Has Anyone Tried One of These?

I've been looking into a single stage (most likely the Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger) for decapping and resizing.

I came across this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Perf...858078?hash=item33ab18c01e:g:bA4AAOSwhcJWHqh3

It seems pretty cool. I like the idea, just not sure if it's the way to go. My main reason for wanting to do prep on a single stage is consistency in sizing and to keep the Dillon 550 clean. Not sure if the pan on the conversion will do that or not. Seems like it will catch the used primer dust.

The same guy offering this conversion kit on ebay also sells a 650 kit on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dillon-650-Si...ingle+stage+press&refinements=p_89:Snowshooze

Seems to get good reviews.

Bench space isn't really an issue for me at the moment, and I'd likely mount the single stage in a removable fashion anyway and only mount it when needed.

I'm more interested in thoughts on performance between the two.

Have not tried one but If I already had the 550 or 650 I think I would just run it with out the other dies to do a large bulk of decap/resize?
I'm always on the look out for used single stage presses.

You might be able to pick up a used RCBS "Rock Chucker" for about $100. Primer dust shouldn't be much of a problem. I keep a tooth brush on the bench to clean off the 550 every once in a while.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll just keep using the Dillon for now and keep my eyes open for a decent used single stage.

I decap on a Hornady LnL using a Lee universal decapping die. That avoids the problem of gumming up my resizing dies with range dirt. Then I wet tumble, dry, resize, and prime on the same press and put away my clean, primed brass ready for reloading. I'm sure a single stage press would work OK for that operation but a progressive makes is so simple since the brass cycles around and ejects all by itself.

While the Dillon single stage conversion is a clever idea. It seems to me to be an idea in search for a problem. Single stage reloaders are so inexpensive that unless you are really pressed for space, you might as well just buy a single stage to compliment your Dillon.

While the Dillon single stage conversion is a clever idea. It seems to me to be an idea in search for a problem. Single stage reloaders are so inexpensive that unless you are really pressed for space, you might as well just buy a single stage to compliment your Dillon.

This.

I use a 550B and a Lee Classic.

If I were to do it over, I'd get the Rock Chucker, since it cams over unlike the Lee.

I agree. After thinking about it some more, I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a decent, used single stage.

If I were to do it over, I'd get the Rock Chucker, since it cams over unlike the Lee.

What's the benefit of a cam over?

I decap on a Hornady LnL using a Lee universal decapping die. That avoids the problem of gumming up my resizing dies with range dirt. Then I wet tumble, dry, resize, and prime on the same press and put away my clean, primed brass ready for reloading. I'm sure a single stage press would work OK for that operation but a progressive makes is so simple since the brass cycles around and ejects all by itself.

I have an RCBS universal decapping die, and I just got a wet tumbler which should be here by the end of the week. I'm more concerned with sizing consistency on rifle brass than I am with cleanliness. Then again, I'm only shooting AR platform rifles so it probably doesn't matter all that much anyway.

The accepted method is to clean your brass before doing any processing.

I agree 100% with respect to pistols and bulk rifle ammo.

With respect to precision rifle ammo, many people like to decap the cases before tumbling so that the primer pockets are cleaned. I wouldn't want to use a resizing/decapping die on dirty brass because it can scratch and dirty the dies which can then scratch the brass that subsequently goes into the die. So I use a lee universal decapping die, which doesn't touch the sides of the case while decapping. Then I tumble. Then I resize with no decapping pin.

Don

Last edited:
See Don's post above. Like him, and as stated in my post, I use the Lee decapping die. It is the best $8 I spent on reloading. I decap everything with it before cleaning -- rifle and pistol. Using that method, I get brass that looks factory new inside and out, including the primer pocket. Also -- and back to the point of my reply to the OP -- I can crank out cases super fast on a progressive press so I would not recommend anyone buy a whole single stage setup just to decap when it is faster and cheaper to do it on a progressive, unless you want to decap and prime at the same time.

A press just to deprime? Get the Lee Reloading Press for about $25. I do all that work in the garage so I don't carry "stuff" into the house.
If you are rich, get a Forster Co-Ax, since you won't need to worry about shell holders for each different cartridge.
If you want to size off the main press, I can't even comprehend the reason, but if the little Lee was too much work, I would get a cheap used press or the Lee Challenger. Or, again, get the Co-Ax and have a great press.
You know, in over 40 years, I have never needed a press to cam over. Simply sizing the case has always been good enough.

A press just to deprime? Get the Lee Reloading Press for about $25. I do all that work in the garage so I don't carry "stuff" into the house.
If you are rich, get a Forster Co-Ax, since you won't need to worry about shell holders for each different cartridge.
If you want to size off the main press, I can't even comprehend the reason, but if the little Lee was too much work, I would get a cheap used press or the Lee Challenger. Or, again, get the Co-Ax and have a great press.
You know, in over 40 years, I have never needed a press to cam over. Simply sizing the case has always been good enough.

If I were to get a single stage press, it would be for decapping and resizing (typically rifle). A single stage tends to be more consistent with regards to sizing, because there's no 'play' in the tool head. As I previously stated, it probably doesn't matter much to me as all of my rifles are AR platform. So I wouldn't likely realize the benefit...I just tend to be a little OCD.

Hmm now that I google it, I'm seeing it both ways on the internet, but I've never used a Rock Chucker. I remember reading or hearing that they were cam-over presses years ago and just took it for gospel.

I have two that I bought a few years ago to use in my reloading classes. They don't cam over. I think it's possible that some of the older Rockchuckers did though.

I ended up ordering the Lee Breech Lock single stage from Amazon. I had some points to use up and figured what the hell. I bought the press, and shell holders for $20 after my cc points.

You can buy the $25 Lee Reloading Press and a Lee Universal Decapper die for less. I do this prior to case cleaning. Sizing is still on the press.

You can buy the $25 Lee Reloading Press and a Lee Universal Decapper die for less. I do this prior to case cleaning. Sizing is still on the press

I'll probably use it for resizing rifle brass as well as decapping so I think I'd be better off with the 'O' frame for rigidity and stability.

Back
Top Bottom