Having Toy Guns in the Home

I am looking for some thoughts and opinions on having toy guns in the home. Growing up as a child playing with toy guns was a normal everyday fun for my brother and I. Now as a new father to 10mo old twin boys, I am starting to think about wether these are appropriate toys for my boys as they get older.

I looking to get some opinions from parents here how they approach this topic. In my younger years I had always looked at those parents who, "didn't allow their children to play with toy guns", as kind of crazy. But now I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Obviously gun safety is a top priority in my home. (Not looking to debate that). But makes you think about friends homes who may not have such safety in mind.

I do do plan on properly educating them, but should ones go to the extreme of educating them that guns whether be toys or not..... Are not toys to be played with.

I know growing up, many of my toy guns were brightly colored, but others were very realistic, all had the same components...... Barrels, Sights, handles, and triggers where the fun was to point them and pull the trigger........

What at do you guys think

I'd minimize any potential for bad things t happen by first, properly securing all firearms, whether tha'ts in a locked container, trigger lock, locked room, out of kids reach (c'mon, they're 10mo) or on your person. Ideas on keeping them secured changes as they get older of course. Second, I kno where my kids play and who with. I didn't like them going to Johnnys house cause Johnnys dad had loaded guns laying around, and weren't very well supervised.

I've had parents ask me "Do you have guns laying around" I understood the intent of the question and simply said "no" I've got some wall hangers for decoration but i don't see a kid climbing up and grabbing a Mauser off the wall and the going and finding 8mm for it all while I'm cognizant of what is going on in my home.

As for toy guns, well, I'd have to think that at that age they are out playing and running around, they're old enough to know what a toy gun is vs Dads heavy real gun. Sure there are airsofts that look very realistic, guess it depends. I'm thinking cap guns and those wooden single cock 1903 looking rifles with the green web sling.

I remember if we were playing cowboys and indians, we could point and "shoot" each other all we wanted, but if you were just sitting there and pointed a toy gun at someone, that usually resulted in an ass beating.

Mine have toy guns... the new stuff doesn't last as long as the old ones. Toys are for playing and imagining. Real guns are not.

Not a parent here, so take this with a grain of salt...

I think some fairly young kids can be educated on the difference between toy guns and real ones.

I don't think prohibiting toy guns to kids is going to make a whit of difference. If nothing else they'll pick up a stick, or point a finger, and go "bang!"

Given recent events, in which kids have been killed playing with toy guns that were confused for real ones, I think it's important to teach kids to be careful how they play with toy guns in public. I'm not sure what that might entail, though. When I was a kid we played "army" and "cops and robbers" and "cowboys and Indians" with our toy guns in backyards, school playgrounds, whatever, and no one said a thing about it.

I grew up in the late 60's with three brothers. We had what today would be called an arsenal. Back then it was barely typical. My favorite was one that passed for a BAR from about 10 feet away. It shot ping-pong balls. We re-fought every battle of WW2 with the entire neighborhood of kids joining in epic wars. Walkie-Talkies and binoculars only made things better.

I think the world is a very different place now. Remember we also had bubble-gum cigarettes! It's sad but if you let your kids roam the neighborhood these days with toy guns, don't be surprised if someone calls the police.

With our kids, we never had any toy guns in the house save brightly colored squirt guns or ray-gun looking nerf guns. I have two daughters so interest in guns growing up wasn't really an item.

My youngest (20) has been going with me to the range regularly for the past several months. She's a natural with a revolver and is getting better with my semi and 22 rifle. She recently tried skeet for the first time and really enjoyed it.

For me it wouldn't be worth the hassle to deal with all the flower petals who would lose control of their bodily functions if they saw a kids with toy guns. When your boys are old enough you can introduce them to the sport responsibly. There are just too many stories of kids getting shot while playing with realistic looking toys. Growing up without toy guns doesn't imply they won't enjoy them when they're older.

Congrats on your boys! Enjoy them, next thing you'll know they'll be 20 and it will seem like only a couple weeks has passed.

3 Girls here. I waited until they were 4-5 so they knew enough not to shoot eachothers eye's out.....Still didn't stop the stupid-ass neighbors boy from coming over and shooting my daughter in the eye however. Freakin little bastard.

Just do it…

Cause you know what, EVERY boy will find something to pretend it's a gun with. They will use empty toilet roll's and paper towel rolls etc. It's in our DNA to make something into a weapon. So you might as well give them something they will enjoy and something you know they will play with.

I was a kid right as cap guns went from being decently constructed and used the long paper rolls to the cheap plastic 8 shot thingies. I had a blast playing cowboys and indians with the smoke and everything. I'm certainly going to get my kids toy guns - they are tons of fun.

My kids, who had all manner of toy weapons, survived to grow into gun owning/shooting enthusiast. Like others said, real guns locked up or in your control. When old enough, start the education. Good luck!

I have three boys. They make guns out of everything (as others have said). Let children be children. Its a great opportunity to talk to then about gun safety.

To me this is part of the pussification of America. Not directed at the OP, but this groupthink is everywhere and it makes folks second guess themselves.

Toy guns don't even look like guns anymore. Even still, just about any kid old enough to play with toy guns appropriately would be old enough to distinguish a toy one from a real one once it's been introduced as such. Just keep them out of reach (the real ones) and you'll be fine.

If you're referring to life like airsoft replicas, then I would avoid them to reduce opportunities for confusion. Nerf guns on the other hand are huge with kids today. My kids have a Punisher/Matrix type cache. It's one of the few things that get them to play outside. Plus, I get to mod their Nerf guns... for science of course.

Nerf%20Targets_sm_zps8co5yu1c.jpg

Nerf Targets_sm.jpg

I am looking for some thoughts and opinions on having toy guns in the home. Growing up as a child playing with toy guns was a normal everyday fun for my brother and I.

Did you grow up to be a serial killer? Know anybody that did? Let the kids be kids and play with toys, be they dolls or toy guns.

Good to have its own thread. I have the same question, but here's my thoughts on toy guns:

Kids, like EMT dad said, have so much imagination, they don't need a realistic or even semi realistic toy gun. My kids use sticks, vacuum tubes, lego's, even a dinosaur as a gun. I won't buy them anything that resembles a real gun - maybe Nerf guns, that's it - and when they're a little older I'll teach them gun safety, i.e. before they start going over to friend's houses without me there.

OK
397512-water_gun.jpg

Not OK

61bKJjt75PL._SL1376_.jpg

Last edited:
Political correctness is quickly shredding everything we've ever known about being an American. The mere fact that the OP has felt the need to start this thread is positive proof of this. Toy guns are uniquely American and should remain in place among all other uniquely-American things. Period.

Political correctness is quickly shredding everything we've ever known about being an American. The mere fact that the OP has felt the need to start this thread is positive proof of this. Toy guns are uniquely American and should remain in place among all other uniquely-American things. Period.
Yea, like child pageantry!

Edit: sorry, not to mock you this post just reminded me of an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I remember if we were playing cowboys and indians, we could point and "shoot" each other all we wanted, but if you were just sitting there and pointed a toy gun at someone, that usually resulted in an ass beating.

This ^^ kids will figure out the rules of play themselves.
My twin daughters picked up sticks for rifles and pine cones for hand grenades before we ever had a toy gun in the house.
I had a ton of toy guns growing up- playing cowboys, army and cops and robbers- look at me, I turned out alright!! [wink]

BTW, I'm more concerned with my girls at the neighbor's house due to their dog then the potential threat of a firearm.

Did you grow up to be a serial killer? Know anybody that did? Let the kids be kids and play with toys, be they dolls or toy guns.

Im not worried about that.
-the question was directed for children within that curious age range and are looking at any gun as a possible toy, because it looks like something that have played before.

For those who responded keep your guns locked up.... As mentioned this was not a question about my owne personal home safety measures to keep my own guns out of their hands. It either on my person, or locked up.

-there is an age where a child is not going say ......"this one is real, I'm not going to pick it up"

Was just curious how others have dealt with this, education/safety, no toy guns until one is of age "fill in the blank" when they better understand. Etc

Not just "keep you guns locked up" ...... That is obvious

Are you a grown ass man? Buy your kids toy guns. Teach them gun safety. Move on...

I am looking for some thoughts and opinions on having toy guns in the home. Growing up as a child playing with toy guns was a normal everyday fun for my brother and I. Now as a new father to 10mo old twin boys, I am starting to think about wether these are appropriate toys for my boys as they get older.

I looking to get some opinions from parents here how they approach this topic. In my younger years I had always looked at those parents who, "didn't allow their children to play with toy guns", as kind of crazy. But now I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Obviously gun safety is a top priority in my home. (Not looking to debate that). But makes you think about friends homes who may not have such safety in mind.

I do do plan on properly educating them, but should ones go to the extreme of educating them that guns whether be toys or not..... Are not toys to be played with.

I know growing up, many of my toy guns were brightly colored, but others were very realistic, all had the same components...... Barrels, Sights, handles, and triggers where the fun was to point them and pull the trigger........

this is not political correctness or being an American...... It's about how/when preparing a child with regards to firearm safety, with an emphasis on an every day toy..... Not just in your own home, but others. These reports of children shooting themselves, their parents..... How could this have been avoided, other than the "no shit" answer of locking up the gun.

Sorry but that response makes no sense, or has any relevance in this thread.

Eddie Eagle program. Buy the kid a toy gun. Buy the kid a real gun. Don't buy the kid any guns. your kid, your choice. Teach him safety around all guns in case his friends parents have guns. . Not rocket science...

Last edited:
this is not political correctness or being an American...... It's about how/when preparing a child with regards to firearm safety, with an emphasis on an every day toy..... Not just in your own home, but others. These reports of children shooting themselves, their parents..... How could this have been avoided, other than the "no shit" answer of locking up the gun.

Sorry but that response makes no sense, or has any relevance in this thread.

I hear you. I hope that when I have kids that I'll raise them how I was raised as far as guns. I shot my first rifle, which was a .22, at my uncle's farm at some water bottles when I was 8. Didn't shoot another gun until I went to the military at 17 (unless you count BB guns or air rifles in JROTC). My dad always had a revolver in his bedroom but I never ****ed with it. Never so much as picked it up actually. I just always knew where it was if anything were to happen at home.

Now that I think of it, there really wasn't much "raising" for me when it came to guns. I just always had common sense [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom