• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HD Shotgun recommendations?

LLF

NES Member
Looking for a 20 gauge shotgun for home defense. I am not a hunter or trap shooter. I kind of zeroed in on the Mossberg 590 Persuader. 6+1, 18.5" barrel, looks pretty simple and reliable. The only criticism I found was a problem with the lifter if the gun is dropped hard on its side. Since it will spend most of its time waiting quietly for antifa to invade my house I don't see that as a big issue.
However, before I take the plunge (they are hard to find and way overpriced right now) I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. Thank you.

For me, it came down to what I could afford, and what was available.

An 870 wing master with the right choke, a turkey barrel, flashlight, sling and extended mag tube.

Flashlight and good sling are not optional in my mind.

I like the mossberg 590, but the safety location isn't burned in my brain, like the remington safety.

Also, for $250, I have a 12 gauge tack driver with slugs. Trivial to fix, dirt simple. Reliable.

I just wish I had bought two!

Why 20 gauge?

What's available seems to be the deciding factor.

Went with a 12ga Radikal P3 Pump for $375, wanted a 12ga pump not semi would have liked a Mossberg or Remington instead but they weren't in stock. A 5+1 with 18.5" barrel, 3" chamber.

20's and 12's have very similar recoil,. it's a myth that women folk and children find them to have less recoil, as they usually are made to be lighter. Buy the first one you find, so that your needs are covered,... then spend the time it takes to find an 870 tactical or similar. Use target loads (half brass) if you find the recoil excessive.

Why 20 gauge?
Some of my friends who own shotguns had suggested 20 gauge. I guess for me it would be lower recoil and reduced "blast". If I ever had to use it in my home I wouldn't want to blow out too much plaster -- just enough to neutralize a threat.

The mossberg mavericks were way up close to 500, which is ridiculous. I recently saw one for 299 I think somewhere, so they are coming back down.
Pre pandemic you could find them sub 200.
From what I understand they are the pretty much the same as the Mossberg 500 series, with a few differences, and made in Mexico or something.
I like mine. Perfectly fine for home defense. I'm not a shotgunner either.
If you can find one, they do sell one with either 8+1 or 9+1 capacity.

Right now, any pump shotgun with an 18" or 20" cylinder bore barrel that you can find for MSRP or close to MSRP. Good luck. I prefer a Mossberg 500 or 590, 870's are fine too though. Forget 20 ga unless there is some reason you need the reduced recoil for wife or kid or something. There really isn't a huge difference in perceived recoil between 12ga and 20ga and 12ga ammo is easier to get and you'll have much more options for home defense ammo, including reduced recoil slugs and buckshot.

Right now, any pump shotgun with an 18" or 20" cylinder bore barrel that you can find for MSRP or close to MSRP. Good luck. I prefer a Mossberg 500 or 590, 870's are fine too though. Forget 20 ga unless there is some reason you need the reduced recoil for wife or kid or something. There really isn't a huge difference in perceived recoil between 12ga and 20ga and 12ga ammo is easier to get and you'll have much more options for home defense ammo, including reduced recoil slugs and buckshot.

I second this. I can run shells in my 12 ga which feel like a 20. Or I can run 000 Buck full strength.

20ga, if it falls into your lap, is fine.

If you're not going to shoot the gun much, get a semi-auto. Pumps are relatively easy for the inexperienced to short stroke and induce a malfunction. Pumps also take a fair amount of dry fire and loading practice to get good and fast with - someone who gets a lot of practice with a pump can be very fast, but most people don't.

There's also the issue of tube mags being painfully slow to reload.

For home defense only the Keltec KS7 looks pretty sweet. A friend of mine is looking for a 870 right now and is getting very frustrated. Best of luck finding something.

If you're not going to shoot the gun much, get a semi-auto. Pumps are relatively easy for the inexperienced to short stroke and induce a malfunction. Pumps also take a fair amount of dry fire and loading practice to get good and fast with - someone who gets a lot of practice with a pump can be very fast, but most people don't.

That's a very limiting factor in 20 gauge. That leaves what? Mossberg SA20 for something on the shorter side?
Agree otherwise. Even if you have the experience, if you have the budget to support it and the will to do maintenance, there's very little reason to go pump over semi.

That's a very limiting factor in 20 gauge. That leaves what? Mossberg SA20 for something on the shorter side?
Agree otherwise. Even if you have the experience, if you have the budget to support it and the will to do maintenance, there's very little reason to go pump over semi.

If tube fed is acceptable or preferable, Remington 1100. If mag fed is preferable, RIA just announced that they're coming out with a VR82, which is a VR80 but in 20.

This got me thinking....saw a couple Black Aces 12ga online recently. Not sure I'm interested, but did wonder something. They are both pump action, but mag fed. Does the pump action remove it from evil feature discussions? Reason I ask is because one has a pistol grip and a mag. I'm thinking it would remove it from that discussion, but I'm new to shotguns. They claim 50 states legal, but I'd like a second on that.

Pro-Series-M-Pump-in-Black.jpg
Pro-Series-Bullpup-Pump-Black-scaled.jpg

If tube fed is acceptable or preferable, Remington 1100. If mag fed is preferable, RIA just announced that they're coming out with a VR82, which is a VR80 but in 20.
I didn't even think to recommend the Remington 1100 because Remington, but as that goes, that doesn't mean older guns are bad.
Didn't even know about the VR82, that's kind of neat.
Current home size semis are a 1301 18.5" and a Benelli M1 20"
But those are both 12 gauge so not applicable.

@ReluctantDecoy
Manually operated firearms are exempt from the AWB.

20's and 12's have very similar recoil,. it's a myth that women folk and children find them to have less recoil, as they usually are made to be lighter. Buy the first one you find, so that your needs are covered,... then spend the time it takes to find an 870 tactical or similar. Use target loads (half brass) if you find the recoil excessive.
This. I've used both mossy 500 in 12 and 20 to hunt hare and rabbit. The difference in felt recoil in high brass hunting loads is negligible. For comparison high brass 12 gauge birdshot is generally 1 1/4 ounce payload......20 gauge high brass is 1 ounce payload. The lighter weight of the 20 gauge gun basically negatates any reduction in recoil of 1/4 ounces less payload.

Thank you for all the input.
I have been doing some homework:
• 12 gauge ammunition is indeed much more available than 20 gauge, and at better prices.
• Watched Hickock 45's video on the Mossberg 930 SPX. Shotgun had two failures to feed in roughly 40 rounds.
• I like the simplicity of a pump gun. I'm pretty sure I can learn how to use a pump properly. I actually have some 12 gauge dummy rounds I bought for a firearms safety class. Correct me if I'm wrong but pump vs semi-auto is like revolver vs pistol
• Mossberg 590s (Model # 50778) are going for almost 2X MSRP on Gunbroker right now. Ouch!

Simply put, recoil is a function of gun weight and payload. Lighter 20 gauge guns usually have more felt recoil than the heavier 12 gauge.

Far more ammunition options in 12 gauge.

I picked up a Beretta 1301 pro comp I know the Beretta A400 very well I practice loading it with practice rounds I do the same with pump shotgun there videos on how to keep it loaded and never run out of ammo in a shotgun:

Some of my friends who own shotguns had suggested 20 gauge. I guess for me it would be lower recoil and reduced "blast". If I ever had to use it in my home I wouldn't want to blow out too much plaster -- just enough to neutralize a threat.

No disrespect, but you probably want to adjust your mindset if plaster is one of your concerns in a home defense situation.

An AR pistol with a brace can be found easy and cheap as well.

If concern of recoil and its mitigation is super high you can always go with a mossberg, buy Osi clip from midway and run mini shells.

Last edited:
Tavor TS12 checks a lot of boxes -- semiauto bull pup 12 ga with three mag tubes for 15+1. Though already tough to find and legally gray in Mass, so some dealers won't touch it.

TS12.JPG

Thank you for all the input.
I have been doing some homework:
• 12 gauge ammunition is indeed much more available than 20 gauge, and at better prices.
• Watched Hickock 45's video on the Mossberg 930 SPX. Shotgun had two failures to feed in roughly 40 rounds.
• I like the simplicity of a pump gun. I'm pretty sure I can learn how to use a pump properly. I actually have some 12 gauge dummy rounds I bought for a firearms safety class. Correct me if I'm wrong but pump vs semi-auto is like revolver vs pistol
• Mossberg 590s (Model # 50778) are going for almost 2X MSRP on Gunbroker right now. Ouch!

First, "revolver versus pistol" regarding gun reliability is a really old trope that people don't really understand or elaborate on. Revolvers can have plenty that goes wrong with them, like say the top strap working loose over time on old top-breaks, or the timing needing adjustment, or "Hillary Holes" locking the gun up at inopportune moments. Get that out of your head - all guns, as mechanical objects, can have failure issues and wildly vary in terms of quality control and reliability. Put it this way, I'll take a Glock over an old Iver Johnson top break any day for any purpose.

Second, the primary advantage from a shooting standpoint with a semi-auto versus a pump is recoil mitigation. Recoil mitigation impacts how fast someone can get back on target. This matters when shooting heavier-recoiling ammo like say military grade 00 buckshot. A semi-auto gas system mitigates recoil and makes followup shots quicker and generally, easier. Semi-autos also tend to be heavier because they either have a gas, long recoil, or short recoil system, and weight also mitigates recoil.

I like pump shotguns, I've owned a variety of them, but its good to have a full picture and not rely on idioms that applied in say 1905 or 1910 to influence decision-making in 2021.

Edit: I've also been around a fair amount of both pumps and semi-auto shotguns and the "simplicity" of a pump shotgun is really overplayed. There's no mystery regarding how a semi-auto shotgun works. Gas systems are pretty easy to understand. Long and short recoil are even easier to understand. Most shotguns designed after 1950 are very easy to understand and field strip. Earlier guns, like the Winchester Model 12 and Browning Auto-5, get more complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my shotgun a few days ago. Beretta 1301 on Gunbroker. I'm looking forward to shooting it when I go up to NH at the end of next month. My gun club doesn't allow shotguns to be fired on their range (indoor range).
My dealer at the Mill handled the transfer and has been very helpful answering a few questions about the shotgun, especially since it came without a manual.
At first it wouldn't load more than three shells in the magazine but I discovered a plug in the magazine snd removed it. Now the shotgun holds 5 + 1.
If anyone has suggestions for a light and mounting system I would be interested to know what they are. I'm planning to use this for home defense. 1301.jpeg

Finally got my shotgun a few days ago. Beretta 1301 on Gunbroker. I'm looking forward to shooting it when I go up to NH at the end of next month. My gun club doesn't allow shotguns to be fired on their range (indoor range).
My dealer at the Mill handled the transfer and has been very helpful answering a few questions about the shotgun, especially since it came without a manual.
At first it wouldn't load more than three shells in the magazine but I discovered a plug in the magazine snd removed it. Now the shotgun holds 5 + 1.
If anyone has suggestions for a light and mounting system I would be interested to know what they are. I'm planning to use this for home defense.View attachment 465993
Fantastic choice. In fact, I was about to post the following podcast video, where the 1301 was a big recommendation.

Short stroking is a real consideration in a stressful self defense situation.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HGDikyeqfQ

For defensive use, I recommend #1 buck. I haven’t tried the flight control #1 buckshot, but hear it recommended. #1 buck may be hard to get currently though. And to ensure all the shot goes where you want it, I highly recommend a red dot. They’re just simply faster and more precise than irons. KE Arms has a slim mount for red dots that use the Aimpoint micro mount pattern: KE Arms - KE Arms Mount for Aimpoint Micro/Beretta 1301 Comp #1-50-30-001

Or, these guys have both Micro and RMR pattern options with integrated rear aperture sights: https://www.aridusindustries.com/products/beretta-1301-tactical-aimpoint-micro-crom/

As far as lights, I have one of these for my mossberg 500 and it works pretty good. But I don’t know if it would work with a 1301: LITE MOUNT TECHNOLOGIES TACTICAL SHOTGUN MOUNT | Brownells

For the light itself, so many great options. I would just stay away from Olight. You don’t need the power of a Modlite for a shotgun, but a surefire G2, or some other type of Surefire or Streamlight would work fine. Pressure tape works, but just a click tailcap with instantaneous operation would be fine.

If anyone has suggestions for a light and mounting system I would be interested to know what they are. I'm planning to use this for home defense.View attachment 465993
For light mounting options, looks like you can get a +2 tube with picatinny on it. That would work nicely to put on any plethora of picatinny light options.

Or Nordic Components:

Last edited:

Congratulations on your purchase. If I may "hijack" the thread for a bit, how do people keep in practice with a HD shotgun? Do y'all shoot trap and skeet even with the disadvantages for that purpose? Somehow, I can't picture myself going to the range and shooting at a patterning target every week.

Same way as with a pistol for me practice emergency reloads. Target acquisition, dry fire. Maybe take a course

Back
Top Bottom