1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Hatred for squirrels?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by one-eyed Jack, Jun 27, 2019.

1. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Why? I like them. Each afternoon my bird Megan and I make a martini and sit out in the sun room in the back yard. My yard is unkept and overgrown compared to the others around me so I have good cover for the critters. I spread out black oil sunflower seed. They all show up. Squirrels, gray and red, chipmunks and my three bunnies. And some birds. The skunks come at nite for any leftovers from my meals. Megan preens and I drink. Don't get me wrong, I love wild game for food. The families in NH and AK harvest a LOT of deer, moose, turkeys, bear etc. We just kill only what we intend to eat. Jack.

2. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

They don't bother me, they are just trying to survive... if they are hitting your bird feeder you need to get a better feeder...and even then they are ingenious animals and will find a way to overcome most obstacles to food .

Now if they are in your attic, or rabid, well you do what you have to do, but they have given me and my dogs many hours of fun.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  3. DPR

DPR NES Member

Squirrels, they stay out in the yard so no problem. Chipmunks though are the mother f'n Antichrist. Last year, after tunneling under my brick walk and then trying to make a home in my home I had to take action. Although small arms and booby traps resulted in consistently good body counts chipmunk activity seemed to increase. Strategic gas attacks on their burrows finally slowed them down.....or so I thought. They must have used the winter to increase troop strength and prepare for the upcoming season since they're back and in greater numbers. Doubling the number of traps has resulted in an increased body count but the mice appear to have joined forces with them. Their low number makes me wonder if they're just rodent mercenaries or some type of SF advisers assisting the chipmunks. I've been stockpiling gas bombs in preparation for a future offensive.

4. Stryker

Stryker NES Member

I don't mind squirrels and chipmunks, but boy are they feeding the family of foxes that moved in this year.

5. new guy

new guy NES Member

We're seeing foxes everywhere these days. I hadn't seen one around here up until the past year or two.

Like DPR says, squirrels are cool, but chipmunks are mfers and are out of control this year. The bucket o' death is the best and easiest way to make short work of them.

DPR likes this.
  6. Malodave

Malodave

There are all black Squirrels in Niagara Falls, NY and some other location has all white Squirrels.

Malodave

quincy likes this.
  7. 1903Collector

1903Collector NES Member

Nothing but rodents with good PR!

8. cams

cams NES Member

I don’t mind any of those animals out in my yard, maybe I’m getting soft in my old age but I enjoy sitting and watching them like Jack does.

Family of 5 squirrels in one big tree, they all sit around eating together, I’m trying to figure out the signs of the tail flapping so I understand better signs of a threat to them or all quiet type of stuff. Crazy I know but wtf I’m old and bored. They love peanut butter pretzels and crack them open like nuts to lick the PB. Got a few chipmunks, 4 rabbits, a coyote, couple big hawks, we can all live together as long as they behave and don’t mess with my stuff.

commodon likes this.
  9. whatluck

whatluck

We get turkey, deer, raccoons, some big coyotes, skunks, but the only animals I really hate are the canadian geese. Those things can go extinct for all I care.

10. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Not all parrots enjoy having squirrels around...

11. zboys

zboys NES Member

Chipmunks and birds are enjoyable to watch eating around my feeders, Squirrels just eat the plastic and empty the feeders in no time, they get 10-15 pumps from the crossman 760

12. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I don't have bird feeders. Everyone eats off the ground and they all get along. Jack.

zboys likes this.
  13. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

'munks and 'chucks must die. My backyard has turned into an NVA tunnel system.

cockpitbob, Kevin_NH and DPR like this.
  14. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

hate those tree rats.
    they chewed into my attic, despite 3 repairs, and even hardware cloth nailed underneath the soffit.

trapped or terminated on site with extreme prejudice, same with chipmunks.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Cowgirlup likes this.
  15. cams

cams NES Member

Well hell you should feel right at home then. lol WP

lowbuckbob likes this.
  16. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

All tree rats must die.
    Before I went on a squirrel jihad I had a dozen at a whack on my deck thanks to my neighbor feeding the damn things.
    I eliminated 50 in a four month period.
    The last straw was when the little bastards destroyed a fairly expensive blown glass hummingbird feeder I had bought the wife.

17. rocket500

rocket500 NES Member

There are never any squirrels in my yard

18. Win

Win NES Member

My kids and I put out peanuts (in the shell) in the back yard before our dinner each night and enjoy watching the squirrels and chipmunks run around trying to find them like their own nightly Easter Egg hunt while we eat dinner and discuss the day. Surprisingly to me anyway, blu-jays love peanuts. So they swoop in and grab a few peanuts as well.

commodon and zboys like this.
  19. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname

I use two Yankee spinner bird feeders. The squirrels learn quickly that they just can't get on the feeders and now we all get along fine. I'll sit in a lawn chair and share peanuts with them. They're fast learners. After about a week or so all I have to do is sit in the chair and six or seven of them will show up and beg for their handouts. One of them hops up on my lap.
    The small female I call Squirrely Temple, the large black one is James Squirrel Jones, and the goofy old one that barely survived the hawk attack and is about half retarded is Liz Warren.

20. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Plutzing.gif

Mike Stanton likes this.
  21. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Guy two doors up from me asked me why there are no squirrels in my yard. I told him they don't live there. He was confused and then explained that he just spent 3K for electrical damage caused by squirrels. I then said that is why they don't live in my yard. I think he is getting the message.

JayMcB likes this.
  22. grey

grey

I liked squirrels. I wasnt bothered by them or minded what they did until one day they turned their attention to my house. It's hard to quantify squirrel populations but it's much higher than I would've ever guessed. In the burbs that is. I'm willing to bet its many times higher than the middle of the woods. I've lost count long ago but I do know how many boxes of .22 quiets I've gone through

23. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Same here. We're overrun with chipmunks and they've destroyed my red brick sidewalk.

I've been trapping them with those plastic Tomcat rat traps. This summer my trap-line is 3 traps along the stone wall that parallels the sidewalk, just 30' from the house. So far, with only casual effort I've sent 36 to compost the woods but I can tell I haven't made much of a dent in the population.

Every couple of years I pull about 100 bricks from the walkway and fill in the low spots. I can't believe 2 different contractors quoted $9K just to pull all the bricks, re-build the bedding and put it back together[angry2]. Maybe I'll do that a year before we sell and down-size, but if I do it now it will be flushing $9K down a rodent hole as I'm sure it will be undulating within 3 years.

ETA: If you do the rat traps, moor the trap to something with para-cord. Some predator was carrying off my traps. Some mornings I'll find a trap sprung but empty. Clearly something pulled my catch out of the trap. Those aren't confirmed kills so they aren't in my body count of 36.

24. teaser452

teaser452

Reminds me of a story my buddy told me.

Few years ago, he’s up in Canada with some friends. They’re there for duck hunting. But for whatever reason, they skipped a morning. So, my buddy grabs his kid and they head out to shoot squirrels.

They come back with a dozen squirrels later in the day.

His Canada friends say “ we eat what we shoot”. Which I find admirable. So he and his son skin and gut and then cook the squirrels.

He said they were quite tasty. Never eaten a squirrel myself. But I imagine they are.

Another story. Back in college at UMass Amherst, had a professor spend an entire hour and 15 minutes bitching about all the red squirrels in his backyard and how they wrecked everything. I’ll never get that hour and 15 minutes back.

25. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Get one of them bastards inside your roof/attic and we'll see how much you like them.

Mike Stanton and JayMcB like this.
  26. Coda

Coda NES Member

Last year I had one chew a hole in a screen and get into my house!!! Luckily I was home and heard a racket in my kitchen, captured him with a net before he could do any damage. Had I not been home and had he been trapped in the house all day I cannot imagine the damage. Damage I would have been on the hook for because of that “vermin” insurance loophole.

But I live in the middle of the woods so I have learned to coexist with the wildlife since they were here before me. It is when they try to come in my house I have to draw the line, I had a Black Bear try to crawl through a kitchen window. Again I was home and able to “discourage” him before he entered. Trashed the window, the trim, some cedar siding and ripped a 2x6 comer board off the side of my house. But bears are not vermin so my homeowners covered it, go figure.

27. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

chipmunks get the crossman, squirrels are left alone for eating when SHTF

28. rcoolbaugh

rcoolbaugh

Our squirrel population has dropped dramatically ever since the bobcat has moved into the neighborhood! I used to see lots of them in the yard, now I'm lucky to see one.

29. Koolmoose

Koolmoose NES Member

Other side of the bridges behind the iron curtain
    Low squirrel population due to hawk population (we think). We use to see fox but none recently. We’re overrun with chipmunks. I been averaging about 50 captures a year. I think their breeding cycle is pretty fast. Every year I catch 3-4 Godzilla type chipmunks that are the size of small squirrels. We also use poison smoke bombs and these plastic cone things filled with seeds.
    I’d spend $’s on a Rodenator except for the location of the gas’s line and damage to the irrigation system.

30. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

snake.jpg

You can see this guy with the remains of a frog hanging out of his month. He is also keeping the mouse and chipmunk population down....so he can stay around....

Mike Stanton likes this.