Headspaced my first rifle

It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, watched a 2 minute video on youtube, bought the 222 Remington Finish Reamer, go gauge, no-go gauge, and a 3/8" driver extension, a few turns at a time and constant rechecking with the go gauge, and make sure the bolt doesn't fully close on the no-go gauge and I was good to go. I bought this Savage 340 used and the bolt wouldn't close very easily on a sized cartridge. And since the local gunsmith blew me off I decided to do it myself. And saved money!
reamer.jpg

Good job 204 over the past 20 years I have had to learn to do most gunsmithing myself for lack of any dependable or motivated smiths in my area. There are somethings I leave to the pros. A pull through finish job is not one I would say is a must for a gunsmith.
The complete reamer kit can be had for about 225$
I have a set up for 30-06 for when I do my garand barrels... Will be buying the 308 reamer for my 308 build.
Also when or if your done with the tools the resale is not to bad for the better tools.
You can also rent the tools.

It was a video by a reputable gunsmith, and I look forward to shooting it. You know.. kinda how you like shooting your mouth off?

That is very resourceful
Isn't youtube great? :)

I wish you luck shooting it now

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, $50 on ebay, as opposed to $160 new.

Nice. Did you really save money? [grin] Those reamers can be pricey.

- - - Updated - - -

What was the chambering before .222? Did you convert to .222 or just freshen up a current .222 chambering?

Freshened it up as you call it. It's really not a difficult job. Obviously by some of the comments in here some don't trust their own machinists skills. I did all that stuff in the Navy so it's a non issue to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Good job 204 over the past 20 years I have had to learn to do most gunsmithing myself for lack of any dependable or motivated smiths in my area. There are somethings I leave to the pros. A pull through finish job is not one I would say is a must for a gunsmith.
The complete reamer kit can be had for about 225$
I have a set up for 30-06 for when I do my garand barrels... Will be buying the 308 reamer for my 308 build.
Also when or if your done with the tools the resale is not to bad for the better tools.
You can also rent the tools.

I spent $130 for everything, and own the tools now as well.

It was a video by a reputable gunsmith, and I look forward to shooting it. You know.. kinda how you like shooting your mouth off?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, $50 on ebay, as opposed to $160 new.

- - - Updated - - -

Freshened it up as you call it. It's really not a difficult job. Obviously by some of the comments in here some don't trust their own machinists skills. I did all that stuff in the Navy so it's a non issue to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I spent $130 for everything, and own the tools now as well.

just for some info in the SE area of mass when I was kicking around building a M1a and needed a chamber finish reamed the 3 gun smiths i went to told me 100$ just for the labor, then i would need to buy the 308 finish reamer ( seems all three only had chamber cutter?) that they would keep on completion of the work. the fastest quoted turn around was 6 months!!

It was a compliment so ah, whatever
not everyone on this site is a know it all wise ass

It takes guts to tackle stuff like that with no experience and it looks like you succeeded, good going

It was a compliment so ah, whatever
not everyone on this site is a know it all wise ass

It takes guts to tackle stuff like that with no experience and it looks like you succeeded, good going

Sorry man, it looked like sarcasm. Going out this morning to put a few rounds through it, will report back on the accuracy. I put a Bushnell Elite mildot on top of it.

No way it will be accurate you messed it up.... SARCASM!
Looking forward to a range report.
The first rifle I ever brought back to life was a old Sears 22.... the bolt would not close.. found what looked like welding slag or casting flashing inside the receiver. How it left the factory???? Any how one of the better 5$ guns I ever bought.
Finally assembling my own M1 garand a while back I could not be more pleased and satisfied. The internet was a huge help in getting the old dog shooting like new again.

Back
Top Bottom