• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

He Said Boy Didn't Die at Sandy Hook, Now Must Pay Boy's Dad

Coda

NES Member
OK so just to be clear I don't agree with any of this, either side. But I thought I would throw it up here because it looks like all of this really did happen.

(Newser) – A jury in Wisconsin has awarded $450,000 to the father of a boy killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting after he filed a defamation lawsuit against conspiracy theorist writers who claimed the massacre never happened. A Dane County jury on Tuesday decided the amount James Fetzer must pay Leonard Pozner, whose 6-year-old son Noah was among the 26 victims at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, on Dec. 14, 2012. Fetzer, a retired University of Minnesota Duluth professor now living in Wisconsin, and Mike Palacek co-wrote a book, Nobody Died at Sandy Hook, in which they claimed the Sandy Hook shooting never took place but was instead an event staged by the federal government as part of an Obama administration effort to enact tighter gun restrictions.

A judge earlier ruled Pozner was defamed by statements in the book that claimed he fabricated copies of his son's death certificate. Palacek reached a settlement with Pozner last month, terms of which were not disclosed. Fetzer called the damages amount reached by the jury Tuesday "absurd" and said he would appeal, the AP reports. Pozner has been pushing back for years against hoaxers who have harassed him, subjected him to death threats, and claimed that he was an actor and his son never existed. He has spent years getting Facebook and others to remove conspiracy videos and set up a website to debunk conspiracy theories. Others who lost relatives in the Newtown shooting have joined the fight lately after quietly enduring harassment and ridiculous assertions for years. (Read more Sandy Hook Elementary School stories.)

The author settled for $450k as opposed to the jury went and awarded $450k?

That would suggest the author HAS $450k to settle WITH.

Which suggests either he is already pretty well off or he earned MORE than $450k with his twaddle.

Hmmm.... [thinking]

Suddenly that whole Moon hoax thing is looking pretty good...

"The Man BEHIND the Moon (hoax)"
By N. Pipes
At better booksellers everywhere.

Has a ring to it, eh?

Now who can I blame that won't sue me? Was Al Gore around back then?

The amount was a "cuz guns" verdict.

The amount was because this insidious slander has ruined these people's lives. These conspiracy nuts have been harassing these people for years. The parents have had to move several times because nutcases that "know" these people are paid crisis actors have been showing up at their houses and sending death threats.

This isn't a 2A issue. There's no reason to kneejerk defend these conspiracy degenerates.

The amount was because this insidious slander has ruined these people's lives. These conspiracy nuts have been harassing these people for years. The parents have had to move several times because nutcases that "know" these people are paid crisis actors have been showing up at their houses and sending death threats.

This isn't a 2A issue. There's no reason to kneejerk defend these conspiracy degenerates.

Exactly. Some of these dingbats were posting addresses, residential and place of employment, and phone numbers of the victims’ parents.

Silly verdict. While nothing the whole conspiracy angle is BS, to me it infringes on his right to free speech. This Nutcase should be able to say and print what he wants as long as its not threatening IMHO

I haven't read his book, but if he accused the father by name of forging a death certificate (isn't that a crime), as is alleged, then it's going beyond free speech and getting well into defamation.

Silly verdict. While nothing the whole conspiracy angle is BS, to me it infringes on his right to free speech. This Nutcase should be able to say and print what he wants as long as its not threatening IMHO

No, it doesn't- the government didn't stop him from saying or publishing what he said.

It's also a part of the reason why Slander and Libel are civil, and not criminal, offenses. This is a tort issue, not a criminal one. So given all of this, a claim
of a 1A infringement is pretty retarded.

I do think, however, that this case likely ended up how it did "because sandy hook" memetics. Plenty of other people have brought slander and libel cases
under similar circumstances, and basically got told to go screw, but one could argue that's the way of the world, and you're not going to get
jurors that don't know what happened there, etc.

-Mike

I doubt any of those incidents, while awful, have anything to do with the awarded amount. Slander and Libel deals are usually pretty specific, and I doubt
this guys attorneys made this case fly on vague claims like that, but more like "these two idiots book cause me specific economic harm, and here is the
proof" etc. Unless you're telling us, that these two tinfoilers are essentially the root level of all SH conspiracy theories, but I find that hard to believe with
the amount of tinfoilers out there these days. I doubt these two retards were the only ones screaming about crisis actors and nonexistent victims.

ETA: another factor that is key- these two guys likely wrote the book to very clearly attempt to profit off of a lie that involved defaming someone else. That ends up being pretty compelling, legally.

-Mike

Who can I sue over this whole "Bible" nonsense? It's all lies...

You can sue anyone you want. But the fact that you consider the Bible to be lies doesn’t mean that it defames your character, particularly since the Bible doesn’t mention you. So that doesn’t parallel this case in any way.

If, on the other hand, someone wrote a book that named you and falsely claimed that you committed a crime, then you might have a case against that author.

Last edited:
450K is a bit much...but if my son was murdered and I had some f***stain like this guy running around saying my kid wasn't killed i'd want to f*** his life up. Best way to f*** someone's life up is to extract a painful sum of cash from them.

There's people on this very board, let's not forget, that think Sandy Hook was a false flag or didn't happen at all. I remember posts here about crisis actors. Pieces of shit, know who they are.

There are people who say similar things about 9/11. A colleague of mine died on AA flight 11. A colleague of my wife was at Logan Airport on 9/11 and saw Mohammed Atta and the other hijackers at the next gate — their demeanor caught his attention.

If people want to post their BS conspiracy theories, they can post them somewhere other than NES.

Back
Top Bottom