• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Head Shot on Bones (FOX Show)

How about a real Head Shot....

Credit to Steve Rodriguez, Marine sniper in Vietnam, former Albuquerque N.M. SWAT officer....

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that too, and thought it was the best, most graphic head shot I have ever seen - especially on a made for tv program. The whole ballistics part of the show was a bit of a stretch, but that scene was worth the price of admission. Of course, not 5 more minutes into the show, they find that half dissolved prostitute, which was probably even more graphic! That's the kind of thing that could give a kid nightmares for many years.

It was the back of his head...

A little back story on that shot.

That was actually the third shot... the dummy bank robber stood there and allowed him to get three chances.

Steve got the call and set up across from the bank.

He was given a green light to take the target down if the opportunity presented itself.

He was on the roof of a building that had a two foot wall above the roof line. Steve, a very accomplished shooter/sniper saw an opportunity to take the guy down and took a shot, but the guy just stood there. Steve thought he missed, so he chambered another round and took a second shot. Again, the guy just stood there and Steve thought he missed again. At the same time, he realized that the rounds were going into the wall in front of him. His scope cleared the wall so he could see the target, but the bore did not. So he grouped two shots in the two foot wall in front of him before he realized that he need to raise the weapon up so the round would clear the wall. This all happened in a matter of seconds.

At one point if you pay attention in that video and know what you are hearing/seeing, before the target is hit you can see/hear him say "get away." He did that after hearing the second shot. The dummy bank robber heard the two shots, but instead of going inside,, he stood there and allowed Steve the opportunity to correct himself. The third time was the charm -- and as you can see from that video he dropped the guy like a sack of potatoes.

It is true that the lady that was rescued,,, sued the APD for unnecessary pain and suffering,,, HAHA - what a sad world we live in.

Steve has a few kills as a LEO SWAT guy,,, years ago 60 minutes did a special on SWAT snipers and they talked about Steve. His other kill on the bridge is a thing of legend. The news article below talks about that one.

Great guy, I was lucky to meet him when the unit I was with was out his way for a Mobile Training Team for LEO SWAT guys. We didn't train Steve, he trained us.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/01/25/60II/main267184.shtml

Having missed twice, did the sniper at least consider that his next shot might hit the hostage?

I was thinking the same thing. Not taking anything away from his obvious skills, but wtf, 2 shots that he didn't know where they went? Maybe he was using those legendary ice bullets that just vaporize after an assassination.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom