• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone tried this for a reloading bench?

So I am looking to get a workbench, hopefully this weekend. I am not all to great when it comes to working with wood to construct a bench as I lack tools and space to work in. I was browsing the AR15 reloading bench picture thread and some users seemed to be using these:

0040635885969_A

Ultra Heavy-Duty Workbench - Sam's Club

Unfortunately it is to long for the space that I have (about 60" long is my absolute limit right now) and so I cannot go that route. In the related items section I saw this:

0001764120247_A

Seville Classics Lighted Hardwood Top Workbench - Sam's Club

This is shorter so I think it might work. Also it has a pegboard which I wanted to do anyways to organize my tools that will be used regularly. A light and cheap powerstrip are a couple more bonuses there. Has anyone used one of these or checked them out in person for the purpose of reloading? I figured I should be able to mount the press easily since it has a wooden top and hopefully a vise also without cramping me for space to work and reload.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

The last time I was at COSTCO they had similar units. They were very nicely made albeit a bit pricey.

If you can straight cut a 2x4 and rip a piece of plywood, these might be worth a look:

2 x 4 Basics

Be aware that any bench that narrow front to back will tend to want to tilt toward you when forcing the press to do heavy processes (such as full length sizing .30-06 brass). The solution is to fasten a cleat to the wall against which the bench will fit just above the height of the bench top, so that the bench top is trapped at the rear under the cleat. This will prevent the tendency to tilt forward.

If you're running an electronic powder scale, you may have trouble with interference from the fluorescent light, but you can always use something else when doing that part.

The last time I was at COSTCO they had similar units. They were very nicely made albeit a bit pricey.

If you can straight cut a 2x4 and rip a piece of plywood, these might be worth a look:

2 x 4 Basics

My biggest problem with that is I live in an apartment, and really have no place to work on it. If I were to make it somewhere else then I would run into the problem that it would need to fit in my Jeep Cherokee for transport. I got my reloading press about a year ago but have procrastinated on getting everything set up, all I need is a bench. I am now getting anxious to get it all set up and cranking out ammo haha.

If you're running an electronic powder scale, you may have trouble with interference from the fluorescent light, but you can always use something else when doing that part.

Hmmm.... I would have to turn the light off when using that I guess. I have a Hornady AP so I will only be using the scale to double check my drops for the most part.

Black & Decker Workmate is very steady. It folds up flat and stores in a small closet. I bolted my single-stage presses to pieces of oak, and C-clamp them to the Workmate when I need them.

2 x 4 Basics

Doesn't help the OP (see other post), but I will second these for anybody who has the space. I built my workbench on that kit and it came out pretty nice. Holds a lot of weight. I only wish I had the space for a second one [grin]

This is the bench I use. It's a nice depth of counter surface, I split the one I had before it, it's now just extra counter space. I think that one was 1.25" and this one I think is 1.75". As for tilting, I anchored it to the wall studs and it doesn't move. Great value for the money. It is very long. You could fit 2 or 3 presses on it if it's the same one I bought at Sams, 7 feet. I think I paid $200.

I'm refering to the first one in the original post.

So I am looking to get a workbench, hopefully this weekend. I am not all to great when it comes to working with wood to construct a bench as I lack tools and space to work in. I was browsing the AR15 reloading bench picture thread and some users seemed to be using these:

0040635885969_A

Ultra Heavy-Duty Workbench - Sam's Club

Unfortunately it is to long for the space that I have (about 60" long is my absolute limit right now) and so I cannot go that route. In the related items section I saw this:

0001764120247_A

Seville Classics Lighted Hardwood Top Workbench - Sam's Club

This is shorter so I think it might work. Also it has a pegboard which I wanted to do anyways to organize my tools that will be used regularly. A light and cheap powerstrip are a couple more bonuses there. Has anyone used one of these or checked them out in person for the purpose of reloading? I figured I should be able to mount the press easily since it has a wooden top and hopefully a vise also without cramping me for space to work and reload.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I have used a bench similar to the shorter one in my garage. Big problem is that it was pretty light and thus unstable. This bench should be attached to the floor and wall for stability. Unfortunately, most reloading presses exert a lot of force on the bench.

Doesn't help the OP (see other post), but I will second these for anybody who has the space. I built my workbench on that kit and it came out pretty nice. Holds a lot of weight. I only wish I had the space for a second one [grin]
Same here - I just built mine this weekend from a leftover piece of 3/4 sheathing, a few 2x4s and one 2x6. Trust me when I tell you I am not a good carpenter, but this came out pretty well and had a total cost of about $15 because I already had the top.

Depending on you space and mounting opptions a grinder stand or steel post like this
ultimatereloader.com/.../Hornady-Lock-N-Load-AP-Steel-Stand-Plan...
My space is small so at first I used a small rolling kitchen island prep center that I screwed directly into the wall to keep it steady. I only did shotgun on this so I cant say how well it would be for cartridge reloading.
Target Mobile Site - Kitchen Armoire - White basically what I used. I found itcurb side. The wheels where junk. Also solid doors make for a great bench top.
Harbor frieght had a decent wood bench for short money last year. My carpenter buddy bought one as he said you cant buy the wood and hardware for that price.
Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers basically the same unit but his has 1/2 length draws. Only thing he did was a few angle pieces to support the legs a bit better.

Depending on you space and mounting opptions a grinder stand or steel post like this
ultimatereloader.com/.../Hornady-Lock-N-Load-AP-Steel-Stand-Plan...
My space is small so at first I used a small rolling kitchen island prep center that I screwed directly into the wall to keep it steady. I only did shotgun on this so I cant say how well it would be for cartridge reloading.
Target Mobile Site - Kitchen Armoire - White basically what I used. I found itcurb side. The wheels where junk. Also solid doors make for a great bench top.
Harbor frieght had a decent wood bench for short money last year. My carpenter buddy bought one as he said you cant buy the wood and hardware for that price.
Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers basically the same unit but his has 1/2 length draws. Only thing he did was a few angle pieces to support the legs a bit better.

Good information, i will take that into consideration, and that site is great also I hadn't found that one yet.

I found another bench that I think will work and posted it in another thread. The person selling it has five of them I think.

Good information, i will take that into consideration, and that site is great also I hadn't found that one yet.

I found another bench that I think will work and posted it in another thread. The person selling it has five of them I think.

Which thread?

My loading bench is kind of a custom job. Very rough but works well. It's similar to one of those 2x4 basics kits. Just 2x4's and a sheet of plywood ripped in half. I also lag bolted it to the studs in the wall for extra stability. I'll take some picks here shortly.

I use B&D Workmates in my classes.

Eddie, how do you have them set up? I was thinking of gluing and screwing two pieces of 0.75" plywood 3x3ft then screwing a 2x6 down the center with a half inch groove along the base to catch the clamp of the table and then bolt the press (rock chucker) to the plywood. Is that overkill?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Here's another go at it. Found slightly better pictures.
IMG_0425.jpg

Yes I know the speakers mounted in the wall aren't even. It's my work / reloading bench, and I don't care.

IMG_0423.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361196841.157737.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361196841.157737.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361196884.219313.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361196884.219313.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom