Have you gotten your M1 Garand yet?

Not on hand, but I'll try to take some tonight. The pitting isn't really that big of a deal, and is really only cosmetic. To my eye, it's not deep enough to make it a problem, and I bought this to shoot anyhow, so it just adds character.
this is exatly what the field grade specials are for. In spec reciever with new barrel and stock. You cant build a M1 from reciever up for that unless your sitting on the gold old days prices of M1 and parts.

My Rifle is on the way. Should be here by noon tomorrow. I am getting a post war Springfield. At least I think so. Serial is 4233790 which I believe puts it in the first year of new rifle production for the Korean War. 1952. Can’t wait!!!

Head spaced? It’s a newly rebuilt rifle. That should be ready to roll right out the gate. I never heard of that but this is my first ever Garand. I’m pretty sure your rifle is good to go.

I bought one a year ago. One of the CMP specials with a new criterion barrel, new stock and refinished receiver. It's really cool just holding it. Looks like it came straight out of the factory. I still haven't shot it. Does the headspace need to be checked? It says it's recommended in the paper work but it has a new barrel. Didn't think it would need that.
you should not need to headspace it , but it never hurts to check.

That's what I assumed but the paperwork said otherwise. Eh I'll just shoot it. Thanks.
From CMP’s website (M1 Garand):

"Each M1 Garand rifle sold by CMP is an authentic U.S. Government rifle that has been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function."

I believe the recommendation to check the headspace is just CYA on the CMP’s part, just in case something was missed.

Just a note to all you new M1 owners. You do need to be careful about what ammo you shoot in your new Garand. Modern .30-06 hunting ammo will generally have too high of a peak pressure and can damage your Grand’s op rod. Your best bet is using ammo specifically made for M1s. TSUSA has a page dedicated to M1 Grand ammo: M1 Garand Ammo . And of course you can use CMP’s own Creedmoor ammo: Creedmoor/CMP 3006 M2 Ball . The old mil-sup ammo is all but gone. If you must use normal commercial .30-06 ammo, I would suggest you get the Garand Gear Ported Gas Plug . A description of how it works is here: The M1 Garand and Commercial Ammunition . At $40 for a simple plug it’s not cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than trying to fix or replace your op rod.

Got two cases coming from the CMP. After I burn through those I’ll reload my own. CMP isn’t exactly cheap but compared to what I’ve been seeing lately it’s not bad. Most of all, it’s not sold out.

Sent in my paperwork a couple weeks ago on one of those rack specials & a couple cases of ammo. Hoping for a nice Xmas present for me!

I was looking at those $750 service grades, but I have the opportunity to purchase an absolute mint condition .308 chambered Garand for $900. Not sure which one to go with. I’d like the 30-06 because thats the original chambering, but man that .308 was nice.
Why not get both ? 30-06 is pretty damn pricey these days . Love to find a 308 for under A G NOTE

Why not get both ? 30-06 is pretty damn pricey these days . Love to find a 308 for under A G NOTE
Get yourself one of the RM1SPECIALRACK for $650 and a new .308 Criterion barrel for $199. If you can find a gunsmith willing to mount and headspace it for under $150 you’ve got your sub 1K .308 :D

ETA: Just remembered that the CMP Custom Shop will install your new barrel for $75, so you’d have a .308 for $924.

Last edited:
Grabbed a USGI Field Grade in 06 and a Service Grade in 07. Both Springers and from CMP. The FG from the 40s and the SG from the 50s. UPS left them on my front porch no signature or nothing, lol.

Both of them are good shooters, but the operating rod "shoe" on the FG is a bit worn. The FG also had a mismatched handguard, but using some methods found on the CMP forums, I was able to adjust that. Put a nice leather Turner sling on each. Still have couple of spam cans of Greek HXP(in clips and bandoleers) and about 100 odd rounds of old Lake City all in clips.

I almost grabbed a carbine--had the mags and everything, but ended up changing my mind. No desire to get a 1911.

I've been tempted to get another either a Win or an H&R, but the thought of getting something without surplus wood is turning me off.

Grabbed a USGI Field Grade in 06 and a Service Grade in 07. Both Springers and from CMP. The FG from the 40s and the SG from the 50s. UPS left them on my front porch no signature or nothing, lol.

Both of them are good shooters, but the operating rod "shoe" on the FG is a bit worn. The FG also had a mismatched handguard, but using some methods found on the CMP forums, I was able to adjust that. Put a nice leather Turner sling on each. Still have couple of spam cans of Greek HXP(in clips and bandoleers) and about 100 odd rounds of old Lake City all in clips.

I almost grabbed a carbine--had the mags and everything, but ended up changing my mind. No desire to get a 1911.

I've been tempted to get another either a Win or an H&R, but the thought of getting something without surplus wood is turning me off.
My win just came with surplus wood. My IHC came with new CMP

Back
Top Bottom