• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I read things too quickly, lowers are still good?

Doesn't sound .like it...
Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is the same as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver will be treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weapon if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine port.

From the "enforcement letter":

Application of this Enforcement Notice (dealers licensed under G.L. c. 140, § 122):
The Guidance will not be applied to future possession, ownership or transfer of Assault weapons by dealers, provided that the dealer has written evidence that the weapons were transferred to the dealer in the Commonwealth prior to July 20, 2016, and provided further that a transfer made after July 20, 2016, if any, is made to persons or businesses in states where such weapons are legal.

Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):
The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.

"Prior to July 20, 2016" was yesterday. I'm not seeing anything that indicates that the AG's office isn't going to after dealers and purchasers who participate in transfers today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comm2A just tweeted asking for folks to call the governor's office and tell him to veto Healey's directive. You can reach the office at 617-725-4005. Or (must be in state) 888-870-7770.

I just called, the aid told me that baker will be addressing this, whatever that means?

Nothing yet on Four Seasons or R&R Facebook pages. I'm interested in how they'll react.

Four Seasons sent out an email:

"It is our understanding that today is the last day that we can sell S&W Sport II and Ruger AR-556 rifles in MA. "

We have both in stock.

"This guidance shall not be applied to possession, ownership, or transfer of an assault weapon obtained before July 20, 2016"
This says to me that we are grandfathered and can still trade ARs on the secondary market...

it also references dealers..."transfers made AFTER 20 Jul 2016, be made outside the state" buy you AR today folks!

As someone stated before, what about someone who completed an assembly and is still within the 7 days registration period?

what about firearms that were never FA10 because they were in possession when you moved into the state?

asking for a friend who just moved here...

Holy shit. This seems to outlaw semiauto pistols.

A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate and is therefore a prohibited Assault weapon if it meets one orboth of the following tests and is 1) a semiautomatic rifle or handgun that was manufactured orsubsequently configured with an ability to accept a detachable magazine, or 2) a semiautomaticshotgun.31. Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components aresubstantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an EnumeratedWeapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operatingsystem and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantiallysimilar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.3 A weapon is not a Copy or Duplicate under this Guidance if it meets one or more of the exceptions ((i)-(vii))contained in the statutory definition of Assault weapon in Section 121.42. Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is thesame as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver willbe treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weaponif it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as orinterchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components mayinclude, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carriergroup; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazineport.If a weapon meets one of the above tests, it is a Copy or Duplicate (and therefore a prohibitedAssault weapon), even if it is marketed as “state compliant” or “Massachusetts compliant.”The fact that a weapon is or has been marketed by the manufacturer on the basis that it is thesame as or substantially similar to one or more Enumerated Weapons will be relevant toidentifying whether the weapon is a Copy or Duplicate (and therefore a prohibited Assaultweapon) under the applicable test(s).

Doesn't this contradict the "acceptable handgun" lists? I'm so confused!

what about firearms that were never FA10 because they were in possession when you moved into the state?

asking for a friend who just moved here...

it doesn't matter if FA-10 or not, if you possessed them after 1998 in this state ... felon

Again, this is from her answers to the press. They are not going after people who "possessed" "at this time" but she was very clear that it was a felony committed.

It looks like dealers can take time selling guns in their inventory, and that NFA weapons already in state can be transferred:

[FONT=&quot]Application of this Enforcement Notice (dealers licensed under G.L. c. 140, § 122): The Guidance will not be applied to future possession, ownership or transfer of Assault weapons by dealers, provided that the dealer has written evidence that the weapons were transferred to the dealer in the Commonwealth prior to July 20, 2016, and provided further that a transfer made after July 20, 2016, if any, is made to persons or businesses in states where such weapons are legal[/FONT]

No they didn't...the value in this state just dropped to zero. She stated in her press conference that the firearms in question are illegal and she won't be "going after owners". Can't transfer contraband...at least not legally.

That's disappointing to say the least. Wonder how many others will follow suit.

Edited to add: I think I just heard the value of my ARs jump considerably.

It is our understanding that today is the last day that we can sell S&W Sport II and Ruger AR-556 rifles in MA.

We have both in stock.

"From a gunshop email today."

So if you lived in a free state where an AR-15 was legal, such as Texas, and bought an AR-15 tomorrow, and then moved back to MA, are you going to be afoul of the law?

Maybe I missed this, but does anyone have any idea what happens if I have stripped lowers that I purchased months ago? Can those still be built without any issue>?

Next step, contact the reps, everyone and begin demanding her immediate resignation. SHE IS A TYRANT, and should be punished.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

For everyone about to panic buy, stop. Pick up the phone and make a stink to anyone that will listen.

As of today we are all felons without a law being passed. There's no need to panic buy, you are already a prohibited person by de facto law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom