Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an updated list.

Thanks for all the input. I too borrowed here and there. Rod-Tel had a pretty good base that I worked on. I did not write all of these, most are copied from within here or were sent to me. Thanks for everyone helping out - let me know who you are and I will give you credit.

Note - I am trying to remove "she" and "her" because I am dealing with liberal reps... I am pushing where I can the power overreach issue rather than the gun issue. If reps care about one thing, it's staying in power...

Your reps probably don't care about guns, know that. If your rep is a Democrat, know their game and beat them at it. Don't get all "huurr duurr, dey took our guns!", they are going to yup you. All they do care about their power and staying in office under the cushy golden dome sucking on the tax payer teet. As I said above, the AG isn't to change law, yet she did. By adding words to existing law, through decree, she has taken power from your reps.

Know this and use this as an angle rather than the gun angle. Say, "It is not about guns, it is about the legislative process. You are my representative and law must come from you. The AG has gone around you and usurped your power as an elected official". The ONLY thing your reps do care about is power, remember that. Say that you voted for them, lie if you must, but if they stand on the wrong side of this you will not forget come next election.

Talking points for the phone -

• The AG set a dangerous precedent, an overreach that seeks to redefine two decades of case law and understanding of both the Mass and Federal AWB (as laid out by Calsdad earlier in the thread)
  • What is to stop another AG from closing the "Abortion is not Murder Loophole" in another state using the precedent as justification
  • The AG does not get to decide what is moral and change the interpretation of a law on a whim, no matter the justification (the ends does not justify the means under the rule of law)
  • Even if it gets overturned in court, women in the state could be denied their right to health care in the meantime
  • This is not about guns!
  • The AG is reinterpreting the established law in a a fashion that violates both the state and federal constitution.
  • The AG is over reaching the powers and responsibilities of the office.
  • The AG's actions are obviating the legislature, usurping their authority on the issue.
  • The existing law is clear and it's interpretation has been agreed upon by all parties for many years (since 1994 federally and since 1998 in MA). The AG's "revised" interpretation is in violation of 18 and 22 years of precedent.
  • The AG explicitly declared that all gun owners in the state are currently committing felonies, and that we are not being brought up on charges en-mass on the basis of her "prosecutorial discretion". She also mad a point of the fact that she reserves the right to change her stance on this fact (or any part of the directive for that matter) in the future.

Example letters. Tweak them as you want.

I am writing this letter to express my concern regarding the overreach of the Attorney General, Maura Healey, regarding the re-interpretation of the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban. This re-interpretation has unilaterally banned firearms that have been legally sold and possessed by law-abiding citizens for over 20 years. Even more disturbing is that the AG has circumvented the Legislature and the legislative process entirely. This may be guns today but could be assembly and speech tomorrow.

The Attorney General’s is reinterpreting existing law and inserting language that does not exist. In particular, the words copy & duplicate as they appear in the definition of an Assault Weapon under Massachusetts General Law - Chapter 140 Section 121. This definition, in part, states “and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons [emphasis added], of any caliber, known as…” The Attorney General has unilaterally taken it upon herself to redefine the words copy & duplicate and has invented a “Similarity Test” as quoted below:

“Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.”

Nowhere in Massachusetts General Law is there a “Similarity Test”. This is an invented idea by the Attorney General which became edict on 07/20/16. This was done in the dark, the Legislators were not consulted, and there was no legislative process to add this “Similarity Test”. If the Legislature wanted a “Similarity Test” included in the law they would have included it when it was written. The circumvention of the legislative process by the Attorney General is alarming as it removes the power from you and your office and displaces trust in the legislative process.

This is a slippery slope and must be stopped immediately. The Attorney General is threatening criminal enforcement based on this re-interpretation. The threat to charge otherwise law-abiding citizens and/or business owners with felonies is looming. If this unconstitutional act is not reversed and the Attorney General punished, others will follow suit and one day we may not be able to write letters such as this, worship the god we choose, or assemble peaceably.

This move by the Attorney General is a clear over-reach of her authority. The Attorney General is attempting to re-write a statute. This circumvents the legislative process, makes our Legislators insignificant and will not stand constitutional muster. I urge you to oppose this illegal action by Maura Healey and remind her that the law-making authority falls to the Massachusetts Legislature, not to the Attorney General.

Respectfully,
john Doe

Dear Governor Baker,

I supported you, voted for you, and convinced many others to vote for you. I did this because I thought you stood for the people and the rule of law. I was shocked to see your support of the Attorney Generals overreach and obviation of power from the Legislature. This is not a gun issue, this is a law issue. This political stunt is unconstitutional usurps the authority of the legislature. Some 240 years ago we were subjects .. now that seems to be the case yet again.

I call upon you to reconsider you position on the Attorney General's fiat law change. It is your duty, your oath to defend the constitution, to stand beside your law abiding citizens and call for an immediate stay on this illegal action by Attorney General Healey. If you do not stand with your constituents, we will not stand with you. I hope that you are on the right side of this, if not we will remember during the 2018 Gubernatorial election.

Respectfully,
john Doe

Dear (rep's name, gov baker)

Attorney General Healey has decreed that the 22 year interpretation of our states “assault weapon” ban has been incorrect. She has put forth an unconstitutional ban on the sale and transfer of any firearm that operates in a similar manner to those which are banned. Her interpretation of our law, is not only unconstitutional, it puts thousands of Massachusetts residents at risk of becoming felons as almost all rifles operate in this manner. Healey explicitly declared all gun owners in the state to be felons, but that she simply chooses not to prosecute us right now. This is a gross overreach on the Attorney General's part which obviates the legislature. The previous law was clear and consumers as well as gun manufacturers have complied, and this is not what it says.

As a registered voter, I urge you to stand/act against this decree.

Respectfully,
john Doe

Mind if I use as an outline to send to my libtard anti gun representatives? I like how she describes the AG's overreach as setting a dangerous precedent as the main focus of the letter.

My wife wrote this one:

Governor Baker,

I am very concerned about your lack of action regarding Attorney General Maura Healey’s efforts to repress citizens’ rights. You know better than I do that an AG’s role is to serve as the protector of citizens’ legal rights and advise the legislative branch – not to rewrite laws without public input. The AG’s rewriting of Massachusetts’s gun law over steps the office’s role. Any changes to Massachusetts’s laws follow a procedure that involves public input. The AG ignored the state process and back doored her personal agenda into Massachusetts’s laws. A power grab such as this is dangerous to all citizens of Massachusetts. You even acknowledge that overnight she made thousands of law abiding citizens open to criminal charges. Again, the AG is supposed to protect citizen’s rights, not make us criminals – especially in such a sneaky, middle of the night, backdoor way.

I respectfully ask that you rebuke the AG’s power grab and demand the AG to change laws in accordance with the Massachusetts legislative process. If one, whether it be you, the AG, or a regular citizen feels the gun law, as written, is subjected to loose interpretation, then follow the appropriate process – one that demands public knowledge and input. All of us are in a vulnerable position when one branch of the government is not held in check.

go ahead - please do

Last edited:
FIFY

The Answer is Yes, Maura Healy just did that. It will take a Federal Court to rule her interpretation of the existing law as BS, or the Mass Legislature can somehow take up the matter and fix it.......We'll just have to wait and see.

The thing is, while dealers may have standing to challenge her "directive" (but we all saw how well that went with the LCI), as it relates to gun owners, it requires someone charged, and convicted, based upon her "interpretation". I put that in quotes because it is not an interpretation, but a creation. She states

The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal. Assault weapons prohibited under our laws cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts.

That is not an interpretation at all. She made that up all on her own, something she has no authority to do. Of course it is also meaningless to a gun owner (as opposed to dealer or someone wishing to buy or transfer one), because if you don't get charged and convicted, does it matter what she thinks? It's catch 22.

Yep, she's basically adding a bunch of new features that aren't in the law and calling them legal tests. This goes way beyond "interpretation."

By their own definition it's not an " Assault Weapon " or a copy. It doesn't have the ability to attach a flash hider considering a muzzle device is pinned and welded on. It doesn't have a telescoping stock seeing it's pinned. It doesn't have a bayonet lug , or the ability to attach a grenade launcher. By their own definition it's not a copy.

Exactly and exactly!

She created what I quoted above all on her own. And considering the law already includes what is esentially an outline of what makes a firearm a copy

existing law! said:
Definition of Semiautomatic Assault Weapon.
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
``(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
``(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath
the action of the weapon;
``(iii) a bayonet mount;
``(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to
accommodate a flash suppressor; and
``(v) a grenade launcher;
``(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
``(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol
outside of the pistol grip;
``(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel
extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
``(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or
completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter
to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being
burned;
``(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the
pistol is unloaded; and
``(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
``(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
``(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
``(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath
the action of the weapon;
``(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds;
and ``(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.''.

That is detailed and specific. She summarily ignored that. Not just ignored, but actually called part of the provisions "small tweaks that do nothing". Well, nothing besides determine if something is or isn't an "assault weapon", but of course she didn't say that, because it would DIRECTLY contradict her "interpretation".

Last edited:
The legislature will fail us. the courts will fail us. the ONLY way to win here is MASS NONCOMPLIANCE. We need dealers with balls to make that happen and we need PATRIOTS with balls to defend them.

The legislature will fail us. the courts will fail us. the ONLY way to win here is MASS NONCOMPLIANCE. We need dealers with balls to make that happen and we need PATRIOTS with balls to defend them.

MA article 7 and 8.

Article VII. Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity and happiness of the people; and not for the profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men: Therefore the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity and happiness require it.

Article VIII. In order to prevent those, who are vested with authority, from becoming oppressors, the people have a right, at such periods and in such manner as they shall establish by their frame of government, to cause their public officers to return to private life; and to fill up vacant places by certain and regular elections and appointments.

is it possible to get a stay on the entire AWB because she made the law even more vague?

We should push for an outright repeal of the law. Plain and simple. If this law allows for another tyrant to pull this crap again, then it needs IMMEDIATE repeal!

The thing is, while dealers may have standing to challenge her "directive" (but we all saw how well that went with the LCI), as it relates to gun owners, it requires someone charged, and convicted, based upon her "interpretation". I put that in quotes because it is not an interpretation, but a creation. She states

That is not an interpretation at all. She made that up all on her own, something she has no authority to do. Of course it is also meaningless to a gun owner (as opposed to dealer or someone wishing to sell or transfer one), because if you don't get charged and convicted, does it matter what she thinks? It's catch 22.

Exactly and exactly!

She created what I quoted above all on her own. And considering the law already includes what is esentially an outline of what makes a firearm a copy

That is detailed and specific. She summarily ignored that. Not just ignored, but actually called part of the provisions "small tweaks that do nothing". Well, nothing besides determine if something is or isn't an "assault weapon", but of course she didn't say that, because it would DIRECTLY contradict her "interpretation".

Based on this our ****ing AG (AND Governor) doesn't know how to read.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they will have to order more.

Is it me or does she resemble a Dr. Suess character?

Thing 1 or Thing 2?

I think they will have to order more.

Is it me or does she resemble a Dr. Suess character?

Like one of these characters?

seuss-japan-1.png

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-insider-interpretation-quot-of-AG-s-decision

Here is the response I got from Representative Paul Heroux (consolidated from multiple emails, I added the bold):

"The AG seems to be enforcing law that was not previously enforced. Now, there is legitimate debate about if she is interpreting the law correctly. I don't know.
Here is how I think this is going to play out. The legislature won't take any action on this. IF we gave the AG the authority to do what she is doing, I don't think undoing it would ever pass out of the Senate or even be put up for a vote in the House. So there is no relief there.
The courts are where this is likely to play out. I think that the NRA, GOAL and gun manufacturers are going to have their lawyers look this over at length. IF they feel that the AG has over stepped, they will seek relief in the state supreme court, and if not get it there, take it to the US Supreme Court.
That is how I see this in folding.
Aside from that, her intention is to decrease gun homicides. I don't think that this move will do anything. Even if these guns have been used in gun crimes in MA, it is so rare that gun homicide rates won't be affected. Also, criminals will just switch to another type of gun. So I don't think this is going to do anything much to enhance public safety.
Even if this comes up for a vote in the House, it won't be until at least Feb and it won't pass the Senate. The best hope for changing this is to win in the courts."

We should push for an outright repeal of the law. Plain and simple. If this law allows for another tyrant to pull this crap again, then it needs IMMEDIATE repeal!

And we can make the argument that Healy has conceded that we have been living without an effective AWB for 22 years since it only dealt with cosmetics.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-insider-interpretation-quot-of-AG-s-decision

Here is the response I got from Representative Paul Heroux (consolidated from multiple emails, I added the bold):

"The AG seems to be enforcing law that was not previously enforced. Now, there is legitimate debate about if she is interpreting the law correctly. I don't know.
Here is how I think this is going to play out. The legislature won't take any action on this. IF we gave the AG the authority to do what she is doing, I don't think undoing it would ever pass out of the Senate or even be put up for a vote in the House. So there is no relief there.
The courts are where this is likely to play out. I think that the NRA, GOAL and gun manufacturers are going to have their lawyers look this over at length. IF they feel that the AG has over stepped, they will seek relief in the state supreme court, and if not get it there, take it to the US Supreme Court.
Aside from that, her intention is to decrease gun homicides. I don't think that this move will do anything. Even if these guns have been used in gun crimes in MA, it is so rare that gun homicide rates won't be affected. Also, criminals will just switch to another type of gun. So I don't think this is going to do anything much to enhance public safety.
Even if this comes up for a vote in the House, it won't be until at least Feb and it won't pass the Senate. The best hope for changing this is to win in the courts."

THIS IS ****ING INFURIATING AND TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

MA article 7 and 8.
Article VIII. In order to prevent those, who are vested with authority, from becoming oppressors, the people have a right, at such periods and in such manner as they shall establish by their frame of government, to cause their public officers to return to private life; and to fill up vacant places by certain and regular elections and appointments.

somebody good with the petition sites should set one up calling for the Governor to begin proceedings for the removal of the AG under article 8 for bypassing legislature, taking on their authority, and unjustifiably threatening criminal prosecution where no illegal act has occurred.

ETA: "arbitrarily and capriciously reinterpreting long-standing and existing law at the cost of the legal citizens rights" may fit in there somewhere too - we need something with true legal teeth. - prolly need a citizen/lawyer to make the verbiage properly stick.

Last edited:
My response to Baker's boilerplate response:

Thank you for your pablum robo-response to my my inquiry. I voted for Governor Baker because I thought that he would actually live up to his oath to support the Constitution. If I wanted a Democrat in the office I would have voted for Martha. The AG has just declared that I (along with tens of thousands of others) am an unidicted felon, although I have faithfully followed the laws of the Commonwealth as they were interpreted at the the time. Please tell the governor to grow a backbone and denounce the AG's unprecedented usurpation of legislative authority immediately. I will weigh my vote carefully in the future.

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Thu, Jul 21, 2016 11:13 am
Subject: Governor Baker responding to your message

Dear David,
On behalf of Governor Charlie Baker, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the ban assault weapons ban. We understand your concern about this issue, and we are grateful to have your voice as part of the discussion.
Please feel free to contact our office in the future with any further questions or concerns; your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,

Constituent Services Aide
Office of Governor Charlie Baker
(617) 725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

somebody good with the petition sites should set one up calling for the Governor to begin proceedings for the removal of the AG under article 8 for bypassing legislature, taking on their authority, and unjustifiably threatening criminal prosecution where no illegal act has occurred.

Yes, great call. Anyone have a large format printer and able to print something up?

THIS IF ****ING INFURIATING AND TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

In my view everyone needs to step back and realize the reality here. Her actions likely won't hold up, but it will take time. Mass is not going to repeal its AWB, but there might be a window (given dissatisfaction on the part of legislators with the AG power grab) to modify it to some advantage, and at least to push back on her interpretation. It will take time. Obviously this is not something anyone wants to accept, but it is the cost of living in a place like Mass where every component of government and the the vast majority of the people are extremely anti-gun. It sucks, but to expect otherwise is to invite misery and frustration.

In my view everyone needs to step back and realize the reality here. Her actions likely won't hold up, but it will take time. Mass is not going to repeal its AWB, but there might be a window (given dissatisfaction on the part of legislators with the AG power grab) to modify it to some advantage, and at least to push back on her interpretation. It will take time. Obviously this is not something anyone wants to accept, but it is the cost of living in a place like Mass where every component of government and the the vast majority of the people are extremely anti-gun. It sucks, but to expect otherwise is to invite misery and frustration.

Too late. I am already miserable and frustrated on a regular basis. BUT THIS IS EXTREMELY INFURIATING. So, I am a felon until we run this to the Supreme Court!? BULLSHIT!

He seems to have his head on straight as that is as rational and informative response as I have seen yet. His analysis seems spot on. I changed the bold text to reflect what I find a rather important part in what makes her "directive", legal aspects aside, facially bogus. She is not stupid, and knows that to be true. Sadly courts have repeatedly ruled that the mere claim by the government that something is for "public safety" is good enough, even if evidence doesn't support their claim. See Michigan State Police v. Sitz

The Court of Appeals also erred in finding that the program failed the "effectiveness" part of the Brown test. This balancing factor -- which Brown actually describes as "the degree to which the seizure advances the public interest" -- was not meant to transfer from politically accountable officials to the courts the choice as to which among reasonable alternative law enforcement techniques should be employed to deal with a serious public danger. Moreover, the court mistakenly relied on Martinez-Fuerte, supra, and Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648, to provide a basis for its "effectiveness" review. Unlike Delaware v. Prouse, this case involves neither random stops nor a complete absence of empirical data indicating that the stops would be an effective means of promoting roadway safety. And there is no justification for a different conclusion here than in Martinez-Fuerte, where the ratio of illegal aliens detected to vehicles stopped was approximately .5 percent, as compared with the approximately 1.5 percent detection ratio in the one checkpoint conducted by Michigan and with the 1 percent ratio demonstrated by other States' experience.

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH AG PRESS SEC: Update on the mass.gov Q&A section due within the next hour to include info on guns purchased on Wednesday among other things!

Keep posted...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

somebody good with the petition sites should set one up calling for the Governor to begin proceedings for the removal of the AG under article 8 for bypassing legislature, taking on their authority, and unjustifiably threatening criminal prosecution where no illegal act has occurred...

The only procedures for removal of an elected official in Massachusetts are impeachment, which starts in the house, and waiting for the next election.

I haven't even read this through myself, but wanted to get it up ASAP

Mr. {removed},

We wanted to get back to you regarding your call yesterday asking about Representative Walsh's views of the Attorney General's action this week on assault weapons.

Below is the statement that the Attorney General released. Representative Walsh feels that it is going to take some time to resolve the question as to whether these actions are within the power of the Attorney General and we need to step back and see how that issue is resolved.

Thank you,
Julie Watt Faqir
Legislative Aide to Representative Chris Walsh

C:\Users\rcohen\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MEDIA CONTACT:
July 20, 2016 Press Office
(617) 727-2543

AG HEALEY ANNOUNCES ENFORCEMENT OF BAN ON COPYCAT ASSAULT WEAPONS
In the Wake of Orlando Mass Shooting, AG Healey Warns Gun Makers, Dealers Against Selling Prohibited Assault Weapons in Massachusetts; Clarifies What Constitutes a Copycat Weapon

BOSTON –– Attorney General Maura Healey today issued a notice to all gun sellers and manufacturers in Massachusetts, warning that her office is stepping up enforcement of the state’s assault weapons ban, including a crackdown on the sale of copycat weapons.

The enforcement notice clarifies what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon under the assault weapons ban. Copies or duplicates of banned assault rifles, including copies of the Colt AR-15 and the Kalishnikov AK-47, are prohibited by the Massachusetts assault weapons ban. Despite the law, an estimated 10,000 copycat assault weapons were sold in Massachusetts last year alone.
“The gun industry has openly defied our laws here in Massachusetts for nearly two decades,” said AG Healey. “That ends today. We have a moral and legal responsibility to ensure that combat-style weapons are off our streets and out of the hands of those who would use them to kill innocent people. Increasingly, these guns are the weapon of choice for mass shooters, and we will do everything we can to prevent the kinds of tragedies here that have occurred in places like Orlando, San Bernardino, Newtown and Aurora.”

The Massachusetts assault weapons ban mirrors the federal ban that expired in 2004. It prohibits the sale of specific and name-brand weapons and explicitly bans copies or duplicates of those weapons. Gun manufacturers, however, make and market what they call “state compliant” versions with minor tweaks to various parts of the weapon. Copycat guns are sold, for example, without a flash suppressor or with a fixed instead of folding stock. These changes do not make the weapon any less lethal and the weapons remain illegal.

The AG’s notice clarifies what constitutes a copy or duplicate weapon by outlining two tests. Under the tests, a weapon is a copy or duplicate if its internal operating system is essentially the same as those of a specifically-banned weapon or if the gun has key functional components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon.

The notice also states that assault weapons prohibited under state law, as manufactured, cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts.

The notice makes clear that the guidance will not be enforced against gun owners who bought or sold these weapons prior to July 20, 2016. Dealers who currently have these weapons on hand are not permitted to sell them to Massachusetts buyers. They may transfer them out-of-state to jurisdictions where sales of these weapons are legal. The AG’s office expects substantial cooperation from gun sellers and will work to ensure that they understand and comply with the law.

Today’s action is one more step in the AG’s effort to reduce gun violence in Massachusetts. Last year, AG Healey issued a notice to all 350 state gun dealers reminding them of their obligations under state law. Earlier this year, she led a multi-state effort urging Congress to lift the ban on gun-violence research by the Centers for Disease Control and is working with medical professionals to help develop guidelines for physicians to speak to their patients about guns in the home. AG Healey continues to investigate violations of the gun laws statewide.

####

Supporter Statements

Chief William G. Brooks III, President, Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association
“It is important to understand that today's enforcement notice from Attorney General Healey is not new law, nor a new set of regulations. The Commonwealth's assault weapon statute has been in place for many years. To her credit, she has chosen to remind gun shops of the law's provisions prior to conducting inspections. Massachusetts has a reputation for strong gun laws. One reason is that police chiefs are responsible for issuing firearms licenses, and the law permits them to exercise their judgment in determining which applicants may not be suitable. In day-to-day application, police chiefs take their responsibilities very seriously and the vast majority of gun license applications are granted. A second reason our gun laws are effective is that gun shop owners scrupulously abide by state and federal law. This is why I believe today's enforcement notice will be well received by gun shop owners. The gun shop owners I have met are trustworthy business people who recognize their valuable role in violence prevention.”

Congresswoman Katherine Clark
“There are a number of common sense measures we can take on the federal and state level to address gun violence and keep our communities safe. Thanks to Attorney General Healey’s leadership, the implementation of two new evaluation tests will help close a dangerous loophole that allows gun manufacturers to produce and sell assault-style replicas and will prevent new sales of illegal assault weapons in Massachusetts.”

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans
"These types of assault weapons have no place on our streets. We have tough gun laws in our state, and this notice will make them even tougher. I applaud AG Healey and her efforts to help make our state and all our cities safer."

Congressman Joe Kennedy III
“Whether in Sandy Hook or Orlando, our country knows far too well that weapons designed to inflict maximum harm do not discriminate by age, gender or race when aimed at large groups of innocent people. Both our federal and state governments have a responsibility to keep our communities safe, and we must do more to ensure these deadly weapons remain far from dangerous hands. I thank Attorney General Healey for her leadership here at home and will continue to echo her calls for action in Congress.”

Chief Brian Kyes, President, Massachusetts Major City Chiefs
“Based on the emerging trends of gun violence across our nation, anything that we can do here in the Commonwealth to close any existing state law loopholes is looked upon as a positive step in enhancing public safety. Preventing these assault-type weapons from potentially getting into the wrong hands has the support of the Massachusetts Major City Police Chiefs Association.”

Liam Lowney, Executive Director of the MA Office for Victim Assistance. Liam’s sister, Shannon Lowney, was killed by someone using an assault weapon.
“The loss of a family member to gun violence is forever. Surviving family members often define our families as the one that existed before and after our loved ones were taken. It is essential that our leaders ensure that families in our communities remain intact and safe from assault weapons. I am grateful to Attorney General Healey for enforcing the ban on Assault Weapons that so many of us impacted by violence have worked to achieve.”

Jack McDevitt, Associate Dean and Director of the Institute on Race and Justice at Northeastern University
“With this Enforcement Notice attorney General Maura Healey is closing a loophole that has allowed individuals to circumvent the intent of our state’s assault weapons ban. In this time of violence and fear across our country, this initiative will make the citizens of the Commonwealth safer.”

Congressman Seth Moulton
“Massachusetts has always been a leader on gun violence prevention, and I commend Attorney General Healey for her efforts make sure that gun manufacturers and dealers comply with the spirit of the Commonwealth's assault weapons ban. This is an important step to keep weapons of war off our streets. We need this kind of leadership in states across the country.”

Po Murray, Chairman, Newtown Action Alliance
“As a resident of Sandy Hook and a neighbor of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter, I know firsthand how one gunman with one semiautomatic military-style assault weapon can devastate 26 families, 27,000 community members and 300 million Americans. The human cost of allowing civilians to acquire weapons of war is far too high and millions and millions of dollars have been spent on physical, structural and emotional recovery of our community. It is not surprising that the profit-driven gun makers are attempting to circumvent the assault weapons ban by manufacturing copies or duplicates of banned weapons. As the number of households with guns dwindles, the gun industry thrives on the sale of these weapons of war. As a concerned neighbor of Massachusetts, we applaud Attorney General Maura Healey, for taking bold action to enforce the Massachusetts ban on assault weapons, to protect all citizens near and far.”

John Rosenthal, founder of Stop Handgun Violence
“As the lead advocate for the 2004 permanent ban on assault weapons in the Commonwealth, signed into law by Gov. Mitt Romney, it was clearly the intent to include all military style rifles and pistols that met certain conditions, regardless of the make or brand. It makes no sense that the current assault weapons ban includes the Colt AR 15 but not the Bushmaster and Smith and Wesson AR 15s (used at Sandy Hook, CT and Aurora, CO, to name a few) which are virtually the same weapon, with a different name and simply made and marketed by the gun industry to evade the strict intent of the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban. I enthusiastically applaud and thank Attorney General Healey for her critical public safety and life-saving leadership.”

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan
“In Middlesex County we know too well the tragedy that can be inflicted by assault weapons. In December of 2000 Michael McDermott used an AK-47, one of the most widely copied rifles in the world, to murder seven innocent people in their workplace. The guidance issued today by Attorney General Healey is an important reminder about the existing assault weapons ban and goes an important step further calling attention to the equally deadly and dangerous function of weapons that are manufactured to duplicate these banned weapons.”

Josh Sugarmann, Executive Director of Violence Policy Center
“I appreciate the opportunity to stand here today in strong support of the Attorney General’s actions and to applaud the leadership that Massachusetts has, once again, shown in working to reduce gun violence. Assault weapons are military-bred, anti-personnel weapons designed to kill as many people as possible in as short an amount of time as available. And just in the past five weeks, from Orlando, to Dallas, and most recently Baton Rouge, we’ve seen the horrific damage these weapons of war can inflict when they are used for the exact purpose for which they were designed. In 2014, the most recent year for which information is available, Violence Policy Center research revealed that one out of five law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty were killed with an assault weapon. And yet the gun industry constantly works to find ways around the few assault weapons laws that are already on the books – making actions like those announced today crucial to protect public safety. Today’s action helps ensure the future safety of Massachusetts citizens.”

####

My response to Baker's boilerplate response:

Thank you for your pablum robo-response to my my inquiry. I voted for Governor Baker because I thought that he would actually live up to his oath to support the Constitution. If I wanted a Democrat in the office I would have voted for Martha. The AG has just declared that I (along with tens of thousands of others) am an unidicted felon, although I have faithfully followed the laws of the Commonwealth as they were interpreted at the the time. Please tell the governor to grow a backbone and denounce the AG's unprecedented usurpation of legislative authority immediately. I will weigh my vote carefully in the future.

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Thu, Jul 21, 2016 11:13 am
Subject: Governor Baker responding to your message

Dear David,
On behalf of Governor Charlie Baker, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the ban assault weapons ban. We understand your concern about this issue, and we are grateful to have your voice as part of the discussion.
Please feel free to contact our office in the future with any further questions or concerns; your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,

Constituent Services Aide
Office of Governor Charlie Baker
(617) 725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

I hope you don't mind, but I copied your message and sent it to verbatim to my boiler plate response from the Governor. Two can play at that game.

Too late. I am already miserable and frustrated on a regular basis. BUT THIS IS EXTREMELY INFURIATING. So, I am a felon until we run this to the Supreme Court!? BULLSHIT!

It's Mass. The reality is stark. I'm not directing this at you, but I'm reading here a lot of attempts at clever arguments, alternative interpretations, etc. -- things like "so now I can unpin my stock" or whatever. The thing to accept, as much as it sucks, is that anyone with an evil black rifle is going to be in significant trouble if they end up in front of a Mass judge and jury. Being right won't matter, even if the law is on your side. So, do you want to take the risk of owning such a rifle in Mass? That's the decision, and the risk of that decision is not going away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom