Health officials prepare for swine flu 'pandemic'

Although there are many reasons to control the border, this probably isn't one. Here's the really good news about this. Tamiflu works, at least on the few cases identified here in the US.

The real problem is that viruses travel widely before the first cases are actually identified. And of course, it's not just illegals that have it. People traveling legitimately to the US can have the virus. For that matter someone flying from Mexico to Canada can have it and spread it to someone there. That person can either come to the US or infect someone who is.

With an epidemic, we're mostly going to be at least one step behind the virus. Which is why public health authorities are always pushing for the public to get flu vaccine shots.

World Health Organization Confirms Swine Flu Outbreak in U.S.

I read this article this morning

STEPHANIE NEBEHAY
Reuters
April 24, 2009
GENEVA — The World Health Organization (WHO) voiced concern today at a confirmed outbreak of swine flu in the United States and what it called more than 800 human “influenza-like” cases in Mexico, including about 60 deaths.

The United Nations agency said it had activated its Strategic Health Operations Centre (SHOC), its command and control centre for acute public health events, but could not say whether it was considering issuing a travel advisory.

U.S. public health officials said on Thursday that seven people had been diagnosed with a new kind of swine flu in California and Texas, while Mexican authorities were due to announce test results later today, WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said in Geneva. “We are in daily contact with U.S., Canadian and Mexican authorities,” Mr. Hartl added.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the virus was a never-before-seen mixture of viruses typical among pigs, birds and humans. All seven American patients have recovered.

There are numerous posts on what to do to prepare in general. For this particular flu pandemic all I can add is stay away from public interaction in general--particularly mass transit, where you will be subject to close quarters and limited ventilation with people that are more likely to be from an infected region. Masks with a N95 rating or higher would be helpful if you must venture out if things escalate. Likewise if a household member becomes sick isolation and interaction with a mask would be prudent (the infected should wear the mask too). The masks are cheap and handy to have around for home improvement projects too. When to put one on is your choice.

In general there are two types of responses to epidemics: shelter in place or evacuation (often referred to as bug-in and bug-out respectively). This to me seems like a shelter-in-place scenario. If the flu spreads to pandemic proportions you should stay in your house and avoid contact with the public. Moving to another location would for most people increase your exposure potential (most don't have a place to go to anyway).

Last edited:
To add to the what to dos.... wash hands OFTEN with antibiotic hand sanitizers. Take a good multivitamin, large in Vitamin C. Drink more water than normal. Wash hands after handling ANY money. As previously posted, avoid congested venues, contact with large crowds etc. Good time to grab a handful of antiseptic wipes and put em in your pockets. Wipe down utensils if you go out to eat. Wipe down telephone recievers at work if they are a source of multiple use. If your job includes using radios... wipe down the whole thing. Door handles that are overused, bathroom doors especially, should get a good healthy spray of lysol antibacterial spray. Simple stuff that can help fight off the cross contamination from host to host.

NBC News has also learned there are suspected cases in Minnesota and Massachusetts. The total number of U.S. cases stands at 11 confirmed so far.

I'm just so, so glad we have a leader in the White House that'll shut down our southern border - I mean lock it up tight - to prevent the spread of this virus and the loss of American lives.

FYI: http://cdc.gov/swineflu/

Questions & Answers
Swine Influenza and You

What is swine flu?
Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza viruses. Outbreaks of swine flu happen regularly in pigs. People do not normally get swine flu, but human infections can and do happen. Most commonly, human cases of swine flu happen in people who are around pigs but it’s possible for swine flu viruses to spread from person to person also.

Are there human infections with swine flu in the U.S.?
In late March and early April 2009, cases of human infection with swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses were first reported in Southern California and near San Antonio, Texas. CDC and local and state health agencies are working together to investigate this situation.

Is this swine flu virus contagious?
CDC has determined that this virus is contagious and is spreading from human to human. However, at this time, it not known how easily the virus spreads between people.

What are the signs and symptoms of swine flu in people?
The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular human flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu. In the past, severe illness (pneumonia and respiratory failure) and deaths have been reported with swine flu infection in people. Like seasonal flu, swine flu may cause a worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

How serious is swine flu infection?
Like seasonal flu, swine flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe. Between 2005 until January 2009, 12 human cases of swine flu were detected in the U.S. with no deaths occurring. However, swine flu infection can be serious. In September 1988, a previously healthy 32-year-old pregnant woman in Wisconsin was hospitalized for pneumonia after being infected with swine flu and died 8 days later. A swine flu outbreak in Fort Dix, New Jersey occurred in 1976 that caused more than 200 cases with serious illness in several people and one death.

How do you catch swine flu?
Spread of swine flu can occur in two ways:

* Through contact with infected pigs or environments contaminated with swine flu viruses.
* Through contact with a person with swine flu. Human-to-human spread of swine flu has been documented also and is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu. Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.

Are there medicines to treat swine flu?
Yes. CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with these swine influenza viruses. Antiviral drugs are prescription medicines (pills, liquid or an inhaler) that fight against the flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in your body. If you get sick, antiviral drugs can make your illness milder and make you feel better faster. They may also prevent serious flu complications. For treatment, antiviral drugs work best if started soon after getting sick (within 2 days of symptoms).

How long can an infected person spread swine flu to others?
People with swine influenza virus infection should be considered potentially contagious as long as they are symptomatic and possible for up to 7 days following illness onset. Children, especially younger children, might potentially be contagious for longer periods.

What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?
There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza. Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
* Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are
also effective.
* Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
* If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread
this way.

What should I do if I get sick?
If you live in San Diego County or Imperial County California or Guadalupe County, Texas and become ill with influenza-like symptoms, including fever, body aches, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, or vomiting or diarrhea, you may want to contact their health care provider, particularly if you are worried about your symptoms. Your health care provider will determine whether influenza testing or treatment is needed.

If you are sick, you should stay home and avoid contact with other people as much as possible to keep from spreading your illness to others.

If you become ill and experience any of the following warning signs, seek emergency medical care.

In children emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

* Fast breathing or trouble breathing
* Bluish skin color
* Not drinking enough fluids
* Not waking up or not interacting
* Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
* Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
* Fever with a rash

In adults, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

* Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
* Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
* Sudden dizziness
* Confusion
* Severe or persistent vomiting

Can I get swine influenza from eating or preparing pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not spread by food. You cannot get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork products is safe.

While there is a small sample set, the mortality rate is arguably very high:

• Between 2005 until January 2009, 12 human cases of swine flu were detected in the U.S. with no deaths occurring. (Good)
  • In September 1988, a previously healthy 32-year-old pregnant woman in Wisconsin was hospitalized for pneumonia after being infected with swine flu and died 8 days later.
  • A swine flu outbreak in Fort Dix, New Jersey occurred in 1976 that caused more than 200 cases with serious illness in several people and one death.

So that's an average mortality rate of: (0% + 100% +0.5%)/3= 33% average so far in the US - granted the sample sets are not ideal statistically, but even using the 200 people at Fort Dix the mortality rate of 0.5% is alarmingly high. Using the available numbers from Mexico, the rate is something approaching 3.5-7% (sample size of ">1000" with 68 deaths) [shocked].

Last edited:
OBAMA GREETED IN MEXICO BY MAN WHO DIED DAYS LATER OF FLU SYMPTOMS...

HOPE

The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama’s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico’s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn’t confirm if Solis had swine flu or not.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aEsNownABJ6Q&refer=worldwide

Quote:
The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama’s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico’s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn’t confirm if Solis had swine flu or not.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

And even more HOPE, perhaps he managed to spread it to Hugo, Raoul and the rest of their good buddies.

FYI: http://cdc.gov/swineflu/

While there is a small sample set, the mortality rate is arguably very high:

• Between 2005 until January 2009, 12 human cases of swine flu were detected in the U.S. with no deaths occurring. (Good)
  • In September 1988, a previously healthy 32-year-old pregnant woman in Wisconsin was hospitalized for pneumonia after being infected with swine flu and died 8 days later.
  • A swine flu outbreak in Fort Dix, New Jersey occurred in 1976 that caused more than 200 cases with serious illness in several people and one death.

So that's an average mortality rate of: (0% + 100% +0.5%)/3= 33% average so far in the US - granted the sample sets are not ideal statistically, but even using the 200 people at Fort Dix the mortality rate of 0.5% is alarmingly high. Using the available numbers from Mexico, the rate is something approaching 3.5-7% (sample size of ">1000" with 68 deaths) [shocked].

Your math is off on the American deaths from swine flu. There are 213 confirmed cases in your statistics with 2 deaths, 1 indirect (pneumonia) and 1 where it's unknown if it was a direct or indirect death from SF. Pneumonia has a high mortality rate (up to 5% depending on the type of pneumonia) especially when combined with other respiratory conditions, so I'm not sure we should even include that one. Either way, the current mortality rate is between 0.5-1%, not 33%. The high death rate in Mexico may also be related to living conditions and health care there. It's difficult to compare death rates across different countries.

In either case, it seems the best way to protect yourself is the same as with any other disease. Wash your hands, avoid unnecessary contact with the sick, add more vitamin C and protein to your diet to strengthen your immune system, and get plenty of sleep.

Your math is off on the American deaths from swine flu. There are 213 confirmed cases in your statistics with 2 deaths, 1 indirect (pneumonia) and 1 where it's unknown if it was a direct or indirect death from SF. Pneumonia has a high mortality rate (up to 5% depending on the type of pneumonia) especially when combined with other respiratory conditions, so I'm not sure we should even include that one. Either way, the current mortality rate is between 0.5-1%, not 33%. The high death rate in Mexico may also be related to living conditions and health care there. It's difficult to compare death rates across different countries.

In either case, it seems the best way to protect yourself is the same as with any other disease. Wash your hands, avoid unnecessary contact with the sick, add more vitamin C and protein to your diet to strengthen your immune system, and get plenty of sleep.

Well, the math is right, the interpretation is admittedly suspect though. I took the incidents separately, because detection of the flu and treatment is needed. As I stated in my post, the Fort Dix incident is more indicative, at 0.5% - which you reiterated.

In any case, a mortality rate of 0.5% is very high. There are 6,497,967 people in MA. if 1 out of 100 were infected at that mortality rate there would be 325 dead people. At 1 out of 10 that would be 3250, or a modest town worth of people[thinking]. I suspect that the cities will be worst if it spreads. Stay off the subway...

ETA: at 0.5% mortality and 1 out of 100 infected, there's a 40% chance one member of this board will die of this.

Last edited:
US says not testing travelers from Mexico for flu
26 Apr 2009 17:19:55 GMT
Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, April 26 (Reuters) - The United States is not testing airplane travelers from Mexico for the swine flu virus that has heightened fears of a possible pandemic, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on Sunday.

"Right now we don't think the facts warrant more active testing or screening of passengers coming in from Mexico," she said at a White House briefing

http://lite.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N26491120.htm

Yuh. Testing people for the presence of a potentially deadly virus as the world girds for a possible pandemic would probably ... unfairly stigmatize someone, somewhere.

Is anyone thinking of pulling their kids out of school? What is the trigger point to do that? When cases are found in your state? Maybe too late if they are found in your town?

Nobody is reported to have died in the US yet, but something like 200 deaths reported in Mexico. Is there something that would explain that? Perhaps the virus is much more widespread in Mexico than we think, so the case fatality rate is smaller than we think?

We are going to start 'social distancing', which means avoiding gatherings of people, crowds, movies, stores, etc, when possible.

Is anyone thinking of pulling their kids out of school? What is the trigger point to do that? When cases are found in your state? Maybe too late if they are found in your town?

I imagine (hope) that school districts are discussing contingency planning should the virus erupt locally. With the bug already in NYC, there's a ready vector direct to Berkshire County as the summer people start coming up to get their second homes opened up.

I'm not sure what would be required to actually close schools, but I'd expect a high rate of voluntary absenteeism eve even one case of this flu comes up in any school here.

Well, the math is right, the interpretation is admittedly suspect though. I took the incidents separately, because detection of the flu and treatment is needed. As I stated in my post, the Fort Dix incident is more indicative, at 0.5% - which you reiterated.

In any case, a mortality rate of 0.5% is very high. There are 6,497,967 people in MA. if 1 out of 100 were infected at that mortality rate there would be 325 dead people. At 1 out of 10 that would be 3250, or a modest town worth of people[thinking]. I suspect that the cities will be worst if it spreads. Stay off the subway...

ETA: at 0.5% mortality and 1 out of 100 infected, there's a 40% chance one member of this board will die of this.

It's not a random .5%, like any strain of influenza, most of the deaths would be amongst high risk groups. With that said, the flu certainly sucks....

Here are some links to a group of AJ videos on You Tube.

I have only watched the first 3 so the other content is at your own risk.

Alex talks about the new Swine, Bird flu.
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 1/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IhrIbIts-8
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 2/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH4jIn2I-mw
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 3/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewt0g_HPRus
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 4/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Ux-okjjR4
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 5/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7BCiq9rW-I
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 6/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_VA82Niam8
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 7/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2XOoR-Q3Q
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 8/9:Swine Flu Special Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_bmxU3CMM
Alex Jones Tv (HD) 9/9:Swine Flu Special Report
Couldnt find the 9th link.

I read something linked from GIM about the N95 masks that they wont filter out the flu virus.

Would suggest something better.

Will link to the GIM thread once I find it again.

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=369981

Video about death from vaccines.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...L30SdvbC56SrQKyt_zeCg&q=Eustace+Mullins&hl=en

ETA: Usurper exposed to Swine flu virus.
http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=370536

Previous Swine Flu Outbreak Originated At Fort Dix

Mass vaccination program was halted after hundreds contracted debilitating nerve disease

Steve Watson

InfoWars.net

Friday, April 24, 2009

Given the reports of the possibility of a swine flu epidemic, is interesting to note that last time there was a significant outbreak of a new form of swine flu in the U.S. it originated at the army base at Fort Dix, New Jersey.

Hundreds of soldiers on the base, mostly recruits, were infected without becoming ill in 1976.

President Gerald Ford immediately ordered a nationwide vaccination program.

More than 40 million people were vaccinated. However, the program was stopped short after over 500 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a severe paralyzing nerve disease, were reported. 30 people died as a direct result of the vaccinations.

Unanswered questions regarding the outbreak remain to this day. According to a CDC investigation, It is not known why the virus did not extend beyond basic trainees or beyond the military base. The source of the virus, the exact time of its introduction into Fort Dix, and factors limiting its spread and duration remain unknown.

Previous reports of attempts to use influenza as a bio weapon, should also have us asking concerned questions. See below for further reading.

‘Accidental’ Contamination Of Vaccine With Live Avian Flu Virus Virtually Impossible

Indonesia’s Health Minister Accuses U.S. Of Bird Flu Bio-Weapon Conspiracy

Military resurrects deadly flu virus

Experts fear escape of 1918 flu from lab

The avian flu fright: Politically timed for global ‘iatrogenocide’

Home Depot has N95 masks from 3M in Contractor packs of 20 for $19.99, never hurts to have a couple on hand.

Last edited:
I think the value of the face masks is not that they filter down to the size of a virus particle, they obviously do not. But they can catch droplets of fluid which hold the virus particles, and also they could keep you from touching your face as much with your hands.

I think the value of the face masks is not that they filter down to the size of a virus particle, they obviously do not. But they can catch droplets of fluid which hold the virus particles, and also they could keep you from touching your face as much with your hands.

+1 which is why you need to change your mask on a regular basis. Likewise you would change cloths and shower after being near infected people.

+1 which is why you need to change your mask on a regular basis. Likewise you would change cloths and shower after being near infected people.

There's ZERO evidence that flu is transmitted from sick-to-well people. The situation is much complicated.

Most of the "facts" you read or learned from your MD are based on bullshit that is not supported by research.

http://www.virologyj.com/content/5/1/29

Uh oh! Conspiracy theory!

Fort Detrick disease samples may be missing
Originally published April 22, 2009

By Justin M. Palk
News-Post Staff

Army criminal investigators are looking into the possibility that disease samples are missing from biolabs at Fort Detrick.
As first reported in today's edition of The Frederick News-Post by columnist Katherine Heerbrandt, the investigators are from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division unit at Fort Meade.

Chad Jones, spokesman for Fort Meade, said CID is investigating the possibility of missing virus samples from the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.

He said the only other detail he could provide is that the investigation is ongoing.

Fort Detrick does not have its own CID office, Jones said, which is why Fort Meade's CID was brought in.

Jones said he could not comment on when the investigation started.

CID is responsible for investigating crimes where the Army is, or may be, a party of interest, according to the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command website.

USAMRIID is the Army's top biodefense lab, where researchers study pathogens including Ebola, anthrax and plague.

In February, USAMRIID halted all its research into these and other diseases, known as "select agents" following the discovery of virus samples that weren't listed in its inventory.

The institute's commander, Col. John Skvorak, ordered research halted while workers conducted a complete inventory of the institute's select agents.

That inventory is nearly completed, though the exact end date isn't known yet, said Caree Vander Linden, USAMRIID spokeswoman.

Vander Linden said she didn't know about the CID investigation and referred questions to the CID's head public affairs office.

There is no indication whether the CID investigation is connected to USAMRIID's re-inventorying of its select agent stocks.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=89293

I have got to stop reading Alex Jones!

Mexican Government Decrees Special Powers in Flu Crisis

Swine Flu and Martial Law

Nobody is reported to have died in the US yet, but something like 200 deaths reported in Mexico. Is there something that would explain that? Perhaps the virus is much more widespread in Mexico than we think, so the case fatality rate is smaller than we think?

We are going to start 'social distancing', which means avoiding gatherings of people, crowds, movies, stores, etc, when possible.

I for one will NOT be sending my kids for the next couple of days.

See the map below for current cases of this virus.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?clie...d=118241535231063390954.000468430d173dabe781b

In my opinion you'll see the WHO flip the switch in the next 24-48 hours and change their rating from 3 to 5 or 6 (full scale pandemic) The criteria that they're using to keep it at phase 3 is BS as the virus currently exists in about 7 countries and has been confirmed human to human spread. Spin control and panic avoidance at it's finest

Hate to sound like a chicken little here , but you likely have no more than another day to finalize your preparations. If I'm right you can thank me, if I'm wrong , you'll just have a bunch of extra crap you can use later when the economy fully crashes.

Don't be swayed by the low case fatality rate in the US. Those who were infected were young. Typically with a killer pandemic sucha as 1918 it's the 18-45 yrs old that die as they have the strongest immune systems and it's the immune system that overeacts (cytokine storm) and kills you. All those kids who have recovered in NY , New Zealand and Texas have since infected their familes and everyone else that they've come in contact with. I'll bet you see it turn nasty within a week.

After all, it is the same virus seen in Mexico which has killed about 6% of those infected. Bear in mind that the 1918 Pandemic had a 2% Case fatality rate and that killed over 150 Million people.......

I'd treat everyone as though they're infected and get your house in order now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom