Heard an interesting gun store anecdote today

Lesson learned, when you check yourself in, leave your LTC at home and don't talk about guns. Voluntary Rehab is not supposed to disqualify you from a LTC, depending on the severity and purpose of the rehab.

Poor bastard, like he isn't having a tough enough time.

Story sounds a bit suspect (why/how did the people in charge of the rehab center happen to find the guys LTC in his wallet, and was there any legal obligation for them to notify the PD?). The commitment was voluntary (it's not like the guy was found passed out drunk and his wallet was searched in order to determine his identity or medical insurance information).

It sounds believable because Brookline is involved.

I vaguely recall one particular incident involving the Brookline PD where they went to a law abiding citizens home and confiscated his firearms due to a denied LTC issue. One of our esteemed NES lawyers was involved, but I don't recall which one.

By law, only an "INVOLUNTARY" (court-ordered) trip to rehab is a statutory DQ.

HOWEVER, ANY and ALL info that comes into the hands of the PD CAN LEGALLY be used to determine "suitability" or "UNsuitability". Thus, as terrible as it is, Brookline PD didn't do anything (legally) wrong here and Scriv is right, he'll NEVER get his guns back or his LTC from them.

LESSON TO BE LEARNED:

- If you are going to the hospital or rehab (for ANY REASON), do NOT bring anything with you that you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED! Leave your wallet at home along with any valuables. Take your medical insurance card, a few dollars and maybe one blank check to pay your co-pay if needed.

When my late Father lost a leg to diabetes, they transfered him to Braintree Hospital (I think it has a different name now) for rehab. They asked him for his DL as they cut it up and return it to the RMV with a letter so that the person's DL is REVOKED for medical reasons (apparent hospital policy in such cases).

I remember Dad telling me this and that he refused to give them his DL.

Bottom line, they taught him to drive with special foot controls and gave him info to get them installed on his own car. But I don't think he ever took a new RMV driving test and he continued to drive on his old DL until his death (~1 year later).

is whether his permit was issued by Brookline (doubtful) or his rehab was in Brookline.

As the story said "a Brookline guy," one must presume (with the inherent danger therein) that, as a Brookline resident, he held a Brookline-issued license.

By law, only an "INVOLUNTARY" (court-ordered) trip to rehab is a statutory DQ.

HOWEVER, ANY and ALL info that comes into the hands of the PD CAN LEGALLY be used to determine "suitability" or "UNsuitability". Thus, as terrible as it is, Brookline PD didn't do anything (legally) wrong here and Scriv is right, he'll NEVER get his guns back or his LTC from them.

By MA law... "Ineligibility waived after 5 years from treatment with physician’s affidavit".

http://www.goal.org/PDF/disqual.pdf

I would assume that the person can reapply for his/her LTC/FID, however... as you pointed out, the CLEO could still abuse their discretion and still find the person "unsuitable".

At the very least, could person still obtain an FID card (assuming no substance abuse as defined by Federal law)?

I may have made an incorrect assumption

As the story said "a Brookline guy," one must presume (with the inherent danger therein) that, as a Brookline resident, he held a Brookline-issued license.

The story as it was related to me only mentioned it was Brookline cops who confiscated it. I inserted my own subconcious editorial that it was a "Brookline guy." That's why I'm not a lawyer I suppose.

IMO Brookline doing this is not a surprise. It's easier to move than it is to
get an LTC there.... it's by far one of the worst cities in MA for
issuance. I would also bet money that Brookline would try to revoke
someones license if they were ever called over an exigent
circumstance... EG, guy is somehow carrying on an LTC/A/ALP in brookline,
he has a heart attack, hospital calls cops cause of gun and LTC, if the
LTC isn't brooklines, I can guarantee that they will call the IA and try to
invent a sob story about how the victim shouldn't have a license. They
are anti-gun cocksuckers to the core.

I also agree with what LenS said about leaving anything that isn't necessary
at home. All the hospital will ever do is either lose it or do something
stupid with it. (like what happened to that guy). And I don't care what
hospital it is either or for what reason. Reminds me of something years ago
where they moved my grandfather from one room to another, and invariably
some of his money disappeared from his wallet. It was extra despicable
too, because he was not the type of guy to carry any more than about 20-40
dollars with him at any one given time.

-Mike

Login,

You are right on the statutory part . . . problem is "discretion" on "suitability" and for that I could almost guarantee what Brookline would do! [rolleyes]

I remember as a teenager in the 80's getting my first FID card there. It was like asking for permission to rape or something.

When I turned 18 in 82, I went in to the Brookline PD for my FID card and they just had me fill out the piece of paper. Two dollars and two minutes. Done.

Then, as I was about to leave, the officer asked me what I wanted it for anyway. I said I wanted to be able to buy pellets so that I could use my brothers pellet pistol. He asked me if my brother had a handgun permit. I said I didn't know. He then said he was going to send an officer to my house to speak with my brother to see if he had a permit, and if he didn't, he was going to confiscate his pellet gun. so I was told to tell my older brother that the police were going to call on him.

Brookline SUCKS!

I can't count the amount of times the police stopped me for nothing while just walking down the street.

One of their esteemed town leaders tried to jump me at a wedding when I was 19. The bogus old broad was my first grade classmates mother.

After WWII, my late Parents bought a 2-family house (with my Aunt and Uncle) in Brookline. Our neighborhood was mostly cops and firemen . . . my first babysitter was a neighbor that subsequently retired as a Captain in Brookline PD.

For whatever reason, my Father joined the Brookline Auxiliary PD (unarmed). But when they used him as part of a two-man patrol checking out the Brookline High School for a break-in, the FT PO he was with told him "Paul, you go that way and I'll go this way" (long wings in the school), my Father said, what if I run into someone . . . the other officer told him, "just blow your whistle and I'll come running". [This was before there were any portable radios.] My Father talked with the Brookline Chief at that time and told him that he'd made it thru WWII (France D+10 straight thru to Berlin) without getting shot and demanded that the Aux. POs be armed (I'll bet all of them were WWII Vets). The Chief refused and my Father resigned. When cleaning up his house some years ago, I did find his resignation letter.

It's now 60 years later, but nothing much has changed in Brookline!! [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom