• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Have you tried action shooting? And not like it???

I shoot IDPA/USPSA and find it very exciting and entertaining. I personally don't shoot other disiplines but I can understand how different people enjoy steel, bulleye, trap, etc. I know there are some folks that give it a try and don't do it anymore. I'm curious as to why since I find it so addicting. To me at least it offers so many challenges that other shooting sports don't- moving, steel and paper, accuracy and close shots, reloading, course strategy, etc. I'm really just curious. Like other shooting sports- I find the people extremely helpful and quite entertaining as well.

Thanks

MODS: I wanted general feedback so I didn't post this in the competition section.

I shot a lot of sporting clays over the last 10 years, when I shot competitions a lot I shot around 15,000 rounds of 12ga a year, but since I have finally started with IDPA the shotguns will be sitting more. I shot a club match in July at Bass River and that was it- complete addiction. Shot a classsifier in July and the postal match at Bass River. I can't wait for the next match.

I don't think I've found any type of competition shooting that I don't like. I just don't have the time to do them all.

time and money are my biggest constraints. If I want to commit to something, I don't like half-assing it. Don't get me wrong, I loved action shooting the time I did it, but I just couldn't see myself funding the hobby until I graduated and got a full-time job. also, my time available is non-existent.

I've tried USPSA twice at Westfield, and loved it. The problem I have with going is that it usually is held on weekends that I have drill. [frown]

Monson is the next closest, but that's a 1.5 hour drive instead of 30 minutes. I guess I don't have that level of addiction yet. Palmer for IDPA is about the same drive, S&W in Springfield is an hour. Westfield has IDPA on a different weekend than USPSA, but I'm having trouble getting a schedule for that. After I'm done with the Air Guard, I'm betting I'll be able to get more in, but until then, I'll take it when I can.

Time, money and/or travel constraints are all legit reasons that I can certainly understand. I tend to shoot 9mm these day and enjoy the cost savings over .45ACP (and I reload too). Other than these though... I'm not sure why more don't continue with it. Keep on...

Other addictions.

I am hooked on training retrievers and running hunt tests with them. Eats a lot of time and $ that I would otherwise spend shooting.

As some of the others have said time and money is what keeps me from doing more shooting and alot of other things I want to do.

For me it was time. I'd be at a Cowboy Action Shoot for 4.5 yo 5 hours for everyone to cycle through 6 stages. Each stage took approx one minute for me to shoot. That's alot of time standing and waiting for only 6 minutes of shooting. I started rethinking the game. When the reality of home ownership hit and I was not able to make a shoot in almost two years, I discovered I did not miss it. I'm slowly selling off my gear.

For me it was time. I'd be at a Cowboy Action Shoot for 4.5 yo 5 hours for everyone to cycle through 6 stages. Each stage took approx one minute for me to shoot. That's alot of time standing and waiting for only 6 minutes of shooting. I started rethinking the game. When the reality of home ownership hit and I was not able to make a shoot in almost two years, I discovered I did not miss it. I'm slowly selling off my gear.

While home ownership has put me into the same boat...I've found the same thing about the time. But then, I was thinking, it was also about the people as much as it was the game. And it was great to watch people like Half a Hand shoot. Made the standing around not so much like standing around.

Me it's working two or three jobs to pay for the work that I need to do on the house. The amount it costs to keep two kids in day care, and the gas I spend back and forth to work.

So, spare time lately has been spent with my family as I don't have much of it anymore.

I can answer this one and I've been around for quite some time. This year I'm addicted to improving and working hard towards it. I've always practiced a lot but I have too many hobbies. I started shooting USPSA about 4 years ago. I shot a few matches my first year and loved it. Then I got into Kart racing and all my spare time and money went into that. It was fun but I missed the shooting. I came back to shooting for a while and then switched jobs. My new job ate up all my spare time as I was working a lot of nights and weekends. I was still shooting just not shooting matches. I received more crap for this than anyone can ever imagine.

Anyways, I made an effort at the end of last year that I'm going to focus on my shooting and training and I've put a lot of resources into my practice/training. I've improved quite a bit this year and I def. regret taking the time off. My head is in my shooting 100% right now and it will remain that way for a long time.

What I enjoy so much about shooting USPSA is the level of competition we have in this area. All of these ladies and gentlemen are great and I learn something new everytime I shoot with them. I try to help any newer shooters whenever I can to give back as there have been so many shooters out there over the years that have helped me out esp. John Sardina.

Such a great group of people!!!

Pete

Well I'm really glad to hear that the people that don't do it anymore have serious reasons and/or other commitments. I was a little worried that some folks get scared off or find it intimitating. We have some people that come by and look a little out of their element and although we're all friendly people it can be nervous at first. Like C-pher said the standing around isn't that bad when you are with great people.

Oh and Pete... want to be my John Sardina? [smile]

love it

I shoot bullseye and IDPA. Bullseye is on wednesday evenings.

IDPA seems (with some exceptions) to be shot on Saturdays. Being

self employed, after labor day we're open on saturdays until memorial day

weekend, for the summer we are open M-F.

At the moment we are gutting the second floor so time is not on my side.

We are giving thoughts to changing our work schedule but havn't decided

what that will be. I havn't been to the range since the July 4th weekend.

Just a matter of time.

JimB

USPSA is def. my favorite. I love the adrenalin rush, the challenge, the people, striving for constant improvement and trying to ride the absolute edge of my shooting ability without going overboard and blowing it. I am addicted!

Like pete, I too strive to improve (although I must admit I do not practice like him)[wink]. I try to shoot one USPSA match each month.

I also like to shoot steel, bowling pins, tactical rifle, three gun and action shotgun. I am shooting some type of event every Sunday if possible.

Also like Pete - the list of names of who have helped me along in the shooting sports goes on and on. That help is on going too - I am always learning something from some one.

I also like to help others whenever I can -provided I can give them something worthwhile.

I shoot bullseye and IDPA. Bullseye is on wednesday evenings.

IDPA seems (with some exceptions) to be shot on Saturdays. Being

self employed, after labor day we're open on saturdays until memorial day

weekend, for the summer we are open M-F.

At the moment we are gutting the second floor so time is not on my side.

We are giving thoughts to changing our work schedule but havn't decided

what that will be. I havn't been to the range since the July 4th weekend.

Just a matter of time.

JimB

IDPA Third Sunday bass River in Yarmouthport. 4 stages next match is Sept due to conflict and will be a back up gun only match. Come on down. If you don't have a BUG, bring some 40S&W or 38spl and you can shoot one of my round guns [wink]

As for me, I have shot PPC, USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, a little Steel Challenge, a little three gun, some tactical rifle, Bulls Eye, and maybe something else I forgot.

None of it real well, but I have a good time, meet a lot of interesting and genuinely nice people. I have shooting friends from all over the country thanks to IDPA & USPSA.

Last edited:
USPSA is def. my favorite. I love the adrenalin rush, the challenge, the people, striving for constant improvement and trying to ride the absolute edge of my shooting ability without going overboard and blowing it. I am addicted!

And it's FAR more Politically INcorrect than bullseye, rifle, trap or skeet! [smile]

I seem to SO/RO/RSO about as much as I shoot, it's the people and not my skills that make action pistol shooting fun for me.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom