HeadSpace Swiss K-31?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I have checked Brownells, Midway and the headspace gauge mfrs lists of gauges. No such thing as 7.5x55 seems to exist.

So, how do I check headspace on my K-31?

I'm thinking of bringing it to the Pumpkin Shoot, but won't shoot any mil-surp without checking headspace first. Gun is cleaned up, but I still want to check it out before shooting it.

Any wisdom here?

k-31

i wrap any surplus military rifle that i get in a frag blanket
then attach a string to the trigger. i secure the rifle on a
sand bag and ---this is the exciting part---pull the trigger!

after if fires---sometime it don't---that's another post
i remove the shell case and check it out. it it looks good
i then put on the riot helmet with face shield and shoot it
without the frag blanket.

i'll admit to firing a few Mosin Nagants that would not pass
the headspace gauge.

i think the K-31 would be the safest rifle to shoot.

...Any wisdom here?
Not much.
The K31 is not one that I would worry about. I used to spend a lot of time on the Swiss rifle forums and don't ever recall hearing of anyone who found one with a headspace problem.

When I worked for a gunsmith, long ago, we would check headspace using a new factory cartridge and a disk cut from shim stock. Somewhere around .008 should be OK for a "no-go". You will want to remove the striker & spring as well as the extractor so that there is nothing to interfere with feeling for resistance. A dab of grease will hold the disk in place. Chamber the cartridge first without the disk to get a feel for the action. Even well equiped gunsmiths don't have headspace gauges for every caliber and this is a handy field expedient.

If the bolt and receiver numbers match, and the bolt lugs and seats pass a visual inspection, showing no signs of battering or setback, I would just shoot the gun and compare the first fired case with a new round for obvious deformation.

A Wilson case gauge and a fired case will give you much more useful information than a headspace gauge.

Jack

If the bolt and receiver numbers match, and the bolt lugs and seats pass a visual inspection, showing no signs of battering or setback, I would just shoot the gun and compare the first fired case with a new round for obvious deformation.

I agree. Its a very safe mechanism despite what some people say about straight pulls which by the way was mainly bought on by the Ross rifle stories.

Len, I seem to recall you don't accept PMs. Please SEND me a PM with an email address. I have some information that might be helpful to you.

Gary
I sent you an Email via NES. You can always Email me directly from one of my posts. PMs are max'd out and a PITA to deal with, so I turned them off.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom