1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Have to compliment the Massachusetts RMV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by snubnose, Jul 23, 2018.

1. snubnose

snubnose

Spfld Branch, no longer staffed by tax payer hating zombies-TWO employees made eye contact, smiled and said 'good morning' to me -ditto the real nice lady that handled my cdl 'real id' renewal.

Arrived just over an hour early, 8th in line, with all paperwork ready ; at opening time the entire group of about 80 people was in the building and in their respective lines in less than 10 minutes.
    My number was called at approximately 9:20 am and I was sent to haz mat testing in less than 15 minutes, clerk made it clear that I was NOT to sit down but to return to the desk upon completion of the test and 'just get my attention' so she could finish taking care of me as soon as possible.

While waiting I had a nice talk with one of the out sourced security people, they are only authorized to carry revolvers..

Done and out by 10:40, A.M !!!

The time to get my background DHS Haz Mat and TWIC checks set up, photos/prints taken and make payment added just about the same amount of time-I had an appointment.

Hopefully this is my last commercial renewal, its gotten expensive.

Frizzle Fry likes this.

2. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Yes, the least they could do is "rob us nicely. "

Lip, amm5061, Fixxah and 7 others like this.
  3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NES Member

You can also do all of that at a AAA location.

4. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

This, I did my Real ID at the Franklin AAA office and was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

quincy likes this.
  5. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

Were the prints for the CDL or the Hazmat endorsement? I surrendered my A when I stopped working.

I doubt that you can do the CDL Hazmat endorsement there.

Bob

6. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Not with a CDL

rcoolbaugh likes this.
  7. drgrant

Yes that has business hours almost as shitty as the regular RMV does, lol. This "bankers hours" garbage has to stop, it's 2018. My bank doesn't even do that shit anymore.

-Mike

8. Mr.E

Mr.E

Many AAA are open Saturday, but it's probably a shat show. AAA is also staffed by a bunch of morons so don't expect any great service. I went to AAA last Wednesday to transfer the title on my new bike and they couldn't do it because some donkey at the RMV put the wrong plate # on my registration. So if you have even the slightest snafu while at AAA their "RMV services" are useless.

drgrant likes this.
  9. drgrant

The RMV just needs to be open on like a tues/weds/thurs night till 8 or something... I just hate burning vacation time at work to deal with rmv bullshit.

10. Greg

Greg NES Member

Pretty sad when a thread has to be created about state employees doing their jobs.

daltrey99, DPR, drgrant and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mr.E

Mr.E

FTFY!

12. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

It will be a LONG time before I ever give these thieves any "credit"

*grumble* *grumble*

13. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

Yup, they used to keep the Worcester RMV open Wednesday night until 7. Boy, the service was amazing when the workers want to get out on time! In and out in a flash!

AHM likes this.
  14. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

The Reading RMV used to be open late in Tuesday or Thursday, Cant remember which. I always been then, and never had a problem. Do they close them all at 5 now?

15. Mr.E

Mr.E

I don't know why RMV's are a breeding ground for some of the most despicable humans in society, but when you accomplish that feat in a city like Worcester it's downright dangerous.

Roadglide likes this.
  16. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

True above, in the worst neighborhood the city has to offer and chock full of, umm, OBama fans.... but they have yet to install metal detectors, so proceed as you see fit

17. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger

I had a similar experience last thursday at the RMV in Lowell. Fed the meter for 1:15 and headed inside to get a plate for a new registration. No one in line. Friendly employee. I was out of there in less than five minutes. It was a little unnerving.

amm5061 likes this.
  18. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Have to agree with OP. My last two visits have been fast and friendly and free.
    Yarmouth is open to 8 on Thursdays, and it is helpful to those who toil for their pittance.

19. bfm

bfm NES Member

Most sites have one night a week that they are open late. Web site is pretty good about hours. Even gives estimated wait times, though those have always been optimistic in my opinion, but I would definitely not both if the list wait time was 2 hours. Even if they list 15 minutes you will be there half an hour usually.

20. snubnose

snubnose

Knuckle Dragger, glad you posted that-when the first one said hello and smiled I was gobsmacked -when the second was nice I got worried and when the lady who processed my renewal also treated me like a human being I was convinced that they all were about to go bonkers. Nearly everyone was young so perhaps the explanation for the treatment is that they have not been at the RMV long enough to develop the foul attitude that many are accustomed to?

Two sets of pics and two sets of prints had to be taken; one for the Haz Mat endorsement and the other for the TWIC, and if I understood correctly DHS only performed the Haz Mat background check another entity did the one for the TWIC.

21. JZ1018

JZ1018 NES Member

A lot of the crabbiness comes from customers coming in with the wrong or improper paperwork and then blaming the employees because they F'd up. My daughter gets yelled at regularly because people don't have the right paperwork or stuff is invalid. If people would just do a little research and bring the right stuff, things would go a lot smoother. Now if you want a really pleasant RMV experience, go to Watertown and ask for Sarah. She will talk guns with you

22. Mr.E

Mr.E

I still think they should all be blown up and everything should be done online.

23. drgrant

One huge problem is the RMV doesn't explain a lot of things on their website. For example I had to spend an hour on hold to try to figure out if i had the right docs from a title transfer from an estate on a line item probate... and even when I showed up at the RMV the stupid bitch was trying to tell me I didn't have the right docs but thankfully this RMV guy I will call "zeke the janitor" overheard the convo and he got her to stop flinging BS at me and set her straight. If that guy wasn't there I would have gotten livid on the spot, as I already wasted like 6+ hours in rmv bullshit to transfer a car.....

-Mike

Koolmoose likes this.
  24. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

Never had a good experience at the RMV. Now any of the things you can do online....

Just renewed my registration last night online and it took 5 minutes. That was good for an hour's wait at the RMV office.

25. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

When I tried to register my little trailer, the branch up near Lowell wouldn’t do it - they were asking for a title (under 3000lb you don’t need one), I went to the Fitchburg branch (near BJs) and no problem. The exact same paperwork I brought to the other registry.

The new Leominster branch is a horror show - I’ll never go back to that one,

26. Mr.E

Mr.E

Par for the course. When I was at the Milford RMV I overheard a conversation between an RMV employee and a women trying to re register her moped. The original employee was telling this moped woman she needed another form and a registration and blah blah and to go home and come back. Luckily a more knowledgeable employee overheard and set her straight. They ran the paperwork she had (which was deemed sufficient for a moped) and the moped women was on her way and all set with her registration.

drgrant likes this.
  27. Slotheadslim

Slotheadslim NES Member

Took my fiancé to the RMV last week for a driver’s license renewal. We filled out the application online so no extra paperwork was needed except for her birth certificate and a printout of the online transaction . There was no waiting to check in, sat down for 5 minutes before she was called and we were out in another 5. We avoided gettting her Real ID. We’ll get her a passport instead. My daughter tried to get Real ID and she was there for 3 hours. They still refused her Real ID with multiple forms of ID including a military ID.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  28. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

A lady at the Pittsfield RMV asked for my phone number.

Apparently she needed it in some official capacity.

“What? Do you want to call me? You can’t call me. You’re nice but I’m married. This is not a good idea.”

AHM likes this.
  29. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

As noted in a prior RMV thread the website is a joke. It does not contain all of the information and was clearly written by someone who: A) doesn't know what's needed themselves or B) assumes that we should know it.
    It is not a reading comprehension issue by the user. It is 100% incomplete information.

30. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I've had OK ones. I've had SURLY ones. Like, REALLY???? If you hate your job, quit. Go somewhere else. But I've never had to register a boat trailer before, so how about you help me out here?