Healey on WBUR FM90.9 in a few minutes

Surrogate topics:
-Duped by for-profit college American Career Institute and got into excessive student loan debt, how do I know if I qualify for loan forgiveness?
-Calling to thank AG for healthcare kiosks for the visually impaired
-AG filed suit against Volkswagen recently, is suit going forward given Volkswagen's software and catalytic converter proposed fix?

Maura Healy gonna spew some more shit now? Lovely. What's she going to ban today?

Someone take notes, please. After last week's press conference, I can't stomach another announcement from her.

Though this does explain why I suddenly started feeling nauseous.

Opening with "5 former AGs backed AG MH decisions today..."

"This enforcement notice includes which assault weapons are banned..."

MH says it's HER RESPONSIBILITY to enforce the 18 year old AW laws. "Also bans copy cats and duplicates ... What we've seen is copycats being sold. Today I'm making clear that copycats are banned and that's what I'm making clear".

Now she's blaming "tons" of mass shootings for the reason to ban AW. It's her obligation after Orlando.

"Is this kind of gun (An AW) something that could be purchased in MA?"
Much to her surprise "these weapons" have been sold in MA (10,000 last year alone). So she wanted to take issue and enforce the law against AW (against manufacturers and dealers).

Uncertainty on guns:
"Gun dealers know what we're talking about - weapons designed for military use - designed to kill as many people as quickly as possible. The reason the state banned them is because they're meant to kill people - they have no use in civilian hands - no use for personal use"

She says she has the power to ban them. She blames the NRA to say that she is creating confusion. "Simply not true". "Enforcement notice is clear. The law is clear." The good news is that the gun dealers have complied which means they understand and get it.

She now is saying how sales of ARs rise after mass shootings.

She is insisting that there is no confusion because the reporting of FA10s has declined which means people get it. Gun makers have stopped advertising them as MA compliant. "We get to decide what is lawful in MA, not the manufacturers".

She says she's exercising her "responsibility" in this time and she has the authority to do this. Her actions are constitutional and lawful. "They did their homework and studied the issue. I would never act in a way that's without authority."

"This will not solve all gun violence"

"At the bare minimum we should be enforcing the laws..."

Last edited:
"More mass shootings than calendar days last year" - fact check, please.

When MotherJones refutes it, you know you're out there.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/no-there-were-not-355-mass-shootings-this-year

This wildly inflated statistic isn't just misleading the public—it's stirring undue fear and may be encouraging bad policies.
Everyone is desperate to know why these attacks happen and how we might stop them—and we can’t know, unless we focus on useful data.
In fact, there have been four mass shootings this year. Or, if you count using the federal government's current criteria—three or more victims killed in an indiscriminate public rampage—there have been six mass shootings this year.
I recently wrote in the New York Times about the dubious methodology behind the "mass shootings every day" claim—essentially, an anonymous guy on Reddit made it up—and why it makes little sense in the context of Sandy Hook or San Bernardino:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/no-there-were-not-355-mass-shootings-this-year

More mass shootings than calendar days? We wanted to be clear and take action? I don't think this is confusing at all.

I knew I shouldn't have listened to this. [angry]

Back
Top Bottom