Have people seen any Winchester 1897s around?

I see about a dozen every gun show. $1,200??? I’d sell mine for that. Lol

usually 400-600.

Slamfire is a waste. Never seen someone do it well. It makes a smooth 97 run like a run over 590.

Holy crap, I can't believe how many of those guns went for near or below the low estimates!
I imagine this was because of low bidder turnout due to the quarantine.

Yeah, gun shows are a waste of time if you're looking for deals, but auctions can be great. You really need to read the descriptions, but Amoskeag does a good job of it.

Is it really a “slam fire” or are they holding the trigger when they rack the slide? My Model 12 does it, but you have to hold the trigger so you are essentially just overriding the disconnector.
As I understand it, there was no disconnector in either the 1897 or in earlier Model 12s. If there's a disconnector, holding down the trigger and closing the slide will not fire; the trigger needs to be released and depressed again for it to fire.

I presume those pics were facetious?

It does work well on the skeet field, I did it for years with a mod 12.

Closing the action 90% of the way and then slamming it on a skeet field is a lot different that some tubby guy trying to run 5 shots of 00Buck through his 97 without having to pull the trigger multiple times. The 97 requires a slight PUSH of the slide in order to release. Slamfiring means you've got constant back-pressure on the slide, never allowing it to unlock. Ergo people struggle-bus with it.

As if running the thing and pulling the trigger is THAT hard to do. You're not gonna go Bob Munden on the thing, so it's a waste. ;)

Closing the action 90% of the way and then slamming it on a skeet field is a lot different than some tubby guy trying to run 5 shots of 00Buck through his 97 without having to pull the trigger multiple times.
Are 'slim' guys effected too...? Just askin'... [rofl2]

a lot of the old Ithaca 37s will slam fire as well. And used to be available pretty cheap. If that is the “feature” you seek.

I carried a slam fire Ithaca 37 in VN...it got the attention it deserved. I've looked around for an authentic one and found nearly all the riot shotguns were handed over to the Vietnamese. A few found their way home in footlockers...but prices back 20 years ago were $6K and up for a correct military model.

Last week I threw a bid on GBer on a civilian Model 37...maybe 70% condition. I figured a top bid for me of $860, by the time the smoke cleared it sold for @$6300.....

Back
Top Bottom