• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Have a family death related question...

My wife's uncle recently passed away and his nephew from New Hampshire is the executor of his estate from what I understand.

Her uncle owned a few firearms, and seeing that his nephew is from NH might be unfamiliar with our gun laws here in Mass, my question is if he decides to keep the firearms does he need to transfer them to NH through an FFL or just take them as any gun owner would, locked in a case back to NH?

I don't think he's gone through his uncle's belongings yet and I don't want him to be surprised or do something that's against our Byzantine laws here, so I was hoping to have the correct answer for him when I inform him of the firearms.

Last edited:
Executor of an estate is (by MA and Fed Law) entitled to just pack them up and move them across state lines him/herself with NO FFLs involved. The executor can also ship them directly to anyone named in the will to receive them, no FFL required. Receiver (if in MA) must have a proper license (FID/LTC) to receive them and file FA-10s as REGISTRATION (no source info). If he gets to keep them in NH, there is no paperwork required at all, except perhaps to the court on the disposition of assets (like any other assets, not because they are guns).

Back
Top Bottom