• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Have a garbage gun? Bring it to Leominster 12/17

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_4704711

I can't believe their doing this crap here. But since they are, throw a monkey wrench into the works if you can. Bring a garbage gun, and try to get a card for Dick's or Walmart. Bring it there, and turn it into ammo or another gun-related item. Wish I had a junker.....\

-----------------------------------------------

Police offering gun buybacks
By J.J. Huggins
Sentinel & Enterprise
Article Launched:11/22/2006 10:57:43 AM EST

LEOMINSTER -- The police department is holding its first ever gun-buyback program next month, with help from a local business.

People can bring guns to the police station at 29 Church St. on Sunday, Dec. 17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Police will not check to see if the people handing in the guns have a license to carry, according to Capt. Thomas J. Bisol.

"No identification will be asked for, no names taken," Bisol said during an interview in his office Tuesday.

Officers will give $75 gift cards for semi-automatic weapons, $50 for handguns and $25 for "long guns," which are firearms like rifles and shotguns, Bisol said.

Ramsey Rehab, a company based in Leominster and Fitchburg, is sponsoring the program.

The gift cards will be for stores like Target, Dick's Sporting Goods and Wal-Mart, according to Ed Ramsey, the owner of the company.

Ramsey came up with the idea for a gun buyback after he heard about how successful the program was in Worcester.

"So I was thinking, why not in Leominster and Fitchburg," Ramsey said.

Police know many people have guns illegally, Bisol said.

Sometimes people will inherit a gun they don't want, or they move into a house and find one that the previous owner left behind, the captain noted.

But once the person has the gun, they're responsible for it, Bisol said.

"With gun ownership comes the responsibility of safely storing that gun to keep it out of the hands of a child," Bisol said.

The police also want to make sure illicit guns don't end up on the street, Bisol said.

But even legal gun owners can turn in guns in exchange for gift certificates, Bisol said.

The guns have to be operable.

Police will not accept broken guns or things like pellet guns, Bisol said.

The police will have the weapons destroyed, Bisol said.

Ramsey's company is in its tenth year in business, and every year they sponsor some kind of charity, he said.

"We do not have a problem with guns or gun owners, we just want to make the community safer," he said.

Workers at Ramsey Rehab, located at 39 Cinema Blvd. in Leominster and 33 Electric Ave. in Fitchburg, focus on health, physical therapy and preventing injuries, Ramsey said.

The point of the gun buyback is to help stop illegal guns from causing harm, according to Ramsey.

"My whole company is based on prevention, so this is just another aspect of that," he said.

Police ask that people turning over guns bring them to the station unloaded and wrapped in a bag.

If a person wants to take advantage of the program and doesn't want to go to the police station, they can call the police and an officer will retrieve the gun from the person, Bisol said.

People seeking more information can call the officer in charge at 978-534-7560, ext. 305.

Last edited:
God, I hate the fact you can't edit the subject line in this freakin' software. Serves me right for throwing back a few to celebrate the long weekend before getting online.

There, I hijacked my own thread.....

I L-O-V-E this!! "Ramsey came up with the idea for a gun buyback after he heard about how successful the program was in Worcester."

What is the "success" based on? Drop in crime rates . . . OR the fact that it cost the taxpayers thousands of dollars in donations to scumbags?!?!?

They should rename the program "Gifts for Scums"

The crime rates in Boston or Worcester have not dropped one iota as a result of these "buybacks!" folks.

Sigh.... What a waste of money and resources.... I'm shocked that i's Leominster falling for this BS...

God, I hate the fact you can't edit the subject line in this freakin' software. Serves me right for throwing back a few to celebrate the long weekend before getting online.

There, I hijacked my own thread.....

You can...just edit your own posting and then click on the edit button that appears under your message while you're in edit mode. This will let you edit the subject line.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_4704711

I can't believe their doing this crap here. But since they are, throw a monkey wrench into the works if you can. Bring a garbage gun, and try to get a card for Dick's or Walmart. Bring it there, and turn it into ammo or another gun-related item. Wish I had a junker.....\

-----------------------------------------------

Police offering gun buybacks
By J.J. Huggins
Sentinel & Enterprise
Article Launched:11/22/2006 10:57:43 AM EST

LEOMINSTER -- The police department is holding its first ever gun-buyback program next month, with help from a local business.

People can bring guns to the police station at 29 Church St. on Sunday, Dec. 17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Police will not check to see if the people handing in the guns have a license to carry, according to Capt. Thomas J. Bisol.

"No identification will be asked for, no names taken," Bisol said during an interview in his office Tuesday.

Officers will give $75 gift cards for semi-automatic weapons, $50 for handguns and $25 for "long guns," which are firearms like rifles and shotguns, Bisol said.

Ramsey Rehab, a company based in Leominster and Fitchburg, is sponsoring the program.

The gift cards will be for stores like Target, Dick's Sporting Goods and Wal-Mart, according to Ed Ramsey, the owner of the company.

Ramsey came up with the idea for a gun buyback after he heard about how successful the program was in Worcester.

"So I was thinking, why not in Leominster and Fitchburg," Ramsey said.

Police know many people have guns illegally, Bisol said.

Sometimes people will inherit a gun they don't want, or they move into a house and find one that the previous owner left behind, the captain noted.

But once the person has the gun, they're responsible for it, Bisol said.

"With gun ownership comes the responsibility of safely storing that gun to keep it out of the hands of a child," Bisol said.

The police also want to make sure illicit guns don't end up on the street, Bisol said.

But even legal gun owners can turn in guns in exchange for gift certificates, Bisol said.

The guns have to be operable.

Police will not accept broken guns or things like pellet guns, Bisol said.

The police will have the weapons destroyed, Bisol said.

Ramsey's company is in its tenth year in business, and every year they sponsor some kind of charity, he said.

"We do not have a problem with guns or gun owners, we just want to make the community safer," he said.

Workers at Ramsey Rehab, located at 39 Cinema Blvd. in Leominster and 33 Electric Ave. in Fitchburg, focus on health, physical therapy and preventing injuries, Ramsey said.

The point of the gun buyback is to help stop illegal guns from causing harm, according to Ramsey
"My whole company is based on prevention, so this is just another aspect of that," he said.

Police ask that people turning over guns bring them to the station unloaded and wrapped in a bag.

If a person wants to take advantage of the program and doesn't want to go to the police station, they can call the police and an officer will retrieve the gun from the person, Bisol said.

People seeking more information can call the officer in charge at 978-534-7560, ext. 305.

Safer?? Safer for who.....the criminals who can now prey on a disarmed public with even less fear of being confronted by an armed citizen?

If these braindead individuals could only see the irony and stupidity of their actions.[rolleyes]

$25 for a long gun ? Anyone in the area should stake out the parking lot and watch ... Excuse me , Sir. I'll give you $50 for that M1 ...

What's to stop someone from holding a big sign in the parking lot that says " Show 'em to me First " ?

Hey folks
Got a gun that you killed some one with? Come on down and trade it in, get a nice gift card (maybe you can buy a knife, much easier to clean after stabing someone). We will guarantee you that your murder weapon will be destroyed (much better then throwing it in the river, think of the environment, all that rust in the river, not good for the little fishes. At least concrete shoes the fish get a dinner, that why they like those people they always think of the environment). With your weapon destroyed, we woun't have to spend time trying to solve it because we can't find the murder weapon. This frees up time to go after law abiding people because they follow the law and it just makes it so much easier to find them. Nervous about coming down by your self, bring the whole gang down so that every one can get a gift card. And after you go and spend the gift card you will have already cased the place and it will make it much easier for you and the gang to come back after hours when there aren't as many peolpe around and then you can get what you really want, some new sneakers, maybe that flat screen TV for you pad, or a belt to hold up your pants (it makes it much easier to run from thing when they are up and not falling down around your knees). So come one come all, but please don't wear your colors, we don't want a gang war here, it just takes up to much time filling out the paper work later. So for one day the "MAN" is your friend (and you don't even have to pay him off).

I think that if they put it in the paper this way they might get a better response.

$25 for a long gun ? Anyone in the area should stake out the parking lot and watch ... Excuse me , Sir. I'll give you $50 for that M1 ...

What's to stop someone from holding a big sign in the parking lot that says " Show 'em to me First " ?

I was thinking the same thing!!! I bet some nice pump guns and hunting rifles will go to thier death that day.

I say we host an NES gun buyback!

A gift certificate good at Dicks Sporting Goods? [smile]

Nahhhh... there's gotta be a catch... there just has to be. [wink]

The problem with these dumbass buybacks, is wether theyre taxpayer
or private sponsored, is they end up netting all the guns nobody
cares about. They probably net more heirlooms from grandpa that
some hoplophobe doesnt want around their house more than anything
else. The criminals clearly are not lining up to turn theirs
in, thats for sure. Hell, the prices theyre offering are probably lower
than the street price of the guns.

I'm thinking about writing ramsey a letter about how misguided sponsoring
something like this is. There are far better "charities" money could be
spent on than this crap.

-Mike

The point of the gun buyback is to help stop illegal guns from causing harm, according to Ramsey.
No. The purpose of buybacks is to condition the public into believing that a civilian posession of firearms is so bad that paying people not to posess guns is worthy public policy. It also implies the gun came from the government since they are getting it "back". A handgun "buyback" is no more a buyback than a consumer purchasing a car from a dealer is "a buyback" from the dealer.

Take your junky guns down there - get the Dicks' gift certificate - and tell them you are going down to Dicks' to buy a new shotgun[smile]

Rofl... if only I had some junkers. I would do exactly that, but only after
I had the coupon in my pocket. Then I'd say to the officer. Thanks a
lot- you know where I'm going now, right? "I'm going to dicks to buy a
new rifle to replace that one!"

-Mike

I was thinking the same thing!!! I bet some nice pump guns and hunting rifles will go to thier death that day.

I say we host an NES gun buyback!

I'm assuming the police would not appreciate a table of opportunists. But could they do anything besides ask you to leave? Could you stand on a public sidewalk with a sign and not be harassed by the police?

And would there be legal ramifications to conducting an FTF transaction with some anon donor? I'm thinking that if you could get them to fill out the paperwork it'd be OK.

I live close enough to Leominster to consider participating it if it'd be on solid legal ground. Am I crazy?

And would there be legal ramifications to conducting an FTF transaction with some anon donor? I'm thinking that if you could get them to fill out the paperwork it'd be OK.

Isn't there some provision in the law that says the "seller" has to be an
LTC/FID holder though?

The obvious thing would be to take the gun and then just check off
the registration box on an FA-10 and send it in, but I would gather
that is NOT legal except under a very very limited set of
circumstances.

-Mike

It would be interesting to research the legality of this, though. Imagine -- a big group of NES'ers could go from Gun Buyback to Gun Buyback, Westboro Baptist Church style, every time one come up. Heh!

Why not set up a table that says "Free gun apprasial"? Have people stop in before they bring the gun to the buy back and you can tell them what there gun is really worth. Then give them a card of a gun store that you have already talk to and tell them to go down there and they will give you this much for your gun. This way the buy back is getting the crapy guns and the person that has the expensive gun is getting what there gun should be worth. You my not be getting guns for $25-$75, but at least the people bring the guns down aren't getting screwed.

Rob Boudrie noticed something that has been itching in the back of my brain for a while now: "Buyback."

Now there is a beautiful piece of psychological propaganda. - Sell it Back to the Government , the Government really owns these - I don't really have any business with guns - I am not supposed to have this - and even if it's okay they are nicely telling me that it's time to shut off this whole 2nd ammendment mistake - guns are for trained professionals ... It's all a big misunderstanding. Take this coupon down to the toystore and get yourself a nice fishing rod - that's a good boy , run along now - all is forgiven.

Back
Top Bottom