• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hearing protection

imgone

NES Member
I tried the search but didn't see what I'm looking for. There is a guy at most gun shows who makes molded hearing protection, does anyone know where he is out of and how to get in contact with him ? Thank you.

Not sure where you're from, but the guy who runs the steel action shooting on every other Monday night over at Mass Firearms makes them, his card should be available in the common room on the board. If you're not a member I'm sure someone else will pull up his reference.

I had mine done by my audiologist at Lahey Medical Center. They are by far better than others I’ve had done at gun shows. I believe that many audiologists offer this service.

Had mine done at Mass Eye and ear today, figured since I was there with my daughter for her hearing test and check up I'd have mine done right after her appointment. I'd like to keep my hearing for as long as possible so the money part didn't bother me.

Had an audiologist do mine also. They do cost more than ones from the gun show/shoots, but the quality is far better and since they do a hearing test before and after, guarantee about 40 Db reduction in sound transmission. If that is not achieved, another set is made. Have never had a problem though, with the three sets they have made for my son and me.

Had an audiologist do mine also. They do cost more than ones from the gun show/shoots, but the quality is far better and since they do a hearing test before and after, guarantee about 40 Db reduction in sound transmission. If that is not achieved, another set is made. Have never had a problem though, with the three sets they have made for my son and me.

What audiologist did yours and how much did it cost you?

-Mike

I find this an interesting statement. What basis do you have to conclude that a pair made by a trained individual at a gun show is inferior to one made at an "audiologist"? The set I had made perform incredibly well with short barrelled 5.56 which is the loudest thing I've shot. Or more importantly, is there any reason to conclude that a set made by a technician at a show is not adequate by a wide margin what is required to fully protect the hearing from gunfire?

Okay. I paid $125 at the Dr.'s office for perfectly fitting, 40Db sound reduction guaranteed. In what ever color I wanted, or add $5 for a two color swirl. Went with the Black/red swirl. Are they better than a guy at a gun show stuffing some clay in your ear and saying "Don't move for 5 minutes."? I really don't know or care. I have hearing in but one ear and am not willing to take a chance on some bargain plugs. Saving a few dollars makes no sense to me in this case as I have no idea how or who or what the "training" was for the guy at the show.

Steve Brown, a local USPSA shooter and who runs matches with me at Mystic Valley. This is his Facebook page Ear Safety Systems

In case anyone wants to look further into Ear Safety Systems. EAR SAFETY SYSTEMS
It is a reputable system.

The Insta-Mold Process has been utilized by the hearing healthcare industry for almost 40 years. It is the only process written up in the Archives of Otolaryngology & Otology, and continues to be consistently recognized worldwide for its proven protection against extreme noise and water.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. $125-130 doesn't sound bad at all. My hearing is less than perfect already so it's worth it to me to invest a bit in keeping what I still have.

You guys wearing the custom earplugs, do you still double up with ear muffs? I feel like since I do that, my ear plugs are good enough.

You guys wearing the custom earplugs, do you still double up with ear muffs? I feel like since I do that, my ear plugs are good enough.
Several years ago I had a pair of HEARSafe plugs made at a local show. They've been fine as standalone ear pro for most things. I do like to double up with muffs in certain circumstances like shooting at an indoor range.

Just received my ear plugs today, I'll report back when I have a chance to try them out. I do like the way they fit and feel.
Do you have the contact info for the place at Mass Eye and Ear you had them done at? If yours work well at the range I think thats the route I would like to go.

Do you have the contact info for the place at Mass Eye and Ear you had them done at? If yours work well at the range I think thats the route I would like to go.

+1. I've called several local folks and I'm not getting great responses. Doesn't sound like they get many requests and are a little unsure about how to proceed. Rather go with the experts.

I'm looking for a audiologist treatment:

Who does it in Western Mass?

I really like the idea of the test to prove it works.

Note to self:

Remove ear hair before procedure.

Back
Top Bottom