• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HEARING PROTECTORS

WMD

I was looking to buy a pair of Caldwell electronic ear protectors from Midway. They are really inexpensive, so I am hesitating about their quality. Has anybody had any experience with them? Any other recommendations for less expensive electronic ear protectors?

I started the thread JonJ referered to. I have been using these ear protectors for a while now and for the price they have been great! I highly recommend a pair or three.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you also use ear plugs underneath or do they offer sufficient protection without them?

No plugs under mine. They work ok for me without them. I use them for all my guns, including my Mosins which are very loud.

Cool thing about mine is that when they are not activated by the gunshot, they actually amplify the sounds around you.

Where I shoot, I can listen to the crickets and birds chirping !

WMD said:
Thanks for the feedback. Do you also use ear plugs underneath or do they offer sufficient protection without them?

I have only used them for pistol so far (.22lr, 9mm, .40S&W, .357 Sig, .45 ACP). I have had no problems with noise. They also feel a bit better on my ears than my $130 Dillon electronic muffs. Bigger earcups I think.

I have them and they are great. I've used with 9mm, .40, and .45. They are 27dB reduction, so that's pretty darn good. They cut out sound is a little long, but not bad. Beats yelling at each other at the range.

Matt

Peltor Tac 6 with Rifles?

Has anyone had any experience with Peltor Tac 6 (over the head) electronic muffs while shooting various high power rifles?

Do they interfere with a good cheek weld or not?

I have the Peltor Tac 7 and they are great for pistol but unusable for rifle . . . too much interference with the butt stock of a rifle.

Thanks.

Re: Peltor Tac 6 with Rifles?

LenS said:
Has anyone had any experience with Peltor Tac 6 (over the head) electronic muffs while shooting various high power rifles?

Do they interfere with a good cheek weld or not?

I have the Peltor Tac 7 and they are great for pistol but unusable for rifle . . . too much interference with the butt stock of a rifle.

Thanks.
Yup, I have the Tactical 6S. No problems with cheek weld with me.
Do the 7's have bigger ear cups?

Thanks Jon.

Yes, the Tac 7s are much larger ear cups and also much higher level of protection. But no good with rifles . . . I've tried.

Yea, the 7's are a lot larger. Good thing about the 7s is that one knob works the volume and power for both ears. On the 6, there's one for each ear. So you can have the bad knock the button on one side and get to the range and have it not work in one ear.

That messes with your head.

FYI: These Caldwell electronic ear muffs are on sale at Midway now for $25!! Its a great deal if you want a second pair for guests. Not top quality, but for $25 you can't go wrong.

Matt

FYI: These Caldwell electronic ear muffs are on sale at Midway now for $25!! Its a great deal if you want a second pair for guests. Not top quality, but for $25 you can't go wrong.

Matt

I have a couple of pairs of these. They work well for the money. The issues I have found are the rotating switch does not have a hard detent and can get turned on in your bag. The potentiometer is noisy when adjusting the volume, so don't do it while they are on your ears. Also they take a while to "warm up" - adjust to the ambient background level. don't have them on your ears at this time either. minor problems, over all OK

I've found the Caldwells' to be a bit on the cheap side. They work, but they are cheaply made and it shows. As others have noted there are some issues with the electronics, I bought two pair and one set will not turn off - there is a small red LED inside which illuminates when the muffs are turned on. Now I have to remove the batteries to turn 'en off.

They're good as spares IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

I've found the Caldwells' to be a bit on the cheap side. They work, but they are cheaply made and it shows. As others have noted there are some issues with the electronics, I bought two pair and one set will not turn off - there is a small red LED inside which illuminates when the muffs are turned on. Now I have to remove the batteries to turn 'en off.

They're good as spares IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Agreed, but for $25 it's hard to beat.

Got to Harbor Freight Tools and type in part number 92851-3VGA

These electronic earmuffs are excellent for the price......how can you beat $9.99 a pair? I bought 2 pair before the went on sale and even at $19.99 they were a bargain. Get'em before they run out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom