Have you gotten your M1 Garand yet?

Oh, and just to stir the pot some more, a reminder to all you MA residents stuck with a FID: the Garand is one of the few semiautomatic centerfires you can own with FID since it only has a fixed 7 shot magazine. (Yes, an enbloc clip holds 8 rounds, but that’s because it’s designed to be inserted with the bolt locked back and the chamber empty, the M1 is 7+1.)

Last edited:
Cheap compared to what? Something completely dissimilar like 9mm or crap AK fodder? It's all relative. However I would agree that .92 isn't cheap. $.60 would be cheap but those days are over unless some garbage corrosive ammo pops up.

Regarding M1 pricing, you are wrong. Unless you compare against the retarded "I remember when..." stories, M1 pricing via CMP has inflated only a little over the last 10 years. Private sales prices are roughly $200 to $300 over CMP unless someone gets lucky with something more collectible from the CMP. The current CMP supply of rifles comes from the Phillipine returns. When those run out, it's over.

Exactly, if you want a Garand there is no better time than now to get one or two. $650 for FG from CMP is incredible. These won't last.

Mailed in all of the docs for a Special Rack Grade on Saturday (10/24) - $650. We'll see what happens...
Their 4-6 weeks shipping estimate is usually pretty accurate. If you signup for the E-Store with all the same info you used on your order, I think you’ll be able to see the status on you E-Store order status page.

Again, I should know this, but I've lost track. Does a CMP purchase have to go through an FFL in MA?

You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many Garands.
ORLY?
img_5656-1.jpg

I saw that picture - looks nice.
Do you have pictures of the receiver pitting you can share.

Not on hand, but I'll try to take some tonight. The pitting isn't really that big of a deal, and is really only cosmetic. To my eye, it's not deep enough to make it a problem, and I bought this to shoot anyhow, so it just adds character.

I've always wanted a Garand but every time I came close to having the itch scratched, something came up that had a bigger itch (kids, utilities, cars/repairs needed, etc). I've pretty much come to the conclusion that that ship has probably sailed for distant ports, never to return. Plus, it's one more mouth I'd need to feed ;). I already have enough calibers that need food. They sure are pretty though.

A few years back I traded one of my coveted Colt 1911's for a CMP special grade M1 in .308. I had been looking around for a nice .308 Garand since I'd built my FAL years ago. This way I can just make one mild 7.62/.308 reload to shoot through both, and not have to bother getting into yet another expensive caliber. That .308 M1 is one of my favorite rifles to shoot now. Love that "PING"!
It's a Korean War era receiver with a mixed bag of all the other parts. I never even bothered to ID the makes of all the small parts like some do. I don't really care. ;)

I think there are two broad classes of M1 owners (with considerable overlap between the two). Collectors, who want to document the provenance of every part of their M1s. And shooters, who're more interested in how their gun shoots than where it came from. Of course most folks fall somewhere between these two extremes, being interested in the history of their gun(s) and how well they can shoot with it (them). But everyone I’ve met will definitely lean to one or the other (there are a few that are both). I’m more of a shooter than a collector. I know the manufacturer and the date of my receivers, which tells me if they were WW2 or Korean vintage, and that’s about it. I’m also a big fan of the CMP specials (both in .30-06 and .308) which are probably abhorrent to a pure collector.

I think there are two broad classes of M1 owners...

I got interested in Garands when years back a buddy of mine at the American Legion post asked me to look at a few of their honor guard rifles and see if I could fix them up. Only two of them were inoperable. One had a bent op rod and the other was mysteriously missing its bullet guide. I got both running again and in the process decided I had to have one some day. When it comes to collectible firearms I've had a few over the years that were all original and valuable, but I like to shoot my guns. That's what they're meant for! Something like a Special Grade M1 is perfect for me as it is a mostly faithful example of an original rifle, but you can shoot the heck out of it without worrying too much about lowering it's value significantly if something breaks.

Welp, I guess I waited too long on that .308 Garand because its sold! My indecisiveness got the best of me. I sense a CMP special rack grade in my near future.

Just remember, officially there were 5,468,772 Garands built in the US. A lot, but if you consider the number lost in battle, destroyed by the military as unwanted surplus and just lost in time, the supply is definitely limited. The ones that CMP is selling now are repatriated loaners (about 86,000 from the Philippines and 13,000 from Turkey). Before these guns were brought back to the states in 2018, the CMP was just about out of M1s. Once these 99,000 guns are sold, you’ll likely only be able to get M1s on the open market and I expect that their prices will only increase. In other words, act now or risk missing out.

I think there are two broad classes of M1 owners (with considerable overlap between the two). Collectors, who want to document the provenance of every part of their M1s. And shooters, who're more interested in how their gun shoots than where it came from. Of course most folks fall somewhere between these two extremes, being interested in the history of their gun(s) and how well they can shoot with it (them). But everyone I’ve met will definitely lean to one or the other (there are a few that are both). I’m more of a shooter than a collector. I know the manufacturer and the date of my receivers, which tells me if they were WW2 or Korean vintage, and that’s about it. I’m also a big fan of the CMP specials (both in .30-06 and .308) which are probably abhorrent to a pure collector.

I'm with you there. I tend to eventually sell my collectible stuff to fund more shooters- excepting a bonafide 1903 National Match that I regularly shoot in matches, which makes it a shooter too.

I do enjoy learning the history and details from the collector crowd, unless they get too hoity toity. The 'purists' can sometimes be a little snotty about the shooter grade stuff which makes them easy to troll.

This was a Field Grade Turkish return, which when once the brown smegma was stripped away had some small pits on the receiver. Many of the parts looked like they had been sandblasted due to so much of the finish wearing away. Reparked, crap parts replaced, and sports a Krieger barrel now and shoots better than I do. Some pitting is still visible when viewed up close. Won quite a few silvers with it even at bigger matches, still trying for that gold.

BUR8O9Z.jpg

I'm with you there. I tend to eventually sell my collectible stuff to fund more shooters- excepting a bonafide 1903 National Match that I regularly shoot in matches, which makes it a shooter too.

I do enjoy learning the history and details from the collector crowd, unless they get too hoity toity. The 'purists' can sometimes be a little snotty about the shooter grade stuff which makes them easy to troll.

This was a Field Grade Turkish return, which when once the brown smegma was stripped away had some small pits on the receiver. Many of the parts looked like they had been sandblasted due to so much of the finish wearing away. Reparked, crap parts replaced, and sports a Krieger barrel now and shoots better than I do. Some pitting is still visible when viewed up close. Won quite a few silvers with it even at bigger matches, still trying for that gold.

BUR8O9Z.jpg

That stock is a beauty!

The IHC appears to have the original LMR barrel on quick inspection. Most marked parts are correct allthough it sits in a new CMP stock.

The Winchester receiver is the only thing Winchester about it. Mostly SA and HRA parts. It sits in a rebuild GI stock with lots of character. It is a field grade and probably the roughest Ive owned yet, but I just wanted a winchester.

I am both types of M1 owner. I have a special with a new barrel and stock that I shoot. And the rest are for collecting and making correct.

I sent my order in a week after yours. My rifle should be right around the corner. Haven’t received any kind of order confirmation yet so I’m just trying to be patient and not email or call.

As a NH resident, it would bug me terribly that I’d have to keep any guns hidden away, out of sight, and only shoot my “legal” guns at the range. But we’d see a new Next-Gen Fudd-2 class of members that were “looking out for the best interests of the club” that would turn you in for an “illegal” gun if they saw it. Hence, suppressors in the woods...

If a banned suppressed firearm is discharged in the woods and no nobody hears it, was there a banned firearm? Hmmm...

1604104817602.png

Back
Top Bottom