Have you gotten your M1 Garand yet?

cathouse01

NES Member
Assuming the worst case scenario and the Dem’s win everything, having an M1 Garand is a good insurance policy. In all of their “assault weapon” bans/confiscation proposals, the M1 is always specifically exempted (tough to ban something that .gov or it’s chartered agent has been selling for the past 70 years). The CMP still has service grade M1s available for $750 and their special rack grade for $650 (the special is a particularly good deal since it’s a refinished rack grade receiver with a new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling). Cheaper than just about anything else that always appears on their “exempted list”. Just need to be a member of GOAL and have your LTC to get one.

I was looking at those $750 service grades, but I have the opportunity to purchase an absolute mint condition .308 chambered Garand for $900. Not sure which one to go with. I’d like the 30-06 because thats the original chambering, but man that .308 was nice.

Last edited:
I was looking at those $750 service grades, but I have the opportunity to Purchase an absolute mint condition .308 chambered Garand for $900. Not sure which one to go with. I’d like the 30-06 because thats the original chambering, but man that .308 was nice.
I have both. There are advantages to both. The .308 will take standard 7.62x51 ammo, while the .30-06 takes what the antis think of as a “hunting” round. They are equally accurate and fun to shoot. A service grade ’06 will probably have more “history” than a special and, if there is an issue with ammo availability you can always swap the barrel for one chambered in .308 (everything else stays the same, though it’s recommended that you put a spacer in the magazine to prevent you from accidentally loading .30-06 rounds in it). The special will come with a new barrel while the service grade is the luck of the draw (but will definitely be shootable).

I have both. There are advantages to both. The .308 will take standard 7.62x51 ammo, while the .30-06 takes what the antis think of as a “hunting” round. They are equally accurate and fun to shoot. A service grade ’06 will probably have more “history” than a special and, if there is an issue with ammo availability you can always swap the barrel for one chambered in .308 (everything else stays the same, though it’s recommended that you put a spacer in the magazine to prevent you from accidentally loading .30-06 rounds in it). The special will come with a new barrel while the service grade is the luck of the draw (but will definitely be shootable).
Thanks for the insight. So, if I were to buy from CMP and between the special rack and the service, which would you go with? I like the idea of an essentially new refinished rifle, but the service grade tickles my enjoyment of history. Either way, i’m sure it would be tough to be dissapointed.

Thanks for the insight. So, if I were to buy from CMP and between the special rack and the service, which would you go with? I like the idea of an essentially new refinished rifle, but the service grade tickles my enjoyment of history. Either way, i’m sure it would be tough to be dissapointed.
I have a service grade and a special rack. I shoot the service grade a lot more.

The special rack is really a competition gun, for me.
The service grade feels like a real milsurp (since it is).
The special rack is still nice, but doesn't have that same "it factor." It's refinished, new barrel (mine is 2015 dated) and the stock is new production. My service grade has a 1944 barrel and the original USGI wood...there's no comparison for me.

Still, if shooting a match tomorrow, the rack special would be my choice; tighter lockup, new barrel.

Assuming the worst case scenario and the Dem’s win everything, having an M1 Garand is a good insurance policy. In all of their “assault weapon” bans/confiscation proposals, the M1 is always specifically exempted (tough to ban something that .gov or it’s chartered agent has been selling for the past 70 years).
I have a Garand but I also don't care what's in their proposals because molon labe. That said, I haven't shot my M1 in a while, I should go check what I have for ammo... Does CMP still have surplus in stock? I think my rounds were Greek last time I bought some.

Buy one if you want one but you should be buying stuff you want not going for a 'fudd exception.' If they ban something you have are you going to give it back? Then buy what you want, or if your answer is yes don't waste your money and buy any guns.

I have a Garand but I also don't care what's in their proposals because molon labe. That said, I haven't shot my M1 in a while, I should go check what I have for ammo... Does CMP still have surplus in stock? I think my rounds were Greek last time I bought some.
Greek HXP is long gone unless they've found some quite recently. They had Norwegian surplus for a while (corrosive), but it's gone, too. PPU is your best bet now (or reloading).

IMO, assuming that the Dums will NOT go after even the M1 Garand is foolish. They want ALL guns out of our hands. It just MIGHT take them longer to go after the M1 than other things.

Yup. Just wait till they get a hair across their asses about those evil 10-round magazines. After all, no one needs more than 5 rounds in a hunting rifle, right?

I want an M1A first then I want a Garand for sure. I’m torn on what to look for in a Garand, so I’ve been holding off until I’m a little more experienced.
Nothing to look for on a CMP Garand per se unless you're adamant you need a particular manufacturer (like Winchester or IHC) or date range.
Otherwise, it's luck of the draw, although you can do the "sticky note" route like I did when you place your order.

CMP Garands will work. If you have any issues, they will correct them.

Nothing to look for on a CMP Garand per se unless you're adamant you need a particular manufacturer (like Winchester or IHC) or date range.
Otherwise, it's luck of the draw, although you can do the "sticky note" route like I did when you place your order.
What is the sticky note route? Is there an organization I should join to be eligible to purchase a CMP Garand? I’m about to join GOAL and I heard that since CMP and GOAL are connected you can order firearms
through them, is that the case with Garands?

By the time they're done, it will be one shot and take 20 minutes to reload.
I believe the UK already does this. I recall watching a video of a Brit shooting one, and they have to make their semi-autos basically bolt actions by mucking with the gas systems.

What is the sticky note route? Is there an organization I should join to be eligible to purchase a CMP Garand? I’m about to join GOAL and I heard that since CMP and GOAL are connected you can order firearms
through them, is that the case with Garands?
GOAL works, Garand Collectors Association works, as do others.
LTC satisfies the marksmanship activity requirement.

The sticky note route is adding a sticky note on your order to the people fulfilling it. Mine for my service grade was "USGI wood, please." Others have said stuff like "WW2 serial, please."

They aren't bound to honor it, but supposedly the people filling the orders will try, when feasible, to do so. Doesn't always work, but I did get my USGI wood as requested.

There is no reason not to go CMP unless you have a friend or relative offering you an M1 at a great price, or, like I mentioned, you are fixated on a certain manufacturer or variant (like a Lend Lease one, or something). If you just want "an M1" then CMP will be your cheapest option and you have a resource to actually turn to if you have an issue.

GOAL works, Garand Collectors Association works, as do others.
LTC satisfies the marksmanship activity requirement.

The sticky note route is adding a sticky note on your order to the people fulfilling it. Mine for my service grade was "USGI wood, please." Others have said stuff like "WW2 serial, please."

They aren't bound to honor it, but supposedly the people filling the orders will try, when feasible, to do so. Doesn't always work, but I did get my USGI wood as requested.

There is no reason not to go CMP unless you have a friend or relative offering you an M1 at a great price, or, like I mentioned, you are fixated on a certain manufacturer or variant (like a Lend Lease one, or something). If you just want "an M1" then CMP will be your cheapest option and you have a resource to actually turn to if you have an issue.
Awesome bookmarked thank you!

I was looking at those $750 service grades, but I have the opportunity to purchase an absolute mint condition .308 chambered Garand for $900. Not sure which one to go with. I’d like the 30-06 because thats the original chambering, but man that .308 was nice.

Sh** - if you don’t want the .308 please send me the details. As much as I love my .30-06, I would love a Garand in .308.

Back
Top Bottom