• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm stuck in a meeting at 11. If anyone has a way to capture the stream and share with us later I would be most grateful

Hasn't even aired yet, but I can tell you the outcome already:

Either:
1. Support for the AGs interpretation, couched in some wishy-washy bullshit about how he doesn't have the authority to override her even if he wanted to

or

2. All calls on the subject will be screened out and it won't come up at all

There are several categories that need to be determined:

1. SBRs for which Form 4s are in progress, and are already at the MA dealer.

2. SBRs at the MA dealer that are fully paid, but the Form 4 has not been initiated.

3. New to MA SBRs, not yet paid for or delivered.

4. Since Form 1 is "manufacture", the AG might tell the ATF that a Form 1 would be in violation of MGL. It is not, however, manufacture of a new gun under state law, so it should be OK. But, that's what we thought about pre-ban AWs.

The AG has a offered to "assist" dealers. I have asked my dealer to contact the AG and find out her position regarding Form 4 transfer of SRBs that are fully paid at the dealer, but not yet approved for transfer by the feds.

Seems like the question is not whether the barrels is short of not - the question is what is the action of that rifle?

That's what this edict seems to be attacking. She's calling them "copies".

Show me how this would exclude an AR with a 10" barrel.

I got right through to the Governors office, Moores office, and Muradians office, Fattman went to voice mail, to voice my opionion on this mess. If anyone is looking to call. Governors aid said she did not put out the statement of support that was posted, if you believe her or if she even knows. But looks like calls can get through right now.

And, if you become "suspected" of doing this, remember that the firing pin; extractor markings; breechface markings and.or chamber markings can be positively matched to your gun or other brass in your possession.

This has bad idea written all over it.

Martin Luther King understood this. He certainly did not use only those tools that were provided to legally express discontent such as writing his congressman.

He didn't specifically say he was going to use HIS brass.....

Healy "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Hasn't even aired yet, but I can tell you the outcome already:

Either:
1. Support for the AGs interpretation, couched in some wishy-washy bullshit about how he doesn't have the authority to override her even if he wanted to

or

2. All calls on the subject will be screened out and it won't come up at all

Call and say you want to thank him for his support and signature of the transgender bathroom bill, should get you right on. Then blast him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry but this is idiotic. Why on earth would they want to create a bunch of felons out of otherwise law abiding citizens?? This makes no sense whatsoever. You seriously think they said 'lets tell the gun stores its ok to sell what they have today so we can prosecute all the rubes who run out and buy one once I give the press conference'? It is a completely ridiculous premise with no logical thought behind it. What do they stand to gain by doing that?

Scare tactic to spur surrender.

"Sir, we know you have X rifles that are illegal under the MA AWB. If you surrender them to your local PD by close of business tomorrow, we shall consider the matter closed. Otherwise, you will be subject to prosecution, with penalties ranging from Y to Z for each firearm."

They get lots of evil guns off the streets, and those who don't comply will go on a different list.

I'm sure he is betting on all of the moonbat voters he could potentially pick up with his support of this crap to replace all of us.
He will surely learn however that you cannot out-democrat a democrat. Sorry Charlie, One and done.

He's betting that the Republican sheep, even most of the gun owners, will vote "lesser of two evils" when the next election is between him and Healey. And he's right.

Putting aside the fact that Baker may choose not to touch this issue couldn't he in theory just instruct police not to enforce and tell FFL's to ignore the ruling?

You asked for this article form today's Globe:

By Michael Levenson GLOBE STAFF JULY 20, 2016
Gun buyers raced to snap up military-style weapons on Wednesday as Attorney General Maura Healey moved to bar the sale of rifles that have been altered slightly to evade the state’s assault weapon ban.

“Because of this, we’re extremely busy,” said a sales associate at GFA ArmsTec, a gun shop in Natick, who added that she had to hang up to handle the crush of customers rushing to buy the assault rifles banned under Healey’s order.

Mass Firearms School in Holliston went so far as to extend its hours to 11:59 p.m. to accommodate gun enthusiasts who were anxious to make a final purchase.

“Today is your LAST DAY to purchase a semi-automatic rifle in Massachusetts!” the store wrote in an e-mail blast to its customers.
The stores were responding to an order Healey issued to the state’s 350 gun dealers telling them to immediately stop selling “duplicate” versions of common assault rifles like the AR-15, which she argues are illegal under the state’s 1998 assault weapons ban.

The law bans duplicate weapons but has left it to gun manufacturers to define which weapons would fall into that category.

Manufacturers exploited that “loophole,” she said, to produce assault rifles that had “small tweaks” but were functionally identical to the banned weapons. Some, for example, had no flash suppressor or featured a fixed instead of a folding stock.

Last year alone, she said, 10,000 of the assault rifles — often marketed as “state compliant” — were sold in Massachusetts.
She said the directive clarifies that duplicate guns are those that have internal operating systems that are essentially the same as illegal assault weapons, or have key functional components that are interchangeable with those of banned weapons.

“My office’s actions today will give us the full protection of the state assault weapons ban, to do what it was intended to do, and not leave it to the gun manufacturers’ self-appointed interpretation,” Healey said at a press conference with police chiefs, prosecutors, black clergy, antiviolence activists, and relatives of gun violence victims. “The gun industry doesn’t get to decide what’s compliant. We do.”

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners Action League, the state affiliate of the National Rifle Association, said his office was flooded with calls from gun store owners who were blindsided by Healey’s ban, which she announced in an opinion piece published in Wednesday’s Globe.

“It’s a political stunt,” Wallace said. “Unfortunately, it’s a political stunt with a lot of ramifications that we’re trying to figure out and trying [to] work through.”
He noted the directive was crafted without input from gun dealers, owners, or manufacturers.
“We’ve understood the rules for almost 20 years now,” he said, “and now we have one person who has come in, unilaterally, and said those are not the rules anymore.”

Healey said she hoped to work cooperatively with gun stores to enforce the ban. And although she said the order took effect immediately, her office indicated it would not crack down on gun dealers who sold the weapons on Wednesday.

Still, Healey’s office said vendors who continue to violate the ban could face fines, the loss of their dealers’ licenses, or prison time.
She said no action would be taken against individuals who bought duplicate assault rifles prior to her order.

She described the ban as a response to the use of assault rifles in the mass shootings in Orlando; San Bernardino, Calif,; Aurora, Colo.; and Newtown, Conn., as well the attack that killed three law enforcement officers in Baton Rouge on Sunday. Still, she said, a broader solution to the problem of gun violence will require action by Congress.

“It is a step,” said Healey, a Democrat. “It is not a total panacea, and I recognize that.”

Governor Charlie Baker, a Republican, indicated his support for Healey’s ban.
“Governor Baker supports the Commonwealth’s assault weapons ban, believes our comprehensive state gun laws work well in protecting the people of Massachusetts, and believes that the attorney general has the authority to enforce the law to crack down on the sale of guns that skirt the assault weapons ban,” said Billy Pitman, the governor’s press secretary.

Gun shop owners said they were scrambling to respond to the directive, which they learned about only Wednesday morning.
“Like everybody else in the state, we have called to find out what this is all about, and what we should be doing, and what our rights are as a retail store,” said Alicia Merritt, co-owner of Pullman Arms in Worcester, which sells several of the rifles banned under Healey’s order. “We’re not going to do anything illegal, if that is what the current law says.”

A spokeswoman for Smith & Wesson, the Springfield gun manufacturer that markets several “Massachusetts compliant” assault rifles, did not respond to a request for comment.
David Johndrow, a sales clerk at Holliston Firearms, which has sold “state compliant” assault rifles, said the ban might push sales of those guns to the black market.

“My suspicion is that will heat up a little,” he said. “But that’s always been the case. I think the real answer here is the FBI doing a better job at what they’re supposed to be doing — which is background checks.”

Boston’s police commissioner, William B. Evans, who was at Healey’s press conference, said the majority of gun violence in the city involves handguns, although his officers take about a dozen slightly modified assault weapons off the streets every year.
“We’re not dealing a lot with them, but they are out there,” he said. “If we reach one manufacturer from pumping these guns out, I think it’s well worth it.”

Michael Levenson can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @mlevenson.

Last edited:
And, if you become "suspected" of doing this, remember that the firing pin; extractor markings; breechface markings and.or chamber markings can be positively matched to your gun or other brass in your possession.

Martin Luther King understood this. He certainly did not use only those tools that were provided to legally express discontent such as writing his congressman.

Hey, who's that guy wearing latex gloves picking up spent cases at the range?

Thats why you use random range brass, particularly from ranges where cops shoot. The primers can also be defaced with a punch.

Think just a little bit out of the box will ya?

The only way this would work is if literally every single shop came together and took legal action as one entity. Asking one or two shops to do it alone is a tall order.

I think Comm2A is still the way to go (aside from torches and pitchforks - which I would not discourage). Let them find someone willing to buck this BS and provide them with legal counsel.

Some little "Twirp" in the governors office telling me she is just enforcing the existing law. So I said then your telling me that the AG's for the last 20 years failed in their responsibility to do that? Idiots

Is there a way I can listen to this on a android app?
Saw this on Facebook:

Governor Baker will be on WGBH "Ask the Governor" TODAY (7/21) at 11am. This is a good opportunity to publicly speak with him regarding the Attorney General's actions yesterday.

That's 11am guys.
Phone number is 877-301-8970

Didn't think I had to mention that - seriously - how dense are people anyway?

Kinda funny you bring up this brass thing, reminds me of those kids from a few years ago trolling the shit out of school admin types by liberally sprinkling brass around in school bathrooms, etc. Once it went out somewhere that they evaced a school over some brass, kids saw this on TV news and started doing it all over the place.... [rofl]

He's trying to prevent his lead levels from increasing.

Do you really think it would be given a second thought?

Do you really think that any state forensic lab is going to process thousands of pieces of brass to be led on a wild goose chase? I wholeheartedly doubt it.
Besides, where would they even start given that tens of thousands of guns have no reference point in any data base.

n3gy9k-sshootingrange0228afdbbinary1507331.jpg

You don't have any brass that's never passed thru any rifles you own?

I have a bunch of it.

And to even do what you're talking about - first they have to know YOU left the brass.

But seriously - this is why I think we're just going to lose all our gun rights.

Bring up a very simple thing to screw with the system - and all I hear is excuses about how it will never work.

Lefties do this kind of shit CONSTANTLY to bring the system down and put in their own way of doing things. Propose this kind of stuff to the "right" - and they just sit there and bitch about how it will never work.

There is one thing that reading thru this entire thread has given me: and that's the final hard realization that we're well and truly screwed. I don't see anything but bitching and whining here. Let's go protest! Yeah right - that won't do shit.

I told the wife about this when I picked her up from work yesterday - explained that the AG just made me into a felon, and told her that it might finally be time to move to NH. She refuses to go. It might be time to ditch her too.

I've been of the opinion that it's better to fight than run for a long time. I'm not so sure any more. You don't fight shit like this by bitching and whining and calling your representative. This is revolutionary level shit that just went down. It's time for active civil disobedience and subversion of the system.

Yet all I hear is excuses. People simply can't bring themselves around to realizing how bad things are.

I'm not sure I give a shit that much any more - I should concentrate on just covering my own ass and let the rest of the idiots burn up in the shit-show they created.

Just saw a report on NECN from FS parking lot. Obviously the line was out the door. Showed people walking out with both SnW and Ruger boxes. Some people bought one of each. The reporter stated that dealers still left with stock can sell it to dealers in free states. They said that FS sold out.

Holy ship. You guys were busy overnight. 2666 posts. The change.org petition that I signed at about 7 with 7000 signatures is up over 12,000 signatures.

Keep it up. Gotta believe that old Charlie is feeling a little heat. But I don't see him helping us. This is going to court. Which means someone is going to have to be brave enough to violate this and get slapped by Muarrrahhh.

I know it would be expensive, but Smith and Wesson should move all operations out of this shiathole of a state.

The best thing we can do right now is get organized and figure out how, as a community, we're going to respond to this.

We're all angry right now but it's misdirected. We have to channel it into a concentrated effort.

Thats why you use random range brass, particularly from ranges where cops shoot. The primers can also be defaced with a punch.

Think just a little bit out of the box will ya?

This is why we're screwed. People just refuse to take REAL action.

The people who founded this country would know goddam well what I'm talking about.

I know we are all calling our reps, senators, and the governor, but what is it we are asking them to do and what authority do they have over Healey? Are we asking them to actually create law around this? Is this not opening up a can of worms? Perhaps this was Healey's goal in the first place: get us to push for legislation on 'gun violence'.

We will be so happy to keep our 10-22s and give up our ARs as a 'reasonable compromise.'

It's a very good question.

Blocking the passage of legislation to support her actions is realistic. Passing a law to actively oppose her actions is going to be very difficult in this state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom