium makes a "metallic chrome" radiator paint made for high temps, but if you've ever seen a gray metal radiator, you know what type of finish I'm talking about. It's more gray than chrome.

Bottom line is that you'll never get close to dip or plating via a rattle can.
spray black, then copper, then chrome

still won't look right, but it will look better than it would otherwise.

I just might have a cerkote kit up in my reloading room. Haven’t used it but I know you can get the small bottles of product pretty cheap.
If you’re not doing large parts we won’t need anything more than a toaster or home size oven.

😲

1627345137726.png

Back
Top Bottom