• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey co-leads effort urging Supreme Court to allow student punishments for off-campus speech

"Disturbingly, the only group with a majority favoring punishment for off-campus speech are the kids who would be subject to such power. "Most full-time or part-time students (54%) say that it is appropriate for public schools to enforce punishments for their speech online while outside the classroom," notes The Economist/YouGov. About 31 percent oppose such penalties."

Well, yeah. These poor children, deprived of an understanding of the fact that other’s rights don’t end where their discomfort begins, want Adults to silence other students - Adults can "discipline" where their peers cannot "bully" to get their desired ends.

I’m rooting heavily for the Third Circuit here.

Schools in MA have to regulate off-campus bullying, and we can thank Phoebe Prince’s bullies for that. That law happened in 2010, long before Healey. That ship has long since sailed here. She’s now trying to make the rest of the country just like her state, and she will hopefully be told “GFY.”

The requirement to regulate off campus bullying has been a minor nightmare for schools.

Last edited:
I’m rooting heavily for the Third Circuit here.

Schools in MA have to regulate off-campus bullying, and we can thank Phoebe Prince’s bullies for that. That law happened in 2010, long before Healey. That ship has long since sailed here. She’s now trying to make the rest of the country just like her state, and she will hopefully be told “GFY.”

The requirement to regulate off campus bullying has been a minor nightmare for schools.
"bullying" is also known as harassment and I believe that actual law enforcement "can" step in at certain points. But schools don't want to just punish students for online bullying/harassment. your kid posts a picture from the gun range, or just posts that he WENT, and the school feels they have the right to punish him. Your kid goes to a rally the school doesn't approve of and posts on the internet (or not) - suspended.

Schools do NOT have the right to punish students for things they do off campus with the reservation of suspending students if they have committed a crime, especially a violent crime, off campus.

"bullying" is also known as harassment and I believe that actual law enforcement "can" step in at certain points. But schools don't want to just punish students for online bullying/harassment. your kid posts a picture from the gun range, or just posts that he WENT, and the school feels they have the right to punish him. Your kid goes to a rally the school doesn't approve of and posts on the internet (or not) - suspended.

Schools do NOT have the right to punish students for things they do off campus with the reservation of suspending students if they have committed a crime, especially a violent crime, off campus.

Granted. And that’s not behavior that Phoebe’s Law protects. When the school does such things, the families should absolutely sue them. Phoebes Law obligates the schools to involve LE.

In case you missed the meaning of “I’m rooting heavily for the Third Circuit here,” I’m not in favor of the schools regulating off-campus conduct in any way. You’ll find a similar sentiment in most people who work in schools, if you actually ask them. It’s a can of worms most would rather not open.

We had a couple of bullies at my high school; I think every school does. Had a couple more at my swim club. Learning to deal with them is part of growing up. The swim club bullies backed off when I punched one of them in the face. All they needed to be shown was that I was willing to get thrown out of the club, that I was willing to fight.

The high school bully who targeted me was tougher to deal with. He kicked my ass a couple of times, in public, much to my humiliation. He wasn't so happy when a friend of mine interfered and kicked his ass in a very public setting. My friend caught a two week suspension for that.
When the bully is a star athlete, nothing happens to the bully. Only the one caught defending themselves or another get punished.
I was bullied by fellow students and teachers, more specifically, teachers that were also athletic coaches. Gym teacher was the worst instigator. So the jocks always piled on.
It wasn't until I shot up to 6' and was then taller than many of them that it finally stopped.
Got my son into martial arts when he was 6 to bullyproof him. We though his height might make him a target. 99+percentile. He was 6' tall at age 12. Her earned his black belt at 9. 2nd dan at 11. no bully ever tried anything more than once.
EFlying.png

Last edited:
AAaaaaaand there goes the rest of the Constitution

View attachment 456700

BOSTON – Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey and District of Columbia Attorney General Karl Racine today co-led 24 attorneys general in filing a brief urging the U.S. Supreme Court to preserve schools’ ability to address cyberbullying and other forms of off-campus bullying.

The brief was filed today in Mahanoy Area School District v. B.L., a case concerning the ability of schools to hold students accountable for off-campus speech. The brief does not support either party in the case, but urges the Court to reject a Third Circuit ruling preventing schools from taking action to address students’ off-campus speech or expressive conduct even where it has substantial in-school impacts, arguing that such a rule undermines state anti-bullying laws. In Massachusetts, the law, like laws in dozens of other states, requires schools to address disruptive in-person and online bullying even where it originates off-campus, so long as the bullying has substantial in-school impacts. The coalition encourages the Court to uphold an existing legal standard, which empowers schools to regulate speech that substantially disrupts school or interferes with other students’ rights at school.
For total shitbags like Healey, it is not about bullying or the children, it's all about control

Back
Top Bottom