headlamp recommendation?

headednorth

NES Member
Not necessarily a survival thing, but Id like to get my hands on a couple of decent quality headlamps for home and the truck. Durable, good quality, no odd ball batteries, adjustable...

thanks

The Fenix HL50 is my favorite general use headlamp. It is bright and light weight. It takes the CR123A lithium battery or a standard AA battery. The CR123A battery is much brighter and lighter. The CR123 battery is available just about everywhere as it is a standard camera battery. It is much cheaper to buy in bulk (10 pack). In bulk you can get them for a buck apiece or so.

If you create an account before you buy they will sent you a coupon for your first purchase.

Bob

FS_HL50__58612.1444840184.1280.1280__11990.1487974391.1280.1280__64291.1496247557.jpg

Fenix HL50 LED Headlamp

It depends on your budget and use case. I use black diamond. The key thing is to read The reviews for that particular model that you're interested in Even within manufacturers there's a wide variation of quality

The Fenix HL50 is my favorite general use headlamp. It is bright and light weight. It takes the CR123A lithium battery or a standard AA battery. The CR123A battery is much brighter and lighter. The CR123 battery is available just about everywhere as it is a standard camera battery. It is much cheaper to buy in bulk (10 pack). In bulk you can get them for a buck apiece or so.

If you create an account before you buy they will sent you a coupon for your first purchase.

Bob

Fenix are great - I like the HL60 for about $60 because it's rechargeable. I've bought three of them.

HomeDepot has some durable ones, which may be what you're looking for.

The cheap $5 Energizer ones are good too.

For camping, I have a black diamond headlamp which works well.

No matter what you do, make sure it's LED and takes common batteries (AA or AAA)

I use the Milwaukee micro usb rechargeable headlamps both at work and around the house. Spot, Spot/flood, hi, med, low flood. Runs ~8 hours on medium flood. They also make a non-rechargeable version without the spot feature for 2/3 the price of the rechargeable one if you'd rather.

I use my headlamp and my flashlight way too much for them to not be rechargeable. I'd be bankrupt buying batteries.

I'd have been a third vote for Fenix but my beloved HM50R stopped working out of the blue a few months back. Going to see how their warranty process works out.

I have an energizer, and another name brand I can't recall. the free one I got at harbor freight when I was there buying a tarp has worked well. uses normal batteries and lights up my back porch and grill sufficiently for my needs during the winter when Im grilling. .02

cheers

I picked up one off wish just to try out. For less than $20 it really wouldn't have hurt my feelings if it was crap. But I was pleasantly surprised.

It's stupid bright, batteries last a long long time, and I didn't break it at the mine, or working as an industrial electrician. (yet)

The last 3-4 years I have been using a Quantum LED head lamp sold at Harbor Freight. It is a very durable, cheap headlamp. The normal price is $15. but it is often on sale for $11. It has a high, low and strobe beam, it also has an adjustable lens to change from spot to flood or anywhere in between. It takes 3 AAA batteries.
It has a band that goes around your head and it also has one that goes over the top of your head to keep it from sagging down. The batteries are located on the back of your head.

Last edited:
I've been happy and satisfied buying Tactikka headlamps made by Petzl for a while. I hate to work in the dark with only one hand with the other hand holding a flashlight, or holding a flashlight in my armpits. So satisfying having 2 hands to work with in the dark AND have a flashlight.

Came here to say the same thing. I like the Petzl headlamp that I have and would recommend it.

Whatever lamp you get, make sure it has a "hard" power switch. The ones with the "soft" power switches that just toggle an input to the microchip drain the batteries down constantly, and they WILL LEAK. Otherwise, you'll need to take the batteries out whenever you are not using the lamp. And if they don't explode, you'll find yourself with dead batteries whenever you need the lamp.

Amazon product ASIN B01MZ2OP6PView: https://www.amazon.com/PETZL-TACTIKKA-Headlamp-lumens-Ultra-Compact/dp/B01MZ2OP6P

I've been happy and satisfied buying Tactikka headlamps made by Petzl for a while. I hate to work in the dark with only one hand with the other hand holding a flashlight, or holding a flashlight in my armpits. So satisfying having 2 hands to work with in the dark AND have a flashlight.

I had one of those, it died within 6 months of use. Replaced with a cheaper Energizer multipack head lamp, still going 2 years later.

I dont think I'll spend too much money on these things again.

Still no response from their CS. Not impressed.

I would expect that things are pretty crazy there with the Coronavirus.

I had one that was about 6 years old that I sent back to them for repair. The didn’t have the parts to repair it as it was outdated and they ended up sending me another flashlight.

There are a few things you can check:

Clean all contacts: inside the head, spring(s), tube ends and threads. (Rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip work fine or this)

Remove the tailcap and short the end of the battery with the end of the tube (a paper clip works just fine). If this works: use a pair of snap ring pliers to tighten the tailcap retainer ring (note that some are reverse threaded). There is also a retaining ring on the front of most flashlights as well to secure the driver to the head so do that one as well if it’s there.

The battery tube is part of the circuit so the mating surfaces need to be clean where the tube meets the end cap and battery tube. A little emery cloth and a few passes is all it takes.

Bob

I use a Princeton Tek "Fuel" headlamp. Small, light, AA battery, cost me $10 or so.

Back
Top Bottom