1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Have schools gone completely nutz?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GM-GUY, Jul 18, 2019.

1. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

My daughter is in Marching Band this year, no big deal....yeah right...the meeting they had might as well said it's going to cost you $1000/yr. Band Camp/District/Stick/Uniform/Shoe/and every other fee adds up .

All parents have to complete a CORI (I did that so I expect a Lifelock alert any day now), a SORI (no idea what it stands for) if you do an overnight or trip chaperone deal and everyone needs fingerprints for $35 and have to be done in Leominster.

I replied, nicely, that I object and do not provide personal identifiers unless required by law (think LTC). I don't even give my or my kids SSN to the doctor.

I get a reply that I can't do anything to help then unless I get fingerprinted.

Awesome - malicious compliance engaged; no bake sale, no begging at Walmart, no snack shack.

Bear in mind, this was forced on them by the district (new/interim superintendent) because the last guy left. The last guy who supervised the Jimmy Thunderpants saga - and put the district in line for a big judgement on the lawsuit Jimmy's wife (the former elementary principal fired over this) with badly written/incriminating emails that were released. btw Jimmy Thunderpants case seems to have been broomed as nothing about it is coming up on MassCourts.org and since he was an employee - he was fingerprinted, that worked out well.

I would hope a lot of parents will tell them to get bent, but way too many sheep in the world.

Jason Flare likes this.
  2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

So you're now on the bonus plan! You don't have to be fingerprinted AND they can't call you to "volun-told" to do something. Woot!!!!

Back in my day (mid-80s'), there were 3-4 parents that helped out in marching band a bit. That was it. The rest of the parents dropped us off and picked us up for night practices.

Help??? HELP???? Help with what??? Besides handing out uniforms and collecting them back, there isn't a damned thing an adult is needed for. You need bus drivers. You hire those. You need a band director. Well, let's hope you have that. You need said 3-4 parents to watch over things. Those are the ones that WANT to be there - to be needed. Everything else? The KIDS SHOULD BE DOING THEMSELVES!

It's marching band, not launching the Space Shuttle.

We had 2 overnight trips in my time in band. We did concert band competition in Quebec. And we marched down Main St USA in Disney. Same 4 parents were at the events as mentioned above. We all survived. The real kicker was them cancelling our plane out of Logan and we had to scramble to get 120 people on other planeS to FL that day. We split into two groups and made it with one stop each. That was so long ago that while there was no smoking in school, there WAS smoking on airplanes. Funny stuff.

xjma99 likes this.
  3. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

This band does competitions and games, all needing lots of parents - did I mention they have two 10K trailers each stuffed to the max on every trip?

I love helping the kids, I did film for pop warner, my sons games, scouting others and even other levels when they asked. Rented two vans up front and ran my truck to Florida for my sons Jr Midget pop warner. Started doing film for high school after that (still did the pop warner my daughter cheered at). My son was a freshman and I shot some JV & Varsity, last year every JV & Varsity game home & away. Paid my own gas and entrance fees (home games I got in free).

This just rubs me the wrong way being introduced by an acting superintendent as a my way or the highway deal.

Mountain, drgelinas and fencer like this.
  4. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Short answer: Yes they gone nutz.

BBQ.Uncle and xjma99 like this.
  5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

We did 8-12 competitions a year on the road. Back then, away games weren't a thing except for Thanksgiving. I'm sure like everything else, yesterday's like is today's want. Today's want is tomorrow's NEED.

fencer likes this.
  6. EC1

EC1 NES Member

[rockon][bow]

rcoolbaugh and buckfarack like this.
  7. Picton

Picton NES Member

What do you want to hear?

You said yourself the last super put the town on the hook. Why would you expect the new guy NOT to change things? Of course he’s going to be totally risk-averse. The town and, if necessary, the courts will back him, because 1. what you’re describing is pretty normal practice these days, and 2. nobody’s forcing you to cough up your social. You can always choose not to help, which suits them just fine.

I’m sorry, but it IS his way or the highway. You have to decide now whether your principles are more important than their requirements. Be glad the stakes aren’t higher.

8. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

I feel your pain Gm-Guy, but "it's for the kids"(trademark R symbol).
    I guess there's lots of whack-jobs out there, so they have to screen everyone.
    Not sure what's up with the Finger print thing, our CORI did not require that.
    As learned from here, CORI is like level 1 diagnostic, they just check to make sure you're not a diddler.
    An LTC check is more probing, fingerprints, whatever else.
    So yea when they say I got to fill out a CORI, I'm usually like "well they let me carry a gun, so I figure I should be trusted enough to chaperone a band trip"

9. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Although I understand the desire for a CORI, I've always considered that to be a joke. Maybe because I've worked in LE, but the CORI is very limited as to what it reports back. The SORI is a newer invention and that is the Sex Offender's registry. I don't want to know if a 17 yo got caught banging their 16 yo girlfriend (assuming it was consenual) but don't know to what level it gets reported in a SORI and I would think that a CORI would show anything that would show up in a SORI but I don't have any factual info. They are merely crutches leaned on by legal beagles to think that that will cover their rear ends if someone does something bad.

I agree that anyone with an active LTC should pass without need for a CORI or a SORI. After all "subsequent activity" reports are generated against FID/LTC holders daily, allegedly automated by the court system to the PD that issued the FID/LTC to take action against anyone who was charged with a crime. However, because "gunzz" that will never get someone a pass on the CORI/SORI demands in MA.

10. Coyote33

Coyote33

My kid has been very into soccer, playing since three years old through 8th grade. He was going to try out for the high school team. Starting around the end of June, they started bombarding him with information and requirements. Not only does it want to take away from summer vacation time, it puts tremendous pressure on the kids. He has decided he no longer wants to play soccer, as it isn't any fun any more. He loves fishing, and will continue with that. He also likes skiing. He has asked me about boxing, which I am trying to get him going with for the remainder of the summer.

If only the schools put as much effort into education and scholastics as they do the sports.

whatluck, tuna, Christian and 3 others like this.
  11. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

The other thing is the band members are exempt. So my soon to be 12yo daughter, mixing with 18yo isn’t an issue. My daughter can and has passed for 16yo,(my now 16yo son was going to be served alcohol at Olive Garden as an aside).

Risk averse is one thing, but this crazy stuff on one side and PC letting boys in girls bathrooms/locker rooms can’t be reconciled.

This x1000 - have to keep up the extra curriculars, meanwhile English classes are reading comics.

12. Coyote33

Coyote33

So, you are off the hook. No need to help them. Let them "do band", and help themselves!

Did you tell them to get bent?

When I was a kid playing soccer, the parents would alternate who would drive. You'd pile 10 kids into a station wagon, and off you go. I understand the laws change the logistics, but there is no reason it can't happen just in a different ratio.

Why are bands doing "overnight trips"? Aren't they there to support the football team, or for plays/concerts/etc.?

I say start a separate band in town. Find a space, let them practice, and march around. Have them all wear the same color t-shirts, and call it a day. I bet you'd get more participants than you think. Maybe you can convince the music teacher to take this as a job paid on the side by parents kicking in 20 bucks each or something. Gotta think outside the box.

Christian likes this.
  13. Picton

Picton NES Member

In many towns, the two are pretty separate. A separate administrator manages the sports, MIAA regulates eligibility, and in a WHOLE lotta towns around here, sports are no longer funded by the town.

Where I teach, there's a constant adversarial relationship between the AD and the HS Principal.

14. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

TL;DR But yes

15. Coyote33

Coyote33

Davis at Rockets' helm as Auburn High athletic director

“I just hope I don’t mess things up. I’m coming into a pretty good situation.”
    "Mr. Davis, who has over 300 career baseball coaching victories, and now scouts part-time for the Cincinnati Reds, lives in Hudson and is a member of the Hudson School Committee."

16. Mr.E

Mr.E

It's times like these when I'm thankful for not having children..

BBQ.Uncle, Gak44, drgrant and 2 others like this.
  17. AHM

AHM NES Member

Not you, but sometimes it seems...

Sigh.

dingbat and Tinkermatic like this.
  18. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

About this band camp....

19. fencer

fencer NES Member

Wait, wut?

A thousand dollars? Your town suuuuucks.

( kidding )

xjma99 likes this.
  20. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

That's $1000 that the town will not be taking from other people by force to subsidize your kid's recreation/college resume builder.

Kevin_NH, BBQ.Uncle, Jason m and 2 others like this.
  21. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Guess you wont be needing that new truck to haul their trailer anymore.

xjma99 and eisenhow like this.
  22. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

$450 for camp, $300 for District Fees, the rest is nickel & dime ($20 here, $50 there) but yes $1000 is a safe bet.

That is correct about the truck - not much inspiration/desire to do it now.

23. jefftk

jefftk

This is the same reason I gave up on getting/maintaining various instructor credentials, i.e. boy scouts, usa archery, etc...
    Considering the multitude of data breaches of personal information in the not too distant past, I'm not handing out personal information unless there is a significant benefit.

24. fencer

fencer NES Member

No, the town will still take $1000 by force and spend it on something else, that may or may not be worth while. I don't remember anyone asking me when our town spent a couple thousand dollars to put out a diversity display for pride month, or when they spent tens of thousands to paint the cross walks in town with the school colors, which lasted less than a month.

Coyote33 likes this.
  25. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

True. It isn't like everyone's property tax bill went down by 85c because GM-Guy's kid's school charged the fees versus absorbing them.

I'm sure sports have fees too. At some point there will be a big backlash from the "poor" parents who can't afford it. Then it'll all revert back to the schools. The taxes will go up and people will demand more and more of these items just to be paid.

Sort of like how a limited "school lunch" program in the 1970's morphed into "free food 3x/day or more for all kids" in schools today. With a desire to help kids, they've effectively enabled parents, raised taxes by millions and haven't actually SOLVED a problem. Oh, and even the "poor" families in about 99% of America can afford a breakfast and lunch for Jr.

Sorry. Going tangential.

fencer likes this.
  26. Picton

Picton NES Member

I hope you're not holding your breath. My school's athletics have been funded exclusively from user fees since 2003 and there's been nary a whisper of a complaint. Families are pretty blind to spending where Junior's budding football or hockey career is concerned.

27. Mr.E

Mr.E

Thank Christ for this. Tired of people being on welfare (ie. public schools)

28. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

public schools are welfare? you win dumbest comment of the year

rali likes this.
  29. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

In response to the OP’s question: yes.

mibro, whalerman69 and fencer like this.
  30. Mr.E

Mr.E

Explain to me how having other people in your city or town paying for your child’s education is not welfare? What’s the difference if my taxes go towards someone else’s SNAP card or someone else’s tuition? Both are a subsidy to cover costs that the grantee should be paying by themselves.

KBCraig likes this.