• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hawaiian Shirt Shoot Sunday at Southborough Rod and Gun Club

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Aloha haoles!

Come on out to the Annual SRGC Hawaiian Shirt Trap Shoot on Sunday, at Noon

Wear a Hawaiian shirt, get a free round of Trap! (Targets only)

Then, compete for the title of King Kamehamaha or Queen Liliʻuokalani, and win a Pineapple!

Guests welcome, there'll be food and fun.

www.southboroughrodandgun.com

i tell you, when i lived in hawaii as a kid, mid 60's, haole wasn't a compliment. they'd tell you it just meant a white person from the mainland but was mostly used...well, it was equivalent to the "n" word for caucasions. the kids i hung with called me just "haole boy", no first name. later it was "kailua killarney." i've always thought it was because i lived in kailua and was irish. i was the only white person in my group of friends. so, another tidbit of info no one asked for! ;)

eta: have no clue what it means now.

Oh, I know that it can be a negative.

One place I worked, I was known to the Latinos as "Gordito" (which means handsome, right? *)

Since it was said without rancor (I speak some Spanish, and made the attempt to practice), and with accuracy, it was not a problem. One guy even asked to make sure I was OK with it. I might have been muy gringo, but when two people needed a favor, and I was one of them....well Gordito generally won.

Another guy at a different place, who self-identifed as my "Half-beaner homie" said that I should have not let them do it, but I pointed out his use of "beaner". Both were contextual.

When the Brits in the House of Lords refer to each other as, "My Noble cousin." it's not always polite.

But Kanka, wahinnie or Haole are all welcome. I have Pork marinating in pineapple juice with brown sugar and siraccha.

Back
Top Bottom