1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Have you ever worked for an unethical person?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blindfire, May 22, 2019.

1. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

If GE buys something from you, the PO comes from a contracted purchasing organization. Their standard terms are 90 days - in reality 120 days.

But you can get your money in 30 days with a 1.5% discount. If you opt for that, they take the 1.5% and pay in 60 days.

I preferred to do business with other small businesses, on a handshake.

2. caboose84

caboose84 NES Member

3. EddieZoom

EddieZoom NES Member

Anyone who answers "no" to the Ops question likely hasn't been working for very long...

4. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

No. Jack.

5. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

Yes.
    It sucked.
    I quit, but I was there longer than I liked.

6. straightshooterjake

straightshooterjake

Not only is incompetence not illegal, it is often not immoral either. When I encounter outrageous behavior in business dealings, I try to remember "not to attribute to malice what could be explained by incompetence."

Really unethical behavior is pretty equivalent to malice, things like stealing, or trying to harm someone else just to advance yourself. But pretty often, behavior that looks like malice is just the purest form of incompetence. I mean the type of incompetence that does not know how to do any better, and can't even conceive of what competent performance might look like. I try to get as far away from these people as possible. But I accept that if the horrific performance is really that person doing their best, then it is not unethical.

7. namedpipes

namedpipes

I disagree, at least to some degree.

The person I'm thinking of was the CEO of $40m company and damned well SHOULD have known that he is incompetent. He was eventually walked out the door by the investors and went on to be the CEO of yet another doomed company.

Incompetence in the working ranks is an unfortunate fact of life, but that's on their managers to some extent. When you ARE the top-boss it is immoral / unethical to be incompetent. Unlucky or out-maneuvered is different.

8. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

I've only been a Comm. of MA employee for 3 months now and haven't seen any corruption....yet! Though I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
    Wish I could say the same for the people/companies I deal with on a regular basis....

9. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Yep. I was a federal contractor at my last job and enjoyed the job for the most part but my boss wasn't the greatest. My boss at my new job is awesome and makes the work (though more stressful/involved than my last job) more tolerable.

10. eboos

eboos

I did work for a car dealership in Foxboro after leaving the Marines. The first sales manager we had quickly disappeared when it was learned that everything he said about his background and experience was a lie.

Other than that, I can't say I've run into much unethical conduct. Misuse of wieners perhaps, but no real ethical issues.