• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone here ever built a Sten?

This is appropos of this thread, even though there's no sound.

The best part starts at around :30 and goes for about a minute. Loading these things onto a truck by the wheelbarrowful.

I'm watching that and the Johnny Cash song One Piece at a Time starts playing in my head.

I think not. Some four million of these were made by various countries, so that's tens of millions of mags. But some militaries were still using these into the '80s.

Anything pre 94 is preban. I doubt any sten mags have been made in the past 25 years.

Oh, shoot! I wasn't even thinking. You're right, of course.

My mind was wandering. I was thinking C&R for some reason.

If they are surplus they should be preban, The indian 20 rounders are. (converted from the regular mags for reliability) I think tapco made some recently that would not be preban. so stick with surplus. The feed lips tend to be easy to bend so be aware of that if they arn't feeding right. they are crappy mags for the most part but can be made to work.

I got the parts kit mostly cleaned up.

One question: How the Hell do you get the back of the tube out of the trigger assembly?

Also, does anybody here Parkerize? I might invest in a setup and do it for others, but I'd like to get a look at the process first?

Aslo: I'm an 07FFL and will be building this as a select fire SBR. If you're jealous enough, PM me and I'll explain how you can do the same thing.

@Wildweasel ?

One question: How the Hell do you get the back of the tube out of the trigger assembly?

I've been doing MUCH research on this since you started the thread, and I believe you chop the welds, then work at it with pliers and something to pry with. If it's a Mk III, it might be silver soldered; if not, there might be a reinforcing weld in the back where the locking slots are.

The reciever is spot welded into the trigger assy. you just have to find the spots they welded and drill them out. scuff it up with some sandpaper and that usally shows the spots. (the war time ones were gas welded , they filled in a drilled spot. ) they can be a PITA to get them out.
Jim if you need to borrow the mag tools I will make an exception for you lol.

Edit 3 LOL I do PArkerizing, I use Manganese Phosphate Parkerizing Solution for a black finish and I have a tank that will do up to a MG42 I will find the link to them.

Last edited:
The reciever is spot welded into the trigger assy. you just have to find the spots they welded and drill them out. scuff it up with some sandpaper and that usally shows the spots. (the war time ones were gas welded , they filled in a drilled spot. ) they can be a PITA to get them out.
Jim if you need to borrow the mag tools I will make an exception for you lol.

Edit 3 LOL I do PArkerizing, I use Manganese Phosphate Parkerizing Solution for a black finish and I have a tank that will do up to a MG42 I will find the link to them.
I got the ears free. I have a burr bit that I can use with a drill (think aggressive rotary file) I'll try scuffing to see if I can find the spot welds.

What's the prep for Parkerizing? It might be time for a visit when I'm ready.

I made a Mk2 SBR (stamped) because I can’t stand 16” barrels on sub-guns. Indy Ordinance bolt and tube, rest of the parts from a demil kit. I salt blued it myself, but if you glass bead it before the salt bath, it’s close to Park looks wise.

Also, does anybody here Parkerize? I might invest in a setup and do it for others, but I'd like to get a look at the process first?

Aslo: I'm an 07FFL and will be building this as a select fire SBR. If you're jealous enough, PM me and I'll explain how you can do the same thing.

@Wildweasel ?

Go here and see the demill part three. He's doing a MK III but they're all basically the same.

I got the ears free. I have a burr bit that I can use with a drill (think aggressive rotary file) I'll try scuffing to see if I can find the spot welds.

clean with solvent then I use alum oxide in my blast cabinet , without touching the now blasted part I hit it with brake cleaner and into a preheat /another clean with Purple power cleaner , then into a clear water rinse and then into the park solution. cook until done to the level of park you want then into another clear water rinse, then if you are not doing a paint over it dry it off with compressed air and then wd-40 or PB blaster to displace any water and load the park with oil. hang and let drip off. If you want to do a top layer of paint (duracoat or the like ) I get it out of the rinse and dry it with air and a heatgun. then hang and paint.

We are always happy to have a visit from you Jim.

Lol.

I'm already bidding on mags. WTF is wrong with me?
Tapco made the mags for Masterpiece Arms. They work so much better than standard Sten or Indian mags. The Brit mags, when loaded to capacity jam because the rounds wedge in the mag. Brass rails added to the Indian ones were supposed to stop it but I’ve still had them wedge.

Burner to heat solution.
Thermometer to read up to 200-220F ( parkerizing is done at 185-190 F
Stainless tank large enough and deep enough to hold the parts you'll be doing.
Degreasing solution to remove all oils from parts.
A bead blaster box to clean the parts
White cloth gloves to handle parts after bead blasting, oils from your hands will ruin the parkerizing job.
Some pieces of rebar to go across the top of your park tank.
Stainless steel wire to hook onto the rebar to suspend parts in solution. ( they can't sit on the bottom)
Fresh water dip to rinse parts after parking,
Air to blow dry
Oil to immediately oil parts
A rack to drain the excess oil

MG34.com for solution concentrate.

I've parkerized hundreds upon hundreds of parts with his stuff, comes out great!

Oh, have a well ventillated area to work in or a low velocity fan above and behind the hot tank to pull the fumes. They're not severe but irritating over time.

Tapco made the mags for Masterpiece Arms. They work so much better than standard Sten or Indian mags. The Brit mags, when loaded to capacity jam because the rounds wedge in the mag. Brass rails added to the Indian ones were supposed to stop it but I’ve still had them wedge.

I'd just get milsurp and underload them. That's received wisdom in our army, too. Thanks for the tip.

@Wildweasel ?
How about black oxiding it?

I was at the Knob Creek MG Shoot in 2000; it was Sunday (last day) and the vendors were packing up to leave. I went a by a guy's table that had been selling STEN parts kits and mags. I told him I needed spare parts and some mags for my Mark 11. He pointed to a box of parts and said "I'll make you a deal you can't refuse" I couldn't refuse. There were 2 Lanchester (50 rd) mags in there too with these crazy assortment of parts 3 mag loaders, stocks, bolts, and god knows what else. Best 300 bucks I ever spent. reading this post made me go down to the basement and drag out the box to see what was in there. I just noticed that about 10 of those mags are Indian reduced capacity mags with the wire internal guides. Now you guys got me wanting to build
another one...I think I almost have enough parts IMG_3092 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
It's already shipped... and it's showing out of stock. Wonder whether I got the last one...

Jeez. It's already at my post office.

That's some decent shipping. I'll see what I end up with and maybe think about starting a build thread.

I was at the Knob Creek MG Shoot in 2000; it was Sunday (last day) and the vendors were packing up to leave. I went a by a guy's table that had been selling STEN parts kits and mags. I told him I needed spare parts and some mags for my Mark 11. He pointed to a box of parts and said "I'll make you a deal you can't refuse" I couldn't refuse. There were 2 Lanchester (50 rd) mags in there too with these crazy assortment of parts 3 mag loaders, stocks, bolts, and god knows what else. Best 300 bucks I ever spent. reading this post made me go down to the basement and drag out the box to see what was in there. I just noticed that about 10 of those mags are Indian reduced capacity mags with the wire internal guides. Now you guys got me wanting to build
another one...I think I almost have enough partsView attachment 356488
You hit the jackpot there. Those 3 skeleton stocks alone are worth around $200.

@Wildweasel ?
ive been serious looking into it, since im sick of having to convert builds to semi lol. there's been a few like my pkt/pkm if i didn't have to convert to semi i could of had it working in 2 hours from a cut up parts kit. vs spending hours making a open bolt belt fed hammer fired. im probably going to hell for using a German hk semi trigger group .

IMG_3980.JPG

Back
Top Bottom