Has anyone used EchoLink

Remsport Mfg

NES Member
I have been verified and have set up EchoLink with a mic on my computer. I have tried to make some contacts, however all I have connected to have been repeaters. I have not contacted a live person yet. How do I make contact and what do I do when I contact a repeater? I still haven't purchased a radio, however I have been looking for some vintage tube stuff. I have tube stereo equipment and have been around tube stuff for a while. I would also consider some newer solid state, however older transceivers like Kenwood, Yeasu, or Icom. There seems to be a lot of older stuff out there. Does anyone have any recommendations on this older HF equipment? For the time being I just would like to make some contacts on EchoLink.
Any help would be appreciated.
John
KC1ABV

WB1GOF-R is pretty active in the afternoon. When you connect/disconnect to a repeater (at least on the Westford one) the system announces you. Then you can talk to anyone on the repeater just as if you were transmitting from a local radio.
KB1ZVR

Last edited:
Yup, once you are connected to the repeater it's just like using a radio...except there is usually a 1-2 second delay which can stumble conversations.

I have Verizon FIOS at home and it took forever to get Echolink working properly. Eventually I learned that I had to change my router from Port-Forwarding to Port-Switching (or do I have that backwards?). Anyway, be advised that Echolink can appear to work but can still give odd behavior unless you have everything set up perfect.

Used to have it set up on an older machine when I was volunteering for the Red Cross. I am not claiming to know for sure, but it seems like all echo link com would have to go though a repeater and then routed into the echo link system. I suspect that signals need to be converted to digital somewhere along the way as well.

Once you have Echolink running scroll down the list of users and double click on stations listed as ON in the index on the left column...you will connect... press the space bar on your keyboard to activate the press to talk as if you were using your mic. Use you call sign as you would using using a regular radio. You can search for call signs by clicking on the binocular icon at the top of the screen...If you see K1HBW on...feel free to connect....

Thanks this gives me a better understanding of the system. As far as how to use the system I got the basics from the EchoLink user menu, however thank you for the review ICary. I did not pick up on the use of the binocular that was a very helpful tip.
The system seems to be set and working correctly. I will give it another try today.

Back
Top Bottom