• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone on this forum with a CWOF successfully been granted their Class A LTC?

Same boat here- LTC granted after some explaining. Not even a ticket since 1996.

I know a guy who has a couple CWOF for stupid stuff and he has an LTC.

You don't get CWOF for armed robbery, only stupid stuff that the court doesn't care to deal with and you can't afford to fight.

He also had a felony A&B dangerous weapon but that was dismissed. For that he had to write a letter to the chief explaining the circumstances. All the stuff on his record was like 25 years old and he hadn't had so much as a ticket since then

Just to ad........ the big picture- I have a job working with kids in the public sector for 20 years, a graduate degree and several children since my "issues". I dunno if this makes a difference............

When the law passed in August, 2014 and the new law is now in effect with all provisions of it fully effective January 15, 2015. You need to do a search on that as well or maybe go to the GOAL website. It explains that change as well as other important changes in the law.

Generally speaking too, if you are applying in another state and they ask if you have ever been denied a license that means in the context of my experience, anyway, have you been denied in any state not just the state you are applying in.

Personally I think you are in a messy situation and you don't quite realize what a CWOF can imply with regard to firearms licensure. Other states deal with this differently. Again, you can save yourself a lot of grief if you consult an attorney who specializes in firearms law in Mass.

You might have no problems or you might get denied, from my perspective it's too much of a crapshoot to go in cold and place yourself entirely at the mercy of the chief or licensing officer. I think you may be fishing around and you want to hear the answer you want to hear so you can go to your local PD and tell them how you made a few mistakes when you were younger and now you have turned your life around. Cops hear those stories 24/7 that will likely not impress them. Far better to have a strategy in place by a seasoned legal professional who has experience on these matters, really.

Other things that might help is a clean driving record, not even a "couple of speeding tickets", have you gone on with higher education? Do you have a steady job? These are all subjective but licensure is subjective in this state. Remember the police are not your friends and I say this as someone who works for the police.

Allow me to clarify - you still have to answer Yes to all the "Group W" bench questions, provide a short letter of explanation and a copy of the docket that says "Dismissed" with the date of the action. A dismissal and a conviction are 2 different things...

If your COP disagrees, get a lawyer.

Wondering if anyone has an updated experience with successfully getting a LTC in Springfield, having an OUI CWOF in 2007. Disclaimer, I also had a possession of stolen motor vehicle (same arrest) that was also CWOF. Reason it was an error on the dealership's behalf, but I was not in any position to afford a lawyer and took the CWOF which would have been a felony. Thank you in advance for any input.

Wondering if anyone has an updated experience with successfully getting a LTC in Springfield, having an OUI CWOF in 2007. Disclaimer, I also had a possession of stolen motor vehicle (same arrest) that was also CWOF. Reason it was an error on the dealership's behalf, but I was not in any position to afford a lawyer and took the CWOF which would have been a felony. Thank you in advance for any input.
If you have money have a MA firearms attorney pull the records and write the applications with explanations of what happened
You do not want a denial

Make sure to provide a clear, not overly lengthy, explanation of everything surrounding the incidents including the mitigating factors. Provide a paragraph on where you are today in your life. But don't forget to provide some mention for every arrest/incident. This will be used to deny you for lying on the application. A copy of your CORI would be helpful in making sure you get everything. It would be good to have an attorney help draft this if you have the funds, because they can make sure the right bits are included and the bad bits that can be safely left out, are so, but ultimately this is doable by you if need be, just use common sense.

Back
Top Bottom